Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CPS - Almost there, fingers crossed!

CPS - Almost there, fingers crossed!

Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Parris is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile CPS - Almost there, fingers crossed!

OH is flying back today he has been out for the last 10 day going through the testing for the CPS. He has passed everything His file manager Andrew has been fantastic! Just have to wait for paperwork to go through now to see if we get that YES answer back - keeping everything crossed.

Does mean I need to find a job out there now. If anyone knows anyone in the recruitment world. I work for a short-liner in pharmaceutical Sales over here.

Little Man and I could only join him for the first few days and neither of us wanted to come back last Sunday! Although we didn't have long out there we managed to pack loads in mainly thanks to Julie and Ed Parry who were just amazing. Took us around showing us different areas to help us decide where to live if everything was successful with the CPS. Took us to Ice hockey game, ED even took our son tobogening while we did the boring things like look around houses! Which was just great. If anyone needs any help relocating just give them a call www.julieparry.com they really are just a fantastic couple, really made you feel welcome was like visiting old friends.

I'm sooooooooo excited!!!!
Thanks for listening (reading) Tanya
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CPS - Almost there, fingers crossed!

Hello, Tanya.

Congratulations on your OH's success so far with the Calgary Police Service's selection process.

As to your own career when you get out to Calgary, read all the Wiki articles in the series on Job Hunting in Canada.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to hubby and you. Fingers definitely crossed
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:49 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parris
OH is flying back today he has been out for the last 10 day going through the testing for the CPS. He has passed everything His file manager Andrew has been fantastic! Just have to wait for paperwork to go through now to see if we get that YES answer back - keeping everything crossed.

Does mean I need to find a job out there now. If anyone knows anyone in the recruitment world. I work for a short-liner in pharmaceutical Sales over here.

Little Man and I could only join him for the first few days and neither of us wanted to come back last Sunday! Although we didn't have long out there we managed to pack loads in mainly thanks to Julie and Ed Parry who were just amazing. Took us around showing us different areas to help us decide where to live if everything was successful with the CPS. Took us to Ice hockey game, ED even took our son tobogening while we did the boring things like look around houses! Which was just great. If anyone needs any help relocating just give them a call www.julieparry.com they really are just a fantastic couple, really made you feel welcome was like visiting old friends.

congrats as well, judy and ann typically helpful and cheery, use their knowledge, they have lots.

there is another side to it though. i do not wish to put a damper on things for you, i was exactly the same at your stage, but there are huge down sides, whether they outweigh the equally huge positives depend mostly on the type of person you are as an individual, and how strong you are as a couple.

i have been with my wife for 12yrs, married for 10 and it has been a strain. i was a in GMP for 10yrs, finishing as a sgt on patrol, after the usual secondments, roles and attachments. Training was harsh and difficult. yes its only 6mths, that does not sound too long when you say it quick, but if you struggle its a long haul. when i say struggle i'll give you some basic facts. most of my class were early 20's, very fit and straight out of college. so, with a class average of 90%+ on exams, most lads doing over 20 pull ups and running 10k with ease, it was easy to be seen as mediocre at best.
this was hard for me as i earned a good reputation, had commendations and the like and thought myself ok physically. i had run road races and boxed for the forces.

what i am saying i suppose, is do not under estimate the physical side, or exams. certainly do not expect any favours or acknowledgement of your past experience or age, you are pond life recruit. having said that, life in canada post training is something i am starting to enjoy again. you can see all the positives on here if you search the threads. now back on the streets and on shift, though still treated as the new guy, at least i am spoken to as a human being and people ask me about me.

is it still for me. i still am not sure. i am not particularly close to family, or my home, but homesickness has struck me, despite living in a much, much better area here and speaking to family on a regular basis.
i would not say do not come, or do not try it, far from it, its all character building stuff and you only live once, just be prepared for some difficult times ahead. i would have found it a lot easier if i had beheaded the mother in law before i came for instance. all the best.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for all your replies will check out that link for recuritment thanx
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Lowestoft will become famous soon enough

Fingers crossed. I have just returned having done a week of tests and interviews for the York Region Police and now have to wait for that 'YES' call to come through!!
As for the six months of training...My brother did his four years ago, having served 16 years in the Met. On the whole he had a good experience. Apart from the day to day grind that is 'Training', he was readily accepted as the Old Boy of the class, made class leader (when he was out of the room) and generally treated well due to his past/age.

ATB
Pete
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:42 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Howard1944;5849661]

Last edited by rae; Jan 28th 2008 at 4:43 pm. Reason: doh, wrong reply, wrong page.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:45 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Peter Lowestoft
As for the six months of training...My brother did his four years ago, having served 16 years in the Met. On the whole he had a good experience. Apart from the day to day grind that is 'Training', he was readily accepted as the Old Boy of the class, made class leader (when he was out of the room) and generally treated well due to his past/age.

ATB
Pete
yes, to be fair my comments are more EPS than CPS, they are different animals. having said that though, having seen their schedule and speaking to people in CPS, the physical and officer safety(another beasting) expectations are similar.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed. I have just returned having done a week of tests and interviews for the York Region Police and now have to wait for that 'YES' call to come through!!

ATB
Pete
Wow in the same position then!! So close yet so far! How did you find your week of testing? Did you go over with your family and have a chance to check out the different areas you wanted to live?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi Tanya,

Thank you so much for the kind words and it was lovely to meet you and we look forward to seeing you back over here soon.

We hope that Parris had a good journey back to the UK.

Take care, Julie and Eddie
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Wow in the same position then!! So close yet so far! How did you find your week of testing? Did you go over with your family and have a chance to check out the different areas you wanted to live?
Parris,
Fairly tough week but fortunately, or unfortunately, I did the same thing three and a half years ago so had a good idea what to expect. Having said that, ever one that I had to deal with, from the ATS staff, to the recruitment department at York region were more that friendly and extremely helpful.
Went on my own this time, which was also hard, but we have all been before the check the area out...
Pete
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Parris,
Fairly tough week but fortunately, or unfortunately, I did the same thing three and a half years ago so had a good idea what to expect. Having said that, ever one that I had to deal with, from the ATS staff, to the recruitment department at York region were more that friendly and extremely helpful.
Went on my own this time, which was also hard, but we have all been before the check the area out...
Pete
Hi Pete,

Did they give you an idea as to when you might be able to go out there?

Tanya
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wallace
Hi Tanya,

Thank you so much for the kind words and it was lovely to meet you and we look forward to seeing you back over here soon.

We hope that Parris had a good journey back to the UK.

Take care, Julie and Eddie
Hi Julie & Ed

Hope you're both fine, thanks again for everything you did. Parris got back o.k. left on time (think he was hoping he might get snowed in and stay longer!). See you both again soon.

Tanya
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi Julie & Ed

Hope you're both fine, thanks again for everything you did. Parris got back o.k. left on time (think he was hoping he might get snowed in and stay longer!). See you both again soon.

Tanya
Hi

Thats great! Just got back from the hockey the Oilers won again!!! (Okotoks Oilers that is!)
A really good game.....with a fight at the end

Take care

Julie and Ed
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Pete,

Did they give you an idea as to when you might be able to go out there?

Tanya

Afraid Not..They are starting new recruits in April, August and December so in an ideal word the August date would be good.
Its been nearly three years waiting for PR so a few more months isn't a problem...
Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.