crne

Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Diefenbaker is on a distinguished road
Default crne

Hello, this is my first time writing on here but I've enjoyed reading all your posts for the last couple of months. I want to get a job as a nurse in NS next year, initially for a year on a TWP and want to sit the CRNE next February, before I apply for any jobs. I hope that this might make me more employable as I am a newly qualified nurse working for the Prison Service so I'm not going to have the experience most hospitals will want.
Anyway, I understand that the format for the exam at the moment is multiple choice questions only but will change to include short answer questions in 2010 but when I've looked at buying the prep guide 4th edition it says it includes 75 short answer questions for the new exam. Now I'm sure I've seen that a new edition of the guide is due out in November 08 but cannot find out where I saw that so I'd like to ask, does anyone know if the 4th edition is current or will there be a new guide in November and am I right about the format? Thanks.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Re: crne

Hi Diefenbaker

The current format of the exam is multiple choice only, there were short answer questions in it but they were dropped this year for some reason. they are in the prep book for that reason.

I don't know if there is a new edition due out.

as to your experience I think you may struggle to be allowed to sit the exam. My OH applied in Alberta but they were looking for a minimum period of experience (2 years I think) to issue the temp licence and authorise sitting the exam. I would speak to the nursing board and get an idea if this might be the case there too.

HTH
Tom

PS 4th edition is the current edition
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually started the process with NS nursing board, may be pushing it to sit in Feb as I think everything needs doing before Nov 1st? However no reason getting ball rolling with a TWP but I think employers will want to know you are eligible for CRNE
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to get your training transcripts accredited by the CRNNS in order to be allowed the take the exam. You will have to demonstrate sufficient hours theory and practice in a number of clinical areas. The transcripts are provided by your university and statements are needed from your employer. This process can take a few months so the sooner you start the better.

You will find all the info on the CRNNS webiste and I would suggest that you read the nursing WIKI if you haven't done so already.

If you are already employed and are not planning to come out until next year you will have experience under your belt by then so I am sure that you will be able to get employment. How long have you been qualified?

I did my CRNE last year and have recently moved out to NS on a TWP so if you need any more info just ask and I will help if I can.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Have you actually started the process with NS nursing board, may be pushing it to sit in Feb as I think everything needs doing before Nov 1st? However no reason getting ball rolling with a TWP but I think employers will want to know you are eligible for CRNE
Has this changed recently?

I ask because I started the process last March and my transcripts were approved in May. The CRNNS offered me the June sitting but I deferred until October as I couldn't get the time off in June to fly over.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies. I qualified in May and am about to gain some hospital experience by working in a local hospital on their bank, as well as my prison work, so I hope that will help me at least get an interview. I have my transcripts from the university so I will contact the CRRNS on Monday and see if I can apply for the February.
Does anyone know if any hospitals outside of Halifax recruit relatively inexperienced foreign nurses? I would have loved to worked for Correctional Services Canada but I spent a week with them in Springhill last year during my training so I know their are no vacancies, but what a great team!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

You will find nurses very much in demand in rural areas if you are willing to live there. Just depends how close to the city you want to be.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:39 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I know nothing about nursing but just wanted to say cool forum name (presumably after the dog and not the late 50's early 60's Canadian premier he was named after )
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:32 pm
Edmonton arrived

crg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond reputecrg2704 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diefenbaker
Hello, this is my first time writing on here but I've enjoyed reading all your posts for the last couple of months. I want to get a job as a nurse in NS next year, initially for a year on a TWP and want to sit the CRNE next February, before I apply for any jobs. I hope that this might make me more employable as I am a newly qualified nurse working for the Prison Service so I'm not going to have the experience most hospitals will want.
Anyway, I understand that the format for the exam at the moment is multiple choice questions only but will change to include short answer questions in 2010 but when I've looked at buying the prep guide 4th edition it says it includes 75 short answer questions for the new exam. Now I'm sure I've seen that a new edition of the guide is due out in November 08 but cannot find out where I saw that so I'd like to ask, does anyone know if the 4th edition is current or will there be a new guide in November and am I right about the format? Thanks.
i am also a nurse who started the process with 6mth qualified experience(was offered a position with capital health-Alberta), if this helps your 1st question. with the CARNE exam i am sure it is now multi choice..also their new prep guide is out around nov....RCN libary has it on order,however,they do have copies of the old prep guide just ask and they can get it to your nearest branch libary...i have just asked for a copy pick it up monday.it can but help. my suggestion would be to get verified before arranging exam that way you know that you will be eligible to sit the exam then work.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Has this changed recently?

I ask because I started the process last March and my transcripts were approved in May. The CRNNS offered me the June sitting but I deferred until October as I couldn't get the time off in June to fly over.
Looking at the NS website all be it looking at earlier this year the exam application had to be submitted along with other require documentation 2 months before sitting the exam and bearing in mind delays with Christmas and New year I read elsewhere that submission date was beginning of November
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Hi
I am relatively experienced nurse and have just come to Edmonton on a TWP.
I'm at an advantage because I'm a Adult and Childrens Nurse.

I'm working as a Grad nurse at the moment and sit my CRNE in Oct.

I've found working here for a few months before the exam to be incredibly useful.

The style of training and examination is slightly different to the UK.

There are also Exam Prep courses run at a lot of colleges and they are really useful too.

The fact that you hold nursing qualifications makes you employable in Canada - they are desperate for nurses.

Hope that helps

Nikki
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Hi I know nothing about nursing but just wanted to say cool forum name (presumably after the dog and not the late 50's early 60's Canadian premier he was named after )
Thanks, I can't imagine how you thought of your name!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nikki Ian
Hi
I am relatively experienced nurse and have just come to Edmonton on a TWP.
I'm at an advantage because I'm a Adult and Childrens Nurse.

I'm working as a Grad nurse at the moment and sit my CRNE in Oct.

I've found working here for a few months before the exam to be incredibly useful.

The style of training and examination is slightly different to the UK.

There are also Exam Prep courses run at a lot of colleges and they are really useful too.

The fact that you hold nursing qualifications makes you employable in Canada - they are desperate for nurses.

Hope that helps

Nikki
Thank you, That's encouraging. Thought I'd do the exam before I go as although I'm an Adult nurse, working in a prison means I work with mainly mental health patients, so I'm trying to make myself more employable. I'm going to order some textbooks from amazon.ca but the choice is bewildering.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to me and for all your encouragement and suggestions. I shall contact CRRNS this weekend and start the ball rolling, thought I had enough time but obviously not!