Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credit cards for newbie

Wikiposts

Credit cards for newbie

Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards for newbie

Originally Posted by jimf
Anyone else find the same sort of thing?
"Pay at the pump" has no checks at all. No PIN, signature, nothing

Some places check the sig carefully , others dont. For transactions less than $100 at loblaws affiliates there is no sig requirement at all on my PC mastercard. I guess most credit card fraudsters are buying more glamourous and expensive purchases than the weekly groceries?

My mastercard has the pay pass "no swipe" technology, but they should still check the signature.

My latest (canadian issued) Visa card is chip and pin

My debit card (interac) requires a PIN, but its not Chip and pin technology.

I have been asked for photo ID occasionally to confirm my ID as my signature can be a bit random.

None of my relies has had a problem using UK cards here.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

there is also a credit card comparison tool on a government website, look here:
http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/Consu...sp?userProv=10

sounds like BE forum users had positive and negative experiences with all banks and credit card

Last edited by Ikatita; Jan 7th 2010 at 5:23 pm. Reason: copied wrong url
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:38 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonoadams75
Hi can anyone recommend a good credit card to get for new arrivals with no credit history yet.
many thanks

jono
Stay away from credit(enslavement cards) cards. Once you get sucked in, you will spend years paying them back. You will be surprised how much debt can be racked up in a short space of time, sometimes a few days.
Personally I wish I never came across these things, and once I have paid them off I will not use them again.

There is now pay as you go credit cards, or top up pre pay credit cards readily available. You only can spend what you have put onto the card in advance and therefore will never get into debt.

When I was younger I was told the only debt I should have was a mortgage, I wish I had listened to that advice.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:03 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Stay away from credit(enslavement cards) cards. Once you get sucked in, you will spend years paying them back. You will be surprised how much debt can be racked up in a short space of time, sometimes a few days.
Personally I wish I never came across these things, and once I have paid them off I will not use them again.

There is now pay as you go credit cards, or top up pre pay credit cards readily available. You only can spend what you have put onto the card in advance and therefore will never get into debt.

When I was younger I was told the only debt I should have was a mortgage, I wish I had listened to that advice.
Its not the cards, its the credit.... The cards are convenient, the points are worth collecting, its the overspending you need to avoid.

Some things like mortgages and car credit are going to be harder to come by without the credit history generated by credit and store cards.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its not the cards, its the credit.... The cards are convenient, the points are worth collecting, its the overspending you need to avoid.

Some things like mortgages and car credit are going to be harder to come by without the credit history generated by credit and store cards.
Quite right. Overspending is the problem, not credit. I have plenty of credit, and I pay off the balance every month. In decades of using credit cards I've never paid a cent in interest or penalties.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bill_S
In decades of using credit cards I've never paid a cent in interest or penalties.
Yes, me too. If it weren't for the need of building up a credit history (how on earth am I to convince a landlord that I'm a trustworthy person to let to without one and without an employment?????), I wouldn't be getting a Canadian credit ard right away.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:52 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently CCs in Canada are not yet chip
New Visa cards are chip and pin.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It's nothing to do with the cards, it's the self discipline of the user and knowing your limit. If one is not able to manage ones finances, best to stay away from them. There are many people who have mortgages who have got into trouble as well. So long as outgoings do not exceed income you should be OK. I've been using cards for decades and never carried a balance.

Trouble with the pre paid Visa gift cards is if you lose them you've lost out, Visa don't guarantee them. Do they still give you the purchase protection insurances, travel insurance, CDW?

You could also ask the credit card issuer for a smaller limit and once that is reached, pay it off before you can use the card again.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 8th 2010 at 4:00 am.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Aviator
ISo long as income does not exceed outgoings you should be OK.
you must be the first to tell me that my plan for the next couple of months (April 2010 ff) is "OK" from a financial point of view

-- sorry, no harm meant, but just couldn't resist it --
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:01 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ikatita
you must be the first to tell me that my plan for the next couple of months (April 2010 ff) is "OK" from a financial point of view

-- sorry, no harm meant, but just couldn't resist it --
OK OK not had the morning coffee yet!

Another little known snippet: Equifax Canada won't open up a credit history unless you have two pieces of revolving credit (ie two credit cards). This means that even if you have a car loan but no credit cards, you may not have a credit history started with Equifax.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
New Visa cards are chip and pin.
When did that start? The replacement TD Visa CC I got last month is not chip and pin. The debit card is chip and pin.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:18 am

When did that start? The replacement TD Visa CC I got last month is not chip and pin. The debit card is chip and pin.
Mine are with RBC and have been Chip and Pin for about 12 months.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:40 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

There is a dark side to credit cards, be warned !!!!!!
You are giving people so much potential control over your life if you fall into arrears. Job loss, change of circumstance, emergency purchases etc.

personal loan and credit card arrears can put your home at risk 3/02/2009

Thousands of homeowners risk losing their home if they miss payments on credit cards or personal loans.

At one time, your home was only at risk if you fell behind on your mortgage.

Now lenders are increasingly going to court to turn unsecured loans into secured debt and are targeting people’s homes to ensure they get their money back.

A record 97,000 homebuyers had “charging orders” – where the person you owe money to secures the debt against your property – slapped on their property last year.

Banks and other lenders are applying to the courts for “charging orders” on 500 homes a week.

This is likely to increase rapidly as the recession results in more families failing to keep up debt repayments.

Until recently, most lenders were content to wait until you sold your property to get their money back.

Now, a growing number are going back to the courts to grab the house by getting an immediate “order for sale”, which means they can sell your property.

As house prices continue to fall and the equity in homes is reducing, they believe there’s no point in having debts secured against something that could end up in negative equity.

Now they don't tell you this do they, be warned, unless you are 100% disciplined with debt, I would stay clear. I have managed perfectly fine without them for the last 3 years
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:44 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

There is a dark side to credit cards, be warned !!!!!!
You are giving people so much potential control over your life if you fall into arrears. Job loss, change of circumstance, emergency purchases etc.

personal loan and credit card arrears can put your home at risk 3/02/2009

Thousands of homeowners risk losing their home if they miss payments on credit cards or personal loans.

At one time, your home was only at risk if you fell behind on your mortgage.

Now lenders are increasingly going to court to turn unsecured loans into secured debt and are targeting people’s homes to ensure they get their money back.

A record 97,000 homebuyers had “charging orders” – where the person you owe money to secures the debt against your property – slapped on their property last year.

Banks and other lenders are applying to the courts for “charging orders” on 500 homes a week.

This is likely to increase rapidly as the recession results in more families failing to keep up debt repayments.

Until recently, most lenders were content to wait until you sold your property to get their money back.

Now, a growing number are going back to the courts to grab the house by getting an immediate “order for sale”, which means they can sell your property.

As house prices continue to fall and the equity in homes is reducing, they believe there’s no point in having debts secured against something that could end up in negative equity.

Now they don't tell you this do they, be warned, unless you are 100% disciplined with debt, I would stay clear. I have managed perfectly fine without them for the last 3 years
Presumably thats UK law, not canadian.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:52 am

Funny eh! Borrow money and the lender wants it back. Only borrow what you can afford to repay and look at a worst case scenario not best case.

Credit is perhaps too freely available, but who is responsible, the lender for making it available or the borrower for borrowing beyond their means? Defaulters are one reason why interest rates are so high.

I am not unsympathetic to people who get into problems once, but I know of people who have done it several time, that's stupidity. Personally I believe we lack financial awareness education in the school system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.