Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Covering Letter: The Correct way to state your salary expectations

Covering Letter: The Correct way to state your salary expectations

Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:02 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Question Covering Letter: The Correct way to state your salary expectations

I've been reading the [wiki on Covering Letters but there's one topic it didn't seem to cover. I'm writing one for a job that I'm reasonably well qualified for (certainly worth putting my resume forward for) and one of the requests is
...please send your resume and salary expectations to [email protected]
Now, of course being a Brit I don't normally like talking about money in the initial contact, but that's exactly what's requested of me here.

I was wondering what the correct way is to go about stating it in the covering letter? Something like a sentence saying "Salary Expectations would be in the $50000 region." or something better?

Thanks for any help you are about to give
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:07 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covering Letter: The Correct way to state your salary expectations

Originally Posted by hpka
I've been reading the [wiki on Covering Letters but there's one topic it didn't seem to cover. I'm writing one for a job that I'm reasonably well qualified for (certainly worth putting my resume forward for) and one of the requests is
...please send your resume and salary expectations to [email protected]
Now, of course being a Brit I don't normally like talking about money in the initial contact, but that's exactly what's requested of me here.

I was wondering what the correct way is to go about stating it in the covering letter? Something like a sentence saying "Salary Expectations would be in the $50000 region." or something better?

Thanks for any help you are about to give

'My current benefits package is equivalent to a salary of $75000'
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly don't put a range. If you say between $45,000 and $55,000 you will be offered $45,000 even if they would be happy to pay $55,000.

The employer is sending a signal so I would tweak your cover letter and resume to highlight the value for money you will provide for them. As for salary, it depends how desperate you are. Do you have an idea of the normal range for this position? If you want this job go for the lower end of the range with a sentence like, "I anticipate a starting salary in excess of $xx,xxx". How much in excess of will be a matter of negotiation once they say they want to hire you. This way your application will get through the initial filtering process as being a reasonable salary expectation.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I hate this wording within a job advertisement - "your salary expectations".

And the reason I don't like it is because the employers never respond to applications - "only those invited for an interview will be contacted" - and therefore it's difficult to guage whether your resume and salary expectation was laughed into the rubbish bin or whether you missed out for other reasons.

Perhaps it is easier within a specific profession - and you all know what is correct for your 'grade'. Surely the employer will also offer the job to the lesser expectation. If there are two equally qualified candidates, but one expected $10k less, they would be hired?

As for me, I'm no longer a professional ( ), but for medium level clerical/admin work the salary range varies considerably per hourly rate. I was offered a job last year at what I felt to be a very insulting $11.50 an hour (for that role and level of responsibility, awkward shifts and abuse from the public!) and therefore politely declined the offer. Starbucks was more fun at the time, with less abuse
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:28 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
And the reason I don't like it is because the employers never respond to applications - "only those invited for an interview will be contacted" - and therefore it's difficult to guage whether your resume and salary expectation was laughed into the rubbish bin or whether you missed out for other reasons.
I understand this is very common in the public sector. Is this true of private companies in Canada too - seems a bit impolite to not even send a 'thanks, but no thanks' letter.

I have a different view to you in that I quite like that they ask for it - saves wasting everyone's time (although I'd actually prefer to know what the range they were offering was before applying).
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I understand this is very common in the public sector. Is this true of private companies in Canada too - seems a bit impolite to not even send a 'thanks, but no thanks' letter.

I have a different view to you in that I quite like that they ask for it - saves wasting everyone's time (although I'd actually prefer to know what the range they were offering was before applying).
Incidental comments on this forum suggest employers rarely say 'thanks, but no thanks'. There is simply no response at all. And forum members who are now employers also state that they simply do not have the time nor inclination to respond to all applicants.

I understand your comment about liking the request for expectations. Think I'm just feeling sensitive and un-sought-after
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:50 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Incidental comments on this forum suggest employers rarely say 'thanks, but no thanks'. There is simply no response at all. And forum members who are now employers also state that they simply do not have the time nor inclination to respond to all applicants.

I understand your comment about liking the request for expectations. Think I'm just feeling sensitive and un-sought-after
Not even an email? Jeez, that's harsh - I mean how much effort is it really.

You looking for work? That's gotta be tough right now
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Job hunting has become half-hearted again due to kids off school for 10 weeks (which is half the battle actually - young kids/availability etc). Probably not the right attitude but .... thanks anyway
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Before deciding on a salary to put down, try and check online to see what others are paying for the same job. If the average is 25,000/yr and you put 45,000/yr well they will likely deem you as being too exspensive to consider.

Dont want to put too little but at the same time you dont want to put too high a expectation either.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not even an email? Jeez, that's harsh - I mean how much effort is it really.

Its the norm in North America not to send replies to applicants.

I've been searching for work for months now, and in June alone sent out or dropped off 45 resumes, I got 1 thanks but no thanks.

But I grew up in NA so I dont expect any sort of reply unless they want to interview.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:03 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I've been searching for work for months now, and in June alone sent out or dropped off 45 resumes, I got 1 thanks but no thanks.

But I grew up in NA so I dont expect any sort of reply unless they want to interview.
I don't like this either, but I'm sort of getting used to it I suppose.

One thing that REALLLY has me ticked off is that both my boys have been for job interviews (on separate occasions) and THEN not heard anything afterwards. That is REALLY rude and inconsiderate!

I mean I guess you decide after a while that the answer is "no" or you chase it up for yourself, just so you hear one way or the other, but I mean, how many people had they interviewed that they still couldn't find the time and manners to thank them for bothering to apply and turn up for an interview.

Both lads are more than dispondent right now, and I don't blame them!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

God, I really hate this no response lark. I understand that an employer really doesn't want to send out thousands of 'no thanks' letters, but is it really that difficult to send out emails in this day and age ? Some applications can take an awful lot of time to complete and I think it's utterly rude not even to acknowledge that someone has been unsuccessful. Why not even put something like if you haven't heard from us by such and such date then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful in your application. At least you know for gawd's sake.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have been reading the comments. I haven't applied for a job for ages, but when I was, I had the same experience. I would apply for a job that I was well qualified for and I think the majority of the applications went in the garbage. A friend of mine who was my previous office manager told me that I was entitled to get a response and that I should phone and ask to speak to the person I had addressed the application to. I tried that a couple of times! The response that I got from the person who answered the phone was "that person" was busy and would call me back! Of course they never did so I quit bothering.

It is very rude. Am I right in assuming that in the UK if you apply for a job and don't even get an interview, that they will write or email back and tell you? That is incredible!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purley
It is very rude. Am I right in assuming that in the UK if you apply for a job and don't even get an interview, that they will write or email back and tell you? That is incredible!
No, not in my experience. To get a PFO letter if weeded out at the first go through of resumes is the exception rather than the rule IMHO in the UK (& Canada for that matter). To get one after being weeded out at the interview or assessment centre stage is more usual.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
No, not in my experience. To get a PFO letter if weeded out at the first go through of resumes is the exception rather than the rule IMHO in the UK (& Canada for that matter). To get one after being weeded out at the interview or assessment centre stage is more usual.
At places I've worked it would depend on whether or not the CV's came through agencies. If somebody went to the trouble to write a letter etc then they'd get a reply - I guess recruitment agencies have made job application a more disposable process in some ways.

(I've always got a response to my applications whether interviewed or not - so I guess I should count myself lucky)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.