British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Crime rates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/crime-rates-560435/)

dbd33 Sep 9th 2008 8:32 pm

Re: Crime rates

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6766507)
As usual, I get to pick up your sloppy leftovers.

Mop away!

Jules Europe Sep 9th 2008 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6766479)
This is rather old but:

"18% of the 164,200 immigrants were unable to converse in either English or French when they settled in Canada. This was partly because of the high proportion of immigrants from non-English- and non-French-speaking countries."

http://www.statcan.ca/english/freepu.../character.htm

This is why language classes are given each year to potential immigrants to integrate them, part of the reason why immigration has limits each year is because it can only absorb so many.

Biiiiink Sep 9th 2008 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jules Europe (Post 6766515)
This is why language classes are given each year to potential immigrants to integrate them, part of the reason why immigration has limits each year is because it can only absorb so many.

Where? When?

Novocastrian Sep 9th 2008 8:34 pm

Ah, yes. I thought I had a spare pair of rose-tinted specs. Send me a PM with your home address. They're yours. If you need another set.

Jules Europe Sep 9th 2008 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6766507)
As usual, I get to pick up your sloppy leftovers.

Well somebody has got to pick up his sloppy pieces, so it might as be you.:thumbsup:
Certainly noticed the urban sprawl around Toronto you can hardly miss it with traffic a nightmare

dbd33 Sep 9th 2008 8:36 pm

You do know that one can live quite easily in Toronto without English or French, don't you?

dbd33 Sep 9th 2008 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jules Europe (Post 6766531)
Well somebody has got to pick up his sloppy pieces, so it might as be you.:thumbsup:
Certainly noticed the urban sprawl around Toronto you can hardly miss it with traffic a nightmare

Then why did you suggest that Toronto could spread out so as to reduce the population density, it already stretches as far as the eye can see.

btw, I've just been told that the 401 is slow due to a shooting; how topical.

http://www.thestar.com/

Jules Europe Sep 9th 2008 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6766532)
You do know that one can live quite easily in Toronto without English or French, don't you?

Of course the same as they can live in London, New York, Paris etc only difference being that they never fully integrate but as said earlier this is their choice.

dbd33 Sep 9th 2008 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jules Europe (Post 6766547)
Of course the same as they can live in London, New York, Paris etc only difference being that they never fully integrate but as said earlier this is their choice.

It's slightly different here in that non-integration, hyphenation, is government policy but, yes, that's another way in which life in London is not unique but very much like life in Toronto.

Novocastrian Sep 9th 2008 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6766556)
It's slightly different here in that non-integration, hyphenation, is government policy but, yes, that's another way in which life in London is not unique but very much like life in Toronto.

I haven't followed this whole thread (active though, isn't it?), but I rather think that post calls for a "touche".

dbd33 Sep 9th 2008 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6766573)
I haven't followed this whole thread (active though, isn't it?), but I rather think that post calls for a "touche".

I was pleased with that. However, criminality is at work in our backyard; the donkey led a charge up the hill and a mile down the road. I must now take the woman who had to herd them up strong drink to help her over the trauma!

Novocastrian Sep 9th 2008 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6766544)
Then why did you suggest that Toronto could spread out so as to reduce the population density, it already stretches as far as the eye can see.

btw, I've just been told that the 401 is slow due to a shooting; how topical.

http://www.thestar.com/

“It’s possibly a homicide,” Vella said. “The homicide squad is on its way.”

Toronto's finest at their best.

Novocastrian Sep 9th 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6766587)
I was pleased with that. However, criminality is at work in our backyard; the donkey led a charge up the hill and a mile down the road. I must now take the woman who had to herd them up strong drink to help her over the trauma!

Strong drink and lady herd-persons rarely mix well.

More advice is available for a small charge.

Lorna_D Sep 9th 2008 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 6766476)
I hate living in Canada, happy?

Yes, I'm very happy, but definately not because you are unhappy. :)

Jules Europe Sep 9th 2008 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6766556)

Hyphenation impressive word first time I`ve heard this and I assume it means some type of non integration. Well a similair thing occcurs in most of the EU anyway.

As for Toronto growing, i am sure it will as there doesn`t seem to be any way to stop it, so more pollution and respiratory diseases to make people feel even worse. Seems like urban growth could be better employed elsewhere. But didn`t I say that several hours ago:confused: