Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credi Card application

Credi Card application

Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

taradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nice
Default Re: Credi Card application

Originally Posted by lee1001

Funny how a 19 year old student is less of a risk than an adult moving from another country who has an excellent credit rating in the UK.
Don't talk to me about it! Combine that with the fact that they won't acknowledge that you've ever had any experience of driving anywhere else and it makes for a very expensive life!! We even showed them credit card statements from the UK (we both had £10,000 credit limits!!), bank statements and evidence of savings and still we got nowhere! Apparently, it will take at least a year so we'll just keep plodding away!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 2:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone verify if this is true or not?

If so that must mean everyone who immigrates to Canada must start with the same level of credit.

Id be interested to know what that credit score is. My girlfriends 19 year old brother has a credit score of 698 which is decent enough for him to get a credit card with a $1500 limit.

In fact he uses his credit card for everything and usually spends over $1000 a month but always pays the full amount before the due date. He called them to ask for a credit increase and they said no problem because he always pays his bill in full every month they increased it to the maximum which is $6000!!!

Funny how a 19 year old student is less of a risk than an adult moving from another country who has an excellent credit rating in the UK.
I got a UK credit report through Equifax online before I moved over (& I think updated it after getting here via the UK mailing address I had at the time) which I included with my mortgage application.

As far as credit cards go, as a PR I managed to get Scotiabank to give me one based on current a/c banking with them and proof of 'net worth' of UK house and equity. (Now Canadian house & equity). Started off with a $3k credit limit which after 6mths I got increased to $5k as I used the CC for business travel. I get alsorts of mailing offers for credit cards. Around 6mths ago I tried for a CIBC Aerogold card to get AC points. After some weeks of rumination CIBC offered a $5k limit credit card if I put $5k in savings with them. Needless to say I declined......
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

sorry if this is an old thread, but after I read this topic I applied for American Express Red Card, just received it today with limit £2100, now I am planning to move to Canada in mid November, my question is do I need to do anything with the card to be able to transfer it? do I need to use it here for few months? or its more like a straight forward transfer?
anyone with same experience please share,
Cheers,
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

sbays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
sorry if this is an old thread, but after I read this topic I applied for American Express Red Card, just received it today with limit £2100, now I am planning to move to Canada in mid November, my question is do I need to do anything with the card to be able to transfer it? do I need to use it here for few months? or its more like a straight forward transfer?
anyone with same experience please share,
Cheers,
Nope you need to do nothing, Once you get to Canada contact AMEX in Canada and they will open a new account based on your UK American Express. and this card will report to Canadian Credit agencies. oh and welcome to the world of Air Miles, a feature the UK is missing out on
Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lees147
I agree with what people have been saying regarding keeping your credit history.

This is controlled by a global company and therefore will move with you when you go to canada.
It is a global company. Equifax is even a UK-owned company. But your credit history won't go with you. Various excuses are given, but I suspect that the real one is "we can't be bothered to sort it out."

K.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Carin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud ofCarin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sbays
Nope you need to do nothing, Once you get to Canada contact AMEX in Canada and they will open a new account based on your UK American Express. and this card will report to Canadian Credit agencies. oh and welcome to the world of Air Miles, a feature the UK is missing out on

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer your balance from your UK amex to your Canadian one?

C
Old Oct 7th 2006, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Listen up, We moved from UK to Canada 7 months ago, but before we moved I got an AMEX card in the UK with my UK credit rating. Then wen we got to Canada I phoned AMEX in Canada and Applyied for a Canadian AMEX card on the strength of my UK card because they are the same company. This worked a treat and now we have credit with $5000.00 limit, which has already started a credit file and reports to Canadian agencies.....

Amex were very pleased to do this for me,,,,,,, its working as we get loads of junk mail offering another credit card,

Oh and lots of air miles .........
I have a card with MBNA, does anyone know if they do a similar thing as AMEX.
I could apply now for an AMEX card but only expected to be in UK for another 6 months so don't know if that would be long enough to make it worthwhile getting one. Any thoughts??
Old Oct 7th 2006, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

sbays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carin
Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer your balance from your UK amex to your Canadian one?

C
I dont see why not, but I would pay off UK one before leaving, its less of a headache.....
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

Many thanx, feel better now, because its really annoying that all these years of good credit are scrapped ?, at least I feel am getting something back, is the air miles worth it? I mean with really cheap air flights with airlines like flyzoom ...etc, does it worth it to try amex?

Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:15 pm
Cowtown

That would be because the 19yr old Canadian is less likely than the overseas born adult to flee the country when they get depressed about it all!