Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credit cards for newbie

Wikiposts

Credit cards for newbie

Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:44 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards for newbie

pgtips,

You get (some of) my sympathy for the situation you found yourself in. BUT at the end of the day YOU took out the credit cards, the banks didnt hold you at gun point until you signed. Sorry but in reality you have NO ONE but yourself to blame.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:21 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
pgtips,

You get (some of) my sympathy for the situation you found yourself in. BUT at the end of the day YOU took out the credit cards, the banks didnt hold you at gun point until you signed. Sorry but in reality you have NO ONE but yourself to blame.

I agree with you to an extent, but when one is in credit card debt, and the credit card companies choose to slap all sorts of fees onto the original debt, thus an ever increasing burden, this helps no one. They even end up selling your debts to some very unsavoury characters in certain circumstances.

Luckily I have the means to pay it all off and most is settled, however there are thousands of other people who are not so fortunate and end up living constantly harassed by these sharks. some end up borrowing off one shark to pay of another until things just get completely out of hand.

Best bet is to avoid these things unless absolutely necessary.
I have gone back to the good old days, if I have the cash in the bank, I buy it. If I have not, I save up for it. This format is working great for me. The only main debt I will soon have is on my UK property and this is asset backed.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:32 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readytomove
I saw that Capital One does a credit card for people with no credit. Has anyone got one of these/ is it worth it?
Yes, I still have my CapitalOne secured credit card, and I use it on very rare occasions these days, but it was very useful in building up my credit score/history when I arrived.

HSBC and TD Canada Trust would only provide me with a secure credit card, which required $1000 deposit, and I didn't have a $1000 lying around to just get a credit card.

After some searching I found CaptialOne would provide a secure credit card, but only wanted $200 deposit, which I felt was more reasonable. It did of course mean my credit limit was $200, but I did not find that too much of a problem.

After a few years of building up credit I went to TD to see if they would provide me with a credit card that was not secured and they were more than happy to do so, with a $3000 limit.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
I agree with you to an extent, but when one is in credit card debt, and the credit card companies choose to slap all sorts of fees onto the original debt, thus an ever increasing burden, this helps no one. They even end up selling your debts to some very unsavoury characters in certain circumstances.

They cannot slap on any such fees unless you have given them authority to do so in the contract you entered into with them. The sharks you have referred to are simply attempting to effect a recovery.

None of the above would happen unless you defaulted to a significant degree. Such would not occur if you missed a single payment. If you wish to know who to blame, or where the "fault" lies, look in the mirror.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:30 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
They cannot slap on any such fees unless you have given them authority to do so in the contract you entered into with them. The sharks you have referred to are simply attempting to effect a recovery.

None of the above would happen unless you defaulted to a significant degree. Such would not occur if you missed a single payment. If you wish to know who to blame, or where the "fault" lies, look in the mirror.
I disagree.

I worked for a Credit Card company in the UK up until May last year. We dealt with what is know as the sub prime market. We gave very low credit limits to our customers, in an attempt to get them to spend, pay and build up their credit rating.

As soon as a payment went one day past its due date a 12 pound late fee was applied also a 12 pound fee would be applied once the late payment was 30 days over due. As soon as the account went into one day over it went to our collections dept who would then put your account into the automated system, this would then call all the numbers on the account from 8am - 9pm every single day apart from Sunday when the hours were reduced. After 90 days a default letter would be sent and the account past to debt collection. All letters sent before the default would mention the word default in bold type, this would be done to make the customer think it was a default letter.

I can assure you that since the credit crunch, the company I worked for did not sit back, they acted swiftly and with out any compassion at all. They didnt want to hear excuses,they wanted cash.

The APR on most of the cards we gave out was between 60 - 80%. As soon as a card was approved we would offer the customer the credit limit in cash sent to them by cheque or paid into their bank account. The cash interest rate on theses cards were on average 48%.

