Crime in BC

Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:46 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crime in BC

Just been reading that the amount of incarcerated people in BC is down 38% on figures from ten years ago.

Apparently 80% of the people who are in the criminal corrections system are being handled in society-based systems, i.e. outside of of jails. A little bit different to the US, which has the highest level of incarceration of any developed country ?

Rich.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 5:24 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crime in BC

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Just been reading that the amount of incarcerated people in BC is down 38% on figures from ten years ago.

Apparently 80% of the people who are in the criminal corrections system are being handled in society-based systems, i.e. outside of of jails. A little bit different to the US, which has the highest level of incarceration of any developed country ?
That must explain why Gordon Campbell* is still walking around, eh? Not that I'm claiming that Ralph Klein is anyone to be proud of, mind you.

Seriously, I welcome this news, but I expect it'll elicit mixed reactions from forum members.

* For the benefit of those who don't know, Gordon Campbell is the premier of Rich's home province of British Columbia, and Ralph Klein is the premier of my province of Alberta.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:36 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crime in BC

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
That must explain why Gordon Campbell* is still walking around, eh? Not that I'm claiming that Ralph Klein is anyone to be proud of, mind you.

Seriously, I welcome this news, but I expect it'll elicit mixed reactions from forum members.

* For the benefit of those who don't know, Gordon Campbell is the premier of Rich's home province of British Columbia, and Ralph Klein is the premier of my province of Alberta.

Statistics and lies as they say. Working in the same office as BC probation, the numbers of incarcerated persons I see on my emails has gone up. Remove a certain group (or as they say "stratify by culture") the figures have shot up. The removal of a certain group I refer to have their own "justice" system for low-level crimes which allows a healthy massage of the actual figures of crimes committed. Violent crimes (drug and/or gang related) are up and lead to more incarcerations in our fair institutions.