Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Courtesy & attitudes

Courtesy & attitudes

Old Sep 16th 2006, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courtesy & attitudes

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Latrina? Perhaps you meant Katrina?

Sounds like the bog to me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromwell_High
Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Thanks for the education.

I see that I wasn't that far off when I said it reminded me of the bog.

And, courtesy of wilkepedia for providing the gory details, it sure is satisfying to know that the biological dad had his ejaculation before he made himself scarce.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

No question I find UK alot friendlier. (Maybe not at night in a town center)
I came from Montreal and strangers (shopkeepers, drivers, neighbours, cops) are much more friendlier. It took me about a year of driving back in UK not to try to run someone over crossing the road or not letting anyone in a queue on the road. I even alomost ran over a few people on a Zebra crossing. I was ashamed of myself but these habits were ingrained from 20 years of driving in Montreal. I now smile and say hello to my neighbours, enjoy friendly banter with shopkeepers and slow down for old ladies crossing the street and let three people a day in before me on the roads.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twhurl
It took me about a year of driving back in UK not to try to run someone over crossing the road or not letting anyone in a queue on the road. I even alomost ran over a few people on a Zebra crossing. I was ashamed of myself but these habits were ingrained from 20 years of driving in Montreal.
I can well understand this. We have a few Zebra crossings here but people just drive through them. Expecting a motorist to automatically stop is plain foolhardy.

There is one zebra crossing I use on Cote des Neiges just north of Queen Mary. I always make sure I make eye contact with the driver first.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:32 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

I can well understand this. We have a few Zebra crossings here but people just drive through them. Expecting a motorist to automatically stop is plain foolhardy.

There is one zebra crossing I use on Cote des Neiges just north of Queen Mary. I always make sure I make eye contact with the driver first.
I think the zerba crossings in the UK are helped by the fact that most every traffic corner seems to be monitored by CCTV cameras and the penalty is HUGE for not stopping at a zebra crossings... of course they'd probably only levy the fines if an accident with a pedestrian occured on them, but I've finally learned to just walk out onto them & poor drivers if they fail to stop. Not only would they be levied with huge penalties, the laws in this country mean i could sue them for every penny they're worth.... ahhhh the confidence of crossing streets here is wonderful
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the season. In Montreal it is almost always "Open Season" on pedestrians. Not so in the rest of Canada. For instance in Canmore, Alberta cars stop for pedestrians crossing the street even if they are not on crossings.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by flashman
Depends on the season. In Montreal it is almost always "Open Season" on pedestrians. Not so in the rest of Canada. For instance in Canmore, Alberta cars stop for pedestrians crossing the street even if they are not on crossings.
Sadly I must agree. In Ottawa, a mere 120 miles away, all one has to do is step off the pavement and traffic comes to a halt.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Sadly I must agree. In Ottawa, a mere 120 miles away, all one has to do is step off the pavement and traffic comes to a halt.

Yes. I was walking down the road in Calgary and merely looked out across the street and all the cars stopped. I didn't know what to do. I looked at them apologetically and continued on
Old Sep 17th 2006, 10:50 am
Cowtown

In Sylvan Lake, Alberta cars only stop for the twenty-something blonde girls in bikinis. So if you have kids with you get in behind them and follow them across the road!

Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

johnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of light

I find the people on the East side of Canada are not as pleasant as from the West. but non are as pleasant as the people in rural Norfolk in England,.
I have lived in Canada France and Germany and Norfolk tops the lot
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:04 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Been driving here for 5 weeks and IMO the standard of driving is utterly crazy. No such thing as letting people out in a queue. Just barge on in and the devil take the hindmost. Saying that, I haven't seen any hand gestures yet.

Maybe I just haven't got the confidence yet??

Originally Posted by SAW 04
I would say Canadians were generally more friendly and courteous until you put them behind the wheel of a car!! Then it all goes to s**t.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Been driving here for 5 weeks and IMO the standard of driving is utterly crazy. No such thing as letting people out in a queue. Just barge on in and the devil take the hindmost. Saying that, I haven't seen any hand gestures yet.

Maybe I just haven't got the confidence yet??

It's a cultural thing and you get used to it after a while. For instance British drivers scare my Canadian wife when they drive along the narrow twisting roads at high speed.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:47 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
It's a cultural thing and you get used to it after a while. For instance British drivers scare my Canadian wife when they drive along the narrow twisting roads at high speed.
I still have to shut my eyes sometimes when my partner is booting it down the M61 & changing lanes so close to other vehicles. Scared the piss out of me when I saw how close to one another you drive here... mind you, thats probably due to the lanes being so narrow & so many 2 lane roads turning into 1 lane because of people parking on the side of the roads... need more free parking & driveways in this country *lol*
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:59 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Daedra
I still have to shut my eyes sometimes when my partner is booting it down the M61 & changing lanes so close to other vehicles. Scared the piss out of me when I saw how close to one another you drive here... mind you, thats probably due to the lanes being so narrow & so many 2 lane roads turning into 1 lane because of people parking on the side of the roads... need more free parking & driveways in this country *lol*
Had to drive from SK to AB in the pissing rain on Friday ... zero visibility ... speeding ... random lane changing ... excessive dumbass tail gaiting ... reminded me of driving in the UK.

Funnily enough, most of the traffic was from SK to AB, not that many people going from AB to SK ... guess that the Prairie have not provinces are the new Atlantics.

Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:14 pm
Senile Member

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Had to drive from SK to AB in the pissing rain on Friday ... zero visibility ... speeding ... random lane changing ... excessive dumbass tail gaiting ... reminded me of driving in the UK.

Funnily enough, most of the traffic was from SK to AB, not that many people going from AB to SK ... guess that the Prairie have not provinces are the new Atlantics.
If you've not experienced it yet, just wait for your first winter snowstorm with high winds... literally the car that was just in front of you disapears and all you see is white stuff blowing past your windscreen.... that even sh*ts up the Canadians & they tend to slow down (believe it or not) on the highways

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.