Reload this Page >

Crossing the US Border as a British Citizen

Crossing the US Border as a British Citizen

Old Feb 5th 2023, 8:19 am
Just Joined

AmazingBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crossing the US Border as a British Citizen

Hi there everyone,

I'm planning on heading to the Detroit area for about 3 months. I have a British Passport and my ESTA expires next year. How have your experiences been crossing this border? What kinds of questions were you asked? Is there anything i should be aware of? Is there any other form of documentation that i'll need when crossing?

Is there anything i should be preparing for? This is my 1st time doing this so thanks for any advice or help.
Blue.
Old Feb 5th 2023, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing the US Border as a British Citizen

Arrival at Land Port of Entry or Ferry Terminal

Since January 22, 2022, DHS has allowed inbound non-U.S. travelers (non-U.S. citizens who are neither U.S. nationals nor lawful permanent residents) to seek to enter the United States via a land port of entry (POE) or ferry terminal if they are fully vaccinated and have appropriate documentation.

Non-U.S. individuals traveling to the United States via land ports of entry or ferry terminals, whether for essential or non-essential reasons, must:
  • verbally attest to their COVID-19 vaccination status;
  • provide, upon request, proof of a CDC-approved COVID-19 vaccination, as outlined on the CDC website;
  • present a valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document, such as a valid passport, Trusted Traveler Program Card, or Enhanced Tribal Card;
  • be prepared to present any other relevant documents requested by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer during a border inspection; and
COVID-19 testing is not required for entry via a land or ferry port of entry.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/...erry-terminals

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors
Old Feb 7th 2023, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Crossing the US Border as a British Citizen

Hi,

We’ve crossed into the US via the BC/Washington land borders many times. We were directed to park up and enter the office for questioning, photos and fingerprints. We were travelling on UK passports prior to becoming Canadian citizens in 2015. This was before electronic I94 processing. You can now do it online:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/i-94

Our top tips for talking to US border guards:
  1. Be very specific about why you are going to Detroit for 3 months. If you have hotel or accommodation booked, print off copies to show the guards. Be prepared to show proof of funds and intention/ties to your home country. 3 months in Detroit doesn’t scream vacation and their default is suspicion.
  2. Do not show anything or carry anything referring to employment or job seeking. Even “helping my buddy” move could be deemed to be working illegally.
  3. Check your car and possessions for any cannabis debris, vape cannabis products or anything that their dogs could detect. It’s deemed to be drug trafficking to carry any cannabis or products over the US border.
  4. Have you any prior convictions, check in advance if it makes you inadmissible to the US.
  5. Be prepared for them to examine the contents of your phone.
  6. Act calm and speak clearly. Do not have a hood up.
We learned a lot from waiting in the queue in the border office and hearing other people talking with the guards.

Hope this helps,

Sarah