credit report

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Fight or Flight will become famous soon enough
Default credit report

Hi
can anyone advise as to which type of credit report is recognised in Alberta, I seem to have read comewhere that Experian is better than Equifax, any advice appreciated!

Peter
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: credit report

Hi Peter,

I was told the opposite and just ordered my Equifax one, doh!

I think Canada recognises Equifax better as they have that too?

Rachel
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I got all three, since it was only 2 pounds each. However, I haven't used them since arriving here and they'd probably be considered out of date now.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fight or Flight
Hi
can anyone advise as to which type of credit report is recognised in Alberta, I seem to have read comewhere that Experian is better than Equifax, any advice appreciated!

Peter
Equifax without a doubt.

Experian is not known over here, Equifax is
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably say Equifax as the two main Canadian credit reports are TransUnion and Equifax, therefore they will have heard of Equifax !
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Hi all

Just out of interest how do you apply for your Equifax credit report.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Hi all

Just out of interest how do you apply for your Equifax credit report.
Go to their website (UK or Canada) and fill in the form

Read carefully though - in Canada the free check is buried because of course they want you to pay, same in UK except the cheaper check isn't free, but it's still hidden behind the instant high-fee ones.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: credit report

Many Thanks
Found the cheap one!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:13 am
Just Joined

soniataylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Are credit reports required when moving to Canada?

If so what for?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Many Thanks
Found the cheap one!
How much is the "Cheap One" is it £11.95 or am I looking in the wrong place.

TA
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

No it is £2. It is the statuary report under the Freedom/data protection act.
At least that is the one I have ordered, when it comes I will decide if it is detailed enough if not will pay the £11.95. I suspect that both are the same report packaged up differently.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

No it is £2. It is the statuary report under the Freedom/data protection act.
At least that is the one I have ordered, when it comes I will decide if it is detailed enough if not will pay the £11.95. I suspect that both are the same report packaged up differently.
Thanks Winston, found the Badger.

TAR Dave
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:45 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soniataylor
Are credit reports required when moving to Canada?

If so what for?
They're not 'required' in the sense that you need one to get a visa or anything.

But, as a newcomer, you won't be on any of the Canadian credit databases. So, once you're over here and applying for any kind of credit, it'll look to lenders like you don't exist, and they'll offer you poorer terms or none at all.

Canadian lenders don't generally have access to UK credit records, but if you're applying for a mortgage and have a recent UK report available, they'll take that into account. For smaller loans, they're less likely to take the trouble.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Fight or Flight will become famous soon enough

thanks for all the advice will make sure we get the right ones!

Peter
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

Peter, I got my Equifax report before I left for Calgary but none of the banks I spoke to would accept it. Your best bet to build up your credit rating is to speak to credit card companies you are currently with in the UK (or could join before you leave), who are also operating in Canada, and ask them to give you a Canadian credit card based on your Uk account history, once you have an address in Canada. American Express gave me a Canadian credit card and kept my UK one active!

Other than that you are probably looking at a secure credit card, i.e. you give a credit card company $1000 which they hold on to and after 12 - 24 months once your rating is established they refund your money (plus interest)........