Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CRA and the new childrens fitness benefit

CRA and the new childrens fitness benefit

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 7:33 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default CRA and the new childrens fitness benefit

I got a nice letter from the CRA requesting receipts confirming the amount I'd claimed, with specific information required regarding the child, year of birth, etc.

One of my larger claims is my daughters dance class, who have always been rather catastrophic with paperwork- they don't answer the phone, and are bad at email (old school - suspect they think it exists to circulate jokes). The lady has said she doesn't understand why her old receipts won't do even though I've scanned and sent her the CRA letter! Problem is the studio is closed until after the return deadline. In the past I've managed to get stuff out of them by turning up when they're very helpful.

I've edited her receipt to show the required data but so far haven't had any approval to submit it from her (the amount is the same- just the details needed adding). I have an email trail showing lack of cooperation.

Should I just submit this edited receipt? Or play 100% straight and ask for an extension on these grounds- I could include a transcript of these emails?

I'm inclined to the former and get it out of the way....
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 1:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CRA and the new childrens fitness benefit

I don't know for sure what you should do, not having encountered this situation myself. You can always try calling them first and explaining the situation and seeing what they say - they then could advise you to maybe wait and they can put a note in your file that you are waiting.

Else, I would write a letter explaining the circumstance and providing what you have, then writing that if they require further information to let you know and you can chase it up when the studio opens, but you didn't want to risk missing the original deadline so you are submitting just what you are able to submit for now.

Those would be my two options, doing the former first and the latter if it fails.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Should I just submit this edited receipt? Or play 100% straight and ask for an extension on these grounds
How much $ is it worth? How much time is it worth?

'Editing' anything and sending it to CRA to get a tax deduction or benefit, what do you think the answer should be?
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:52 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I missed that the receipt was edited. Yeah, Pizza, definitely don't do that. That would be an exceptionally poor decision.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 4:03 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

You could call the CRA (the letter should have a contact number on it) and ask for more time to submit the information, citing the reason why, and supplying the information to show the tortoise like approach of the dance school.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:35 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I should have hit this earlier- I only realised yesterday that the online submission requires signing up for a CRA account, which means they send you log in details by mail. So basically hopeless. There is a fax option, which I can use when I get back to the office on Monday. I'll fax requesting an extension and include my flight bookings (have been out of the country last 2 weeks) as justification why I couldn't even chase things up.

I guess I shouldn't be amazed that a business run by a dancing cradle should have such difficulty in issuing a receipt as required by their own effing government.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:50 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I should have hit this earlier- I only realised yesterday that the online submission requires signing up for a CRA account, which means they send you log in details by mail. So basically hopeless. There is a fax option, which I can use when I get back to the office on Monday. I'll fax requesting an extension and include my flight bookings (have been out of the country last 2 weeks) as justification why I couldn't even chase things up.

I guess I shouldn't be amazed that a business run by a dancing cradle should have such difficulty in issuing a receipt as required by their own effing government.
Have a look at the "partner sign in" options, as that should allow you to sign in through a suitable online banking account thing. I don't think they mail you anything for that one, as it's using your existing online banking details as an intermediary. Of course you need to have an account with one of the banks listed (TD, BMO, Scotia,Tangerine, and Choice Rewards Mastercard)
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never forget your password on CRA website, been dealing with trying to get back into mine for months, they can't seem to help and their stupid system says I cant reset my password, the phone people say they can't reset it or tell me what it is, so I remain locked out.

CRA makes the IRS look efficient.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 12:10 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Never forget your password on CRA website, been dealing with trying to get back into mine for months, they can't seem to help and their stupid system says I cant reset my password, the phone people say they can't reset it or tell me what it is, so I remain locked out.

CRA makes the IRS look efficient.
I'm guessing you don't have a bank account with one of their sign in partners then? I originally used that, then requested a proper sign in, and both seem to work together.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know any of the other 'Dance Moms'? this must surely be an issue for most of the parents, maybe you could do what they've done?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I'm guessing you don't have a bank account with one of their sign in partners then? I originally used that, then requested a proper sign in, and both seem to work together.
Nope. We use RBC which isn't currently a partner.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 6:39 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Do you know any of the other 'Dance Moms'? this must surely be an issue for most of the parents, maybe you could do what they've done?
It's a random audit, so chances are I'll be the only one this year.

Of the five receipts I needed, scouts came back the next day- they had already got something set up. The other three were almost immediate even the scatty Russian gym lady- I explained it to her and she just customised a receipt for me.

Its just the dance class lady that seems to have taken it as a personal affront.

I don't have an account with one of the required banks- I think I tried that.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I got a nice letter from the CRA requesting receipts confirming the amount I'd claimed, with specific information required regarding the child, year of birth, etc.

One of my larger claims is my daughters dance class, who have always been rather catastrophic with paperwork- they don't answer the phone, and are bad at email (old school - suspect they think it exists to circulate jokes). The lady has said she doesn't understand why her old receipts won't do even though I've scanned and sent her the CRA letter! Problem is the studio is closed until after the return deadline. In the past I've managed to get stuff out of them by turning up when they're very helpful.

I've edited her receipt to show the required data but so far haven't had any approval to submit it from her (the amount is the same- just the details needed adding). I have an email trail showing lack of cooperation.

Should I just submit this edited receipt? Or play 100% straight and ask for an extension on these grounds- I could include a transcript of these emails?

I'm inclined to the former and get it out of the way....
I had a similar letter from the CRA in April regarding my children and my residence. I had a month to comply - letter from their schools, our old landlord and details on our house purchase and property tax. We had moved areas, so I had to get to the other schools and landlord to get the info - as well as having a particularly stressful time with my health and having surgery.

I managed to get all the info in to them just in time for the deadline - but I then received a letter stating they had not received it. Just before I posted the info, I had the forethought to copy it all so I then faxed all the stuff to them. All,that happened with me not meeting their deadline was that the file was closed and I owed the money to them that they had paid us for CTB and UCCB since 2012. Once they received my information, the file was reopened and they are working through it slowly.........

It still has not been sorted out properly - but at least we know that we don't owe them the money that our tax account states

They wanted originals of everything but they accepted the faxed copies - unless my original documents turned up.

If you send papers to them, make sure you take copies and also maybe send by some form of signed for mail.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:19 pm
Proudly Scarberian

I'm back in town and as she's ignoring emails/ calls again I guess it's time to turn up on the doorstep. I recall I had to do this to get the original tax receipt.

This probably isn't a problem for most parents as one will be at the dance lessons weekly but for me- it's the ex-wifes activity but I pay for it- there's an unusual gap. Plus the regular classes have stopped for break.

A pain in the but is all.

Good news is you can fax from the photocopiers in the office so faxing it all over to the CRA should be a doddle. Our team secretary was surprised I didn't know this. I'm surprised faxes still exist...
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably mail it all too just t be sure - I never received acknowledgment of whether they ever received my originals but I am assuming the went off my faxed sheets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.