Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crossing at the Rainbow Bridge

Crossing at the Rainbow Bridge

Old Sep 18th 2011, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Crossing at the Rainbow Bridge

My mum and sister are visiting me and we staying a few days at Niagara Falls, ON anyway we plan to cross into the US for a day for shopping purposes etc,

I will be traveling into the US my CND passport and my sister and Mum on British, will this cause problems.

coming back to canada does my mum have to pay duty and hst ? if she is flying back to england in a week.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 4:58 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing at the Rainbow Bridge

Those with a UK passport will have to complete the visa waiver thingy ($6 us I believe - they do take credit cards)), depending on how busy they are will depend on how long you will be held up, it's a simple process. Have no idea on taxes though.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss
My mum and sister are visiting me and we staying a few days at Niagara Falls, ON anyway we plan to cross into the US for a day for shopping purposes etc,

I will be traveling into the US my CND passport and my sister and Mum on British, will this cause problems.

coming back to canada does my mum have to pay duty and hst ? if she is flying back to england in a week.
On a day trip Anything you bring back will be subject to CDN tax and duty where applicable. Visitors to Canada are not exempt, they will have to pay as well.

A few groceries you may get away with.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss

Personal exemptions are low for a day trip. $50 I think. If you bring back goods worth more than that, you pay duty on the lot.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Personal exemptions are low for a day trip. $50 I think. If you bring back goods worth more than that, you pay duty on the lot.
This is completely incorrect.

For under 24 hours there is no exemption. Over 24 hours it is $50, read here for the rest. http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/p...-eng.html#s2x9

You don't pay 'duty on the lot'. Duty depends on the tariff code and where the items are made. Under NAFTA items are duty free, some foreign made items are duty free. Anything over the exemption will attract tax however.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:32 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Visitors to Canada are not exempt, they will have to pay as well.
Are you sure about this? I have always been curious about this scenario. It seems to me that as long as the goods would be leaving the country with the visitor they would be exempt (as the visitor has left the country and re-entered). If the items were to remain in Canada or be gifts I can see it. Otherwise why would they have to pay duty etc?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Are you sure about this? I have always been curious about this scenario. It seems to me that as long as the goods would be leaving the country with the visitor they would be exempt (as the visitor has left the country and re-entered). If the items were to remain in Canada or be gifts I can see it. Otherwise why would they have to pay duty etc?
This can be the case, sometimes the visitor will be asked to leave a security deposit and fill in an E29B, temporary admission permit. Usually a lot more hassle than its worth for a days shopping. It is not supposed to get around the exemptions and importation rules though.

It is up to the officer at the POE.

Visitors leaving and reentering are otherwise subject to the same exemptions as residents.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago when I had gone over to Canada see my daughter and family we all went over the Rainbow Bridge for a 24 hour shopping trip. On the way back at the border we were stopped by a grim faced , big ,butch female officer who meant business. We had purchased quite a lot of items and she made us open the boot and was going through all the bags. She then asked to see our passports and it was great to see her face fall when she saw my British passport and I said all the items were mine. She then waved us through with no further questions and my family said they would be taking me over the border on future trips!

Granma Nessie
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:07 am
Just Joined

bmnewmarket is an unknown quantity at this point

just as an addition, last time I was there they also will take the fingerprints of anyone. So if they don't want their prints on record with homeland security you better skip the trip!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
When we were visiting Canada before we lived here as pr's, anytime we crossed over for day trips into the States and bought stuff the canadian border people just asked whether the goods would be staying in Canada and if they were coming home to England with us we didn't have to pay anything.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
This is completely incorrect.

For under 24 hours there is no exemption. Over 24 hours it is $50, read here for the rest. http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/p...-eng.html#s2x9

You don't pay 'duty on the lot'. Duty depends on the tariff code and where the items are made. Under NAFTA items are duty free, some foreign made items are duty free. Anything over the exemption will attract tax however.
Hardly "completely incorrect"...

After each absence of 24 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead, you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Hardly "completely incorrect"...

After each absence of 24 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead, you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.
How's it hardly "Completely Incorrect"? It was incorrect, and the Aviator was spot on in highlighting it. Under 24 hours there is no exemption (unless the goods are made in the States or Mexico - see NAFTA). AFTER 24 hours, you get the $50 exemption.

We often nip over the border once every other month to stock up on groceries. For anyone in the Ottawa area, I highly recommend crossing at Cornwall or Prescott.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolstie
How's it hardly "Completely Incorrect"? It was incorrect, and the Aviator was spot on in highlighting it. Under 24 hours there is no exemption (unless the goods are made in the States or Mexico - see NAFTA). AFTER 24 hours, you get the $50 exemption.

We often nip over the border once every other month to stock up on groceries. For anyone in the Ottawa area, I highly recommend crossing at Cornwall or Prescott.
The confusion was caused by my use of the term "day trip". I meant a trip of at least a day - not a trip of less than 24 hours.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

The confusion was caused by my use of the term "day trip". I meant a trip of at least a day - not a trip of less than 24 hours.
Ah ok, my definition of a day trip to the states is popping over for just a few hours to stock up on chicken and cheese.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolstie
Ah ok, my definition of a day trip to the states is popping over for just a few hours to stock up on chicken and cheese.
Right - that's how probably everyone would interpret it. My fault for using the wrong term.