In my opinion we played on the vunerable and needy - the day I left that company was one of the best in my life. If you heard some of the collections calls that I listened to you would be shocked.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:38 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I disagree.

I worked for a Credit Card company in the UK up until May last year. We dealt with what is know as the sub prime market. We gave very low credit limits to our customers, in an attempt to get them to spend, pay and build up their credit rating.

As soon as a payment went one day past its due date a 12 pound late fee was applied also a 12 pound fee would be applied once the late payment was 30 days over due. As soon as the account went into one day over it went to our collections dept who would then put your account into the automated system, this would then call all the numbers on the account from 8am - 9pm every single day apart from Sunday when the hours were reduced. After 90 days a default letter would be sent and the account past to debt collection. All letters sent before the default would mention the word default in bold type, this would be done to make the customer think it was a default letter.

I can assure you that since the credit crunch, the company I worked for did not sit back, they acted swiftly and with out any compassion at all. They didnt want to hear excuses,they wanted cash.

The APR on most of the cards we gave out was between 60 - 80%. As soon as a card was approved we would offer the customer the credit limit in cash sent to them by cheque or paid into their bank account. The cash interest rate on theses cards were on average 48%.

In my opinion we played on the vunerable and needy - the day I left that company was one of the best in my life. If you heard some of the collections calls that I listened to you would be shocked.
Well, yes. But who expects people selling debt to behave ethically? Not me, that's for sure.

My advice to anyone with an unmanageable amount of debt is to just get a load more, live the high life and declare bankruptcy. There is only a limited down side to doing that, so it's a rational thing to do.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree.

Right, PGTips made reference to a 100 amount being turned into a 300 amount. On what you have said here, a 12 pound charge would apply if the arrears were paid within 30 days, passing to debt collection appears to take almost 3 months. It would appear that a 300% increase would take some time, even at your former employer.

Some would call that good credit control. When someone owes you money, do you feel sorry for them? In business, if one does, one does not stay in business very long.

I doubt I would be shocked. Remind me again, please, who was it that forced these people to take up such cards? What about personal responsibility?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:55 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

What about personal responsibility?
It doesn't exist. Moral hazard regards to issuing and obtaining debt is long gone, hence my previous comment.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:12 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Right, PGTips made reference to a 100 amount being turned into a 300 amount. On what you have said here, a 12 pound charge would apply if the arrears were paid within 30 days, passing to debt collection appears to take almost 3 months. It would appear that a 300% increase would take some time, even at your former employer.

Some would call that good credit control. When someone owes you money, do you feel sorry for them? In business, if one does, one does not stay in business very long.

I doubt I would be shocked. Remind me again, please, who was it that forced these people to take up such cards? What about personal responsibility?
Almost Canadian, I supose you have never got yourself into a pickle in life ?
I guess you are the financial guru ?
People fall into debt for all kinds of reasons, and a lot of time not deliberately.
Sometimes people rack up debt even though they are or were in good paying jobs. Have you not heard of Job loss, people being made redundant by the droves. UK unemployment about 2.5 million. What about those who are injured ? Or long term sickness comes upon someone.
According to you all these people should be thrown to the gallows !!!
Do not be so judgemental, because anybody's situation can change at a whim, even yours.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:57 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Almost Canadian, I supose you have never got yourself into a pickle in life ?
I guess you are the financial guru ?
People fall into debt for all kinds of reasons, and a lot of time not deliberately.
Sometimes people rack up debt even though they are or were in good paying jobs. Have you not heard of Job loss, people being made redundant by the droves. UK unemployment about 2.5 million. What about those who are injured ? Or long term sickness comes upon someone.
According to you all these people should be thrown to the gallows !!!
Do not be so judgemental, because anybody's situation can change at a whim, even yours.
People also get into debt because of irresponsibility, then blame everyone but themselves. It was the lenders fault for lending them the money, the stores fault for selling them something they could not afford, it was the bosses fault, anyone but themselves. Like everything in life, taking on debt is a choice and a risk, when you take on debt you accept that risk, taking responsibility for ones actions, as does a business owner. I find the terms of the credit card companies abhorrent, however I ensure I stay within the agreed terms to avoid their charges.

