Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crossing the border, UK passport- Canadian citizen

Crossing the border, UK passport- Canadian citizen

Old Jul 29th 2009, 12:45 am
Just Joined

southlondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crossing the border, UK passport- Canadian citizen

I recently received my Canadian citizenship, but still carry a British Passport, if I cross the US border will I still be subject to the fingerprinting-visa waiver nonsense?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:10 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing the border, UK passport- Canadian citizen

Originally Posted by southlondon
I recently received my Canadian citizenship, but still carry a British Passport, if I cross the US border will I still be subject to the fingerprinting-visa waiver nonsense?
Depends on who you get I think - a Brit friend recently got theirs and hasn't got passport yet, gets let through without an I94.... Presume he's showing them his citizenship card and British passport, which I presume you have....
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Yes I have both, but I have heard stories of the US not recognizing "dual citizenship". If it's not a problem I don't see any reason to get a Canadian passport. Do you?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:30 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southlondon
Yes I have both, but I have heard stories of the US not recognizing "dual citizenship". If it's not a problem I don't see any reason to get a Canadian passport. Do you?
It is a problem. If you are a citizen of Canada, and reside there, and as of June 1, 2009, you must cross into the US using Canadian issued ID.
e.g. Canadian Passport, or Enhanced Driver’s Licence/Enhanced Identification Card for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea but not air. Trusted Traveler Programs...

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/index.html

It is for this very reason I got Canadian passports and an Enhanced Drivers License, as I cross border shop with relative frequency. I was explicitly told that I cannot use my British passport as I am a Canadian citizen. You don't argue.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I was explicitly told that I cannot use my British passport as I am a Canadian citizen.
You were told wrong! But a Canadian passport is highly preferable, for a variety of reasons.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You were told wrong! But a Canadian passport is highly preferable, for a variety of reasons.
What are the reasons?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:01 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
We've had this discussion before, and next time at the border, I asked again, based on what you said.I was told exactly the same thing - cross by land, as a Canadian citizen, you cannot use a British passport with a citizenship card. I checked with the Canadian border guard on the way back, same answer, as far as he knew.

http://www.visitwindsor.com/before%20you%20go/WHTI.pdf

This seems to confirm it - though not explicitly stated, it does say Canadian citizens will be required to present one of the following...

and this explicitly states it has to be a Canadian passport, if you are a Canadian citizen.
http://canadaonline.about.com/od/tra...docsus2009.htm
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/index.html

and finally...right at the bottom, it makes the distinction between citizens and non-citizens; citizens have to present WHTI compliant documentation. This does not include a passport from another country.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/ls-tm-eng.html

Last edited by dingbat; Jul 29th 2009 at 2:23 am. Reason: Added a link
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We've had this discussion before, and next time at the border, I asked again, based on what you said.I was told exactly the same thing - cross by land, as a Canadian citizen, you cannot use a British passport with a citizenship card. I checked with the Canadian border guard on the way back, same answer, as far as he knew.
If you have a British passport you don't need a Canadian citizenship card (to enter the United States on the visa waiver). But of course the border guard may be curious to know where you live and what is your status in that country ...
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:31 am
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have a British passport you don't need a Canadian citizenship card (to enter the United States on the visa waiver). But of course the border guard may be curious to know where you live and what is your status in that country ...
We may be talking at cross purposes. The issue was that I was a Canadian citizen. I do not get the choice to use my Brit passport anymore when entering the US, with the intention of returning to Canada. I cannot use the visa waiver program, basically, if I live here. Honestly JAJ, you know the hassles I have had going to and from this damn country, so I made 110% sure I was going to be compliant. The border guards are very consistent on the Canadian citizen thing, and weirdly, since June, apart from one hiccup, its been a breeze with my EDL.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:43 am
JAJ
Retired

We may be talking at cross purposes. The issue was that I was a Canadian citizen. I do not get the choice to use my Brit passport anymore when entering the US, with the intention of returning to Canada. I cannot use the visa waiver program, basically, if I live here. Honestly JAJ, you know the hassles I have had going to and from this damn country, so I made 110% sure I was going to be compliant. The border guards are very consistent on the Canadian citizen thing, and weirdly, since June, apart from one hiccup, its been a breeze with my EDL.

There is no US law mandating that a Canadian citizen must use a Canadian passport to enter the United States. If such a person wishes to use a different passport, with the appropriate visa (or waiver), that is legal.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:01 am
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is no US law mandating that a Canadian citizen must use a Canadian passport to enter the United States. If such a person wishes to use a different passport, with the appropriate visa (or waiver), that is legal.
We'll agree to disagree - it has not been my recent (less than two weeks ago) experience of the US position at the border. They always ask where you are coming from, where is home, how long are you going for, are you a Canadian citizen, answer yes, you need WHTI compliant documentation.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I agree with dingbat here, my wifes father was refused entry last week into the US by land using his british passport, they told him he needed to enter from Canada as a Canadian citizen using proper documents.

So where it matters (at the border) they seem to disagree a bit.

Unless of course you a US citizen as well..

(US Citizens have to enter the US as a US citizen regardless of other citizenships.)
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
But, surely, if one offers another passport (ie: non-Canadian), then one is presenting oneself as being NOT Canadian, no?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

We'll agree to disagree - it has not been my recent (less than two weeks ago) experience of the US position at the border. They always ask where you are coming from, where is home, how long are you going for, are you a Canadian citizen, answer yes, you need WHTI compliant documentation.
It's not a question of "agreeing to disagree", it's a matter of legal fact that United States law does not demand that a Canadian citizen enter as a Canadian citizen.

All that said, why on earth someone who is dual British/Canadian would want to enter the United States on anything other than a Canadian passport is a mystery, barring emergencies when Canadian passport is unavailable.

It is quite possible that border guards do not understand the law.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:54 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by AdrianR
But, surely, if one offers another passport (ie: non-Canadian), then one is presenting oneself as being NOT Canadian, no?
Correct. For example, a dual Australian/Canadian citizen may choose to use an Australian passport to obtain an E-3 visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.