Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

which covid test to take b4 flying back to the UK??

Wikiposts

which covid test to take b4 flying back to the UK??

Old Sep 25th 2021, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

jon67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default which covid test to take b4 flying back to the UK??

so has anyone flew with WestJet from Calgary back to the UK recently and had to show proof of a negative test b4 you board the plane? also do they want a negative PCR test (expensive one) or can it be a up the nose 15 min wait test? are they really picky the airline that it has to be PCR?

Last edited by jon67; Sep 25th 2021 at 12:56 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Skyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which covid test to take b4 flying back to the UK??

Just done this. All you need is a quick test, nose swab and results in 15 mins.

Make sure you have a Passenger Locator Form for the UK. You then need a PCR test within 48 hours of landing, which has to be a PCR test. Then another test before leaving for Canada, not sure what this yet so will not be definite about it. When I arrived in at LHR the immigration queues were 2 hours, the electronic gates had failed…
Old Sep 25th 2021, 9:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The gov.Uk site has the details - and air Canada travel ready hub is pretty good as well. Rapid test is good for UK entry prior to departure - although I had to get a PCR test as it was the only one available in Nfld. Day 2 PCR test needs to be booked before travel and details (reference number) recorded on you passenger locator form. (Which has to be completed and filed before you check in. I used “my health checked” self test kit. Took test Monday at 11.30 dropped into Royal Mail priority mailbox and had the result by the following evening.

Note that UK regulations change Oct 4th for fully vaxed people. Uk has changed the fully vaxed defining in to include those with mixed vax.

Return to Canada requires PCR within 72 hours of departure.

Old Sep 26th 2021, 2:42 am
Just Joined

jon67 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply, so I'm definite good with a quick test? i was worried they want pcr test and don't want to get turned away at the gate. looking on the gov.co.uk website it says the provider has to meet the standards as above which seem pretty high the bar..do the airline check what kind of test you have had?

Old Sep 26th 2021, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Skyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond repute

The airline will want to see the test result. You may have to upload the certificate when you check in on line. And you are definitely OK with a rapid test to enter UK .

Old Sep 28th 2021, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skyva
The airline will want to see the test result. You may have to upload the certificate when you check in on line. And you are definitely OK with a rapid test to enter UK .

I can confirm that too, I got the rapid test (there are some sensitivity limits that the test needs to hit so might be worth running that by the test provider). Day 2 test was PCR and test to return to Canada also a PCR - it is an expensive business, especially for families.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Where are people going in southwestern ON for a rapid test? Last time I travelled I needed PCR so used LifeLabs FlyClear, but those are expensive at $200 a pop, so if I can save some money paying $40-50 for a rapid test that would be great. Just not sure where to get one for travel.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 12:48 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Where are people going in southwestern ON for a rapid test? Last time I travelled I needed PCR so used LifeLabs FlyClear, but those are expensive at $200 a pop, so if I can save some money paying $40-50 for a rapid test that would be great. Just not sure where to get one for travel.
Air Canada's travel ready hub has good info on test providers: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...l#/region-ct-1
Old Oct 1st 2021, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a local pharmacy for mine. Happened to notice when picking up a prescription that they offered tests for travel - it was $40 and the results were available while I waited.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I went to a local pharmacy for mine. Happened to notice when picking up a prescription that they offered tests for travel - it was $40 and the results were available while I waited.
Was it a shoppers? I see they do rapid tests there.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Was it a shoppers? I see they do rapid tests there.
It wasn't, but I think Shoppers do them.