Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Criminal Conviction - inadmissability

Criminal Conviction - inadmissability

Old Dec 24th 2015, 10:06 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Criminal Conviction - inadmissability

If a person has criminal convictions in the UK that would make them inadmissible to Canada, how would the CBSA know? When they arrive at, say, the airport, they don't declare their conviction/s, can they be picked up from their passports?
Old Dec 24th 2015, 10:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Conviction - inadmissability

Maybe, maybe not, but it would be foolish to assume that you can get away with not disclosing a conviction.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 10:21 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe, maybe not, but it would be foolish to assume that you can get away with not disclosing a conviction.
Would it be foolish if disclosing it means you don't get into the country though. Whereas not disclosing it means you may well get in. Or is there some sort of record attached to your passport? If not, it would seem your only chance is to keep quiet.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 10:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Would it be foolish if disclosing it means you don't get into the country though. Whereas not disclosing it means you may well get in. Or is there some sort of record attached to your passport? If not, it would seem your only chance is to keep quiet.
Not to declare it would be classed as visa fraud, something that if found out would lead to at the least a very lengthy ban, and perhaps a lifetime ban from ever visiting Canada. Who really knows just what the various immigration officials can find out and what they share with each other.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 10:51 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not to declare it would be classed as visa fraud, something that if found out would lead to at the least a very lengthy ban, and perhaps a lifetime ban from ever visiting Canada. Who really knows just what the various immigration officials can find out and what they share with each other.
I would have thought though that unless your conviction is linked and flagged directly to your passport it would be a case of catch me if you can. If this is the case, I wonder how many are let into Canada who don't disclose convictions and essentially "get away with it".
Old Dec 24th 2015, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to think that Canada's Border Control have ways to detect foreign criminals attempting to enter Canada, but I think I'm probably living in dreamland. Perhaps FL can enlighten us as to their detection methods.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 11:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Tell him to keep his mouth shut, especially if it was awhile ago.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 11:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Oink
Tell him to keep his mouth shut, especially if it was awhile ago.
If it happened at all it was probably fairly recently.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 11:25 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I would like to think that Canada's Border Control have ways to detect foreign criminals attempting to enter Canada, but I think I'm probably living in dreamland. Perhaps FL can enlighten us as to their detection methods.
I'm told that if they are wearing a back striped top, carrying a big sack with "swag " written in big letters with a pair of tights over their head then they are at high suspicion of being considered a bad egg by border Security. They do look for subtle giveaways like that
Old Dec 24th 2015, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe foreign countries share information in their immigration computers.
Old Dec 25th 2015, 12:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought though that unless your conviction is linked and flagged directly to your passport it would be a case of catch me if you can. If this is the case, I wonder how many are let into Canada who don't disclose convictions and essentially "get away with it".
So somebody enters a country such as Canada on a visitor's visa, claiming they have no convictions.......and they get away with concealing the truth.
Couple of years down the line they want to emigrate, either for a job, or maybe they want to marry a person who lives in that country. At that point they have to produce proper police checks........and then the Immigration Dept tie up the applications together and it comes to light that not only does the person have a record, but they committed visa fraud by not declaring it in the first place.......
Old Dec 25th 2015, 12:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winston_1
Maybe foreign countries share information in their immigration computers.
Ya think? ..... And their national crime/conviction databases.
Old Dec 25th 2015, 1:17 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ya think? ..... And their national crime/conviction databases.
Maybe with some countries they share information, but do you think CBSA has "there and then" access to an up to date criminal conviction database for every country? Maybe they have reciprocal data sharing with the key ones, UK USA, but Turkey, Bolivia, Mongolia etc etc? I highly doubt it, which means someone who has convictions but doesn't declare them is free to enter Canada as a visitor?
Old Dec 25th 2015, 2:40 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

I had a schoolboy conviction that stays on my record for life and I was told to declare it on my application. I thought about not declaring it, but decided to be honest.

I've never once been questioned about it since living here.

Lucky? Maybe?
Old Dec 25th 2015, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Swingdoor is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the safest option would be to just get down to the Canadian embassy and get your criminal convictions rehabilitated. You then don't need to lie and still get in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.