Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crossing the border, UK passport- Canadian citizen

Crossing the border, UK passport- Canadian citizen

Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of
Default Re: Crossing the border, UK passport- Canadian citizen

I flew to the US from Canada using my British passport and Canadian Citizenship card because I had to travel before I had chance to get a passport. It was prior to the needing a passport for land crossing rule that just came into effect but post needing a passport to fly. The INS guy let me in but he was a bit annoyed about it, I think it was close enough to the rule changing that they were giving people some leeway as not too long before that I could have flown just using the citizenship card as proof.
Now of course I use a Canadian passport.
As mentioned above the only difference really to entering as a Canadian citizen is you avoid the visa waiver hassle of photo and fingerprint and one extra form but really that only takes 5 minutes and I have no doubt the US will make that universally apply to Canadians before long.
I would imagine the problem they have with using both is that they contradict each other. One says let me in as a Canadian Citizen and the other as a UK Citizen and really you should enter as one or the other. So either use a Canadian passport or enter as a UK citizen and just use the Citizenship when re-entering Canada to prove you are a citizen and can enter freely.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:30 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is quite possible that border guards do not understand the law.
Of that, I am absolutely sure.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:54 pm
A Brit where every U live

Bad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dingbat
It is for this very reason I got Canadian passports and an Enhanced Drivers License, as I cross border shop with relative frequency. I was explicitly told that I cannot use my British passport as I am a Canadian citizen. You don't argue.

So they told you even though you have a valid passport (British) and a Canadian citizenship card (Proof of being a Canadian) that you still had to get a Canadian passport?

Was it the Canadian side by chance where this happened........
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:01 pm
A Brit where every U live

Bad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
You were told wrong! But a Canadian passport is highly preferable, for a variety of reasons.
JAJ

I at the present time run both passports British/Canadian and it is a hell of a cost.

If we could/can use the British with the Canadian citizenship card it would make perfect sense, only one expense as well as having both countries IE citizenship covered, (Card for Canada passport for England) as well as the obvious the Canadian one only for five verses the English ten plus getting the British done in the states now and paying us funds for it.

Last edited by Bad1; Feb 21st 2010 at 2:02 pm. Reason: Change post