When taking out loans or incurring debt, those that are financially insecure have the option of taking out insurances for events such as job loss, injury & critical illness. Sure bad stuff does unexpectedly happen, but this is by and far the minority of cases where people fall into debt. Many cases people spend money they don't have and then something happens and the money they were anticipating does not materialise or they spent it somewhere else.

Debt load needs to be planned and what if contingencies considered. The major lenders will often negotiate charges and debt when one is in financial difficulties. One of the issues there, is many people don't know that they can and how to go about it. Often people go into debt and adopt the ostrich approach and hope it will go away rather than being proactive.

Financial education is a must before incurring debt. Understand what you are getting into and stay with in your means (not the limits the lender sets if they are higher than you can manage). Perhaps there should be more regulation to help the financially vulnerable, but then the folks affected by this would likley be claiming they were being victimised by big brother (or sister)!

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 9th 2010 at 1:59 am.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:38 am

I hear you on all 3 points. Some people do fall on hard times, but the way went about collecting was tough. If for instance you called in to tell us you had lost your job, we would say we want you to pay x to us every month, you would say I cant afford x at the moment but I can pay you xx we would not accept that as a payment plan, it would be x or nothing and then the charges really start to rack up. Every letter we sent would have a cost, default notice would have a cost, it soons adds up.

On the other hand, people took the card out, maxed it up with no intention of paying. I didnt think we should treat the want to pay but cant pay the same as can pay wont pay customers.

Its a very difficult subject to discuss on a forum.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 3:29 am

Its a very difficult subject to discuss on a forum.
Difficult but essential if we can help some newbie, and steer them away from getting suckered into this pit of debt.

It is the small print that is the killer, the one the credit card companies do not want you to see before signing up.

I personally do not have a problem with credit cards, but with the cowardly companies who are quick to push people deeper and deeper into debt once they get into difficulties. They increase your initial debt with all sorts of fees even though you are not borrowing any more.This is deliberate so they can make more money. They are happy when you miss a couple of payments or more so they can throw all sorts of fees at you and enslave you with a bigger debt to them. The harassment and intimidation which sometimes follows is ridiculous and can get quite threatning. These people are not your friends, quite the opposite, and they will show you their nasty side quicker than you can say boo !!!

And to the person who mentioned payment protection insurance, sometimes these policies are not worth the paper they are written on, and they will try every which way to get out of paying.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:40 am

Difficult but essential if we can help some newbie, and steer them away from getting suckered into this pit of debt.

It is the small print that is the killer, the one the credit card companies do not want you to see before signing up.

I personally do not have a problem with credit cards, but with the cowardly companies who are quick to push people deeper and deeper into debt once they get into difficulties. They increase your initial debt with all sorts of fees even though you are not borrowing any more.This is deliberate so they can make more money. They are happy when you miss a couple of payments or more so they can throw all sorts of fees at you and enslave you with a bigger debt to them. The harassment and intimidation which sometimes follows is ridiculous and can get quite threatning. These people are not your friends, quite the opposite, and they will show you their nasty side quicker than you can say boo !!!

And to the person who mentioned payment protection insurance, sometimes these policies are not worth the paper they are written on, and they will try every which way to get out of paying.
We signed most of our customers up on the phone. A person would apply on the internet, we would call them to say they had been approved, we would ask them if they wanted us read out all the T&C's or would they prefer to read them when they come through the post. The poor buggers were so desperate to get the card they said yes on the phone.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Utter hogwash.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

These people are not your friends, quite the opposite...
Of course they're not your friend. They a business trying to make as large a profit as possible, and fair play to them for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.