Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Courteous driving in Canada?

Courteous driving in Canada?

Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courteous driving in Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Doesn't everyone?

Except for when on the 400 series highways, which are usually clogged with nose to tail traffic, I don't think I ever operate my vehicle within the speed limits. Maybe sometimes in reverse.
OK, if that is the case, why would one need a radar detector? Surely, it`s obvious one is driving over the limit. If it isn`t, wouldn`t a quick look at the speedo provide the relevant information?

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 29th 2010 at 1:40 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't everyone?

Except for when on the 400 series highways, which are usually clogged with nose to tail traffic, I don't think I ever operate my vehicle within the speed limits. Maybe sometimes in reverse.
Even the worst drivers generally slow down to 40 for school zones during school houirs. The refreshing thing about it is that its not due to a noticeable heavy police presence or radar cameras or any of that, its because perhaps in some tiny crevice of their brain, they recognise that that particular low limit is there for a reason.

Im not holding out much hope for you of course, just throwing it out there...
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
OK, if that is the case, why would one need a radar detector.
In order to slow down when the police are out enforcing the limit obviously

Not being automatic cameras they can and do take on board things like how much over the limit you are going, whether you are slowing down, whether you were actually paying attention to your surroundings (ie the big white car in the distance) etc etc before they ticket you up. Im suprised this need spelling out to you.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 29th 2010 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by John_B
I've always felt that the Police should have the power to administer a 'Road Side Beating'. The police could just pull over a driver who is driving like a complete prick and putting other peoples lives in danger, and give him a good kicking, before letting him go about his day.
Wouldnt that be great.. if only they could be trusted not to abuse it
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
In order to slow down when the police are out enforcing the limit obviously

Not being automatic cameras they can and do take on board things like how much over the limit you are going, whether you are slowing down, whether you were actually paying attention to your surroundings (ie the big white car in the distance) etc etc before they ticket you up. Im suprised this need spelling out to you.
Oh right, so it is OK to break the law, but one must ensure one doesn`t get the punishment one deserves. Have I got that correct?

I guess those that would want such things aren`t prepared to stand up and be counted, I guess they are all probably bankers.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Try driving in PEI......

everyone STOPS to let people cross roads or to wait to be let in when they should be merging or to let their friend/family member/complete stranger in from a side road (almost causing a pile up behind them)
Happened this morning on the Route 2 into Charlottetown.

Geezer waiting to turn onto the highway from a side road (not indicating as normal) 90klm limit car behind me decided to stop to let him in didnt realise he wanted to turn left accross the highway therefore car came to a complete stop to allow him to turn, how nice.... apart from the 53ft artic who had to slam his brakes on lock all the trailer wheels hanging on the air horn eyes on stalks. The geezer turned left waving thanks and the car pulled away (waving) just in time totaly oblivious to it all... which is the main factor here, they just had no idea to what they had just done or the pile up they nearly caused and why it is wrong which makes it so dangerous, therefore trying to read the traffic or anticipate what is going to happen is impossible.

However try the New Jersey turnpike or the GW bridge in NY or the I95 in some places. Yanks make the Canadians look like members of the IAM.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:55 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Wouldnt that be great.. if only they could be trusted not to abuse it
I imagine people would slow down to applaud the sterling work the officers are performing on their behalf.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Oh right, so it is OK to break the law, but one must ensure one doesn`t get the punishment one deserves. Have I got that correct?

I guess those that would want such things aren`t prepared to stand up and be counted, I guess they are all probably bankers.
I cant think of anyone out there who would want to get punished? I dont know how effictive they would be anyway... Presumably those with them would likely be those far exceeding the limit and would be unable to slow down fast enough to avoid all trouble.

I am happy to admit I drive a bit over the limit, I dont think I am in a minority. I dont totally abuse it, but I dont dawdle along. I pay attention when I'm driving, I slow down in residential areas and I've had two tickets in 12 years. One was doing a steady 125 or 130 (cruise control) on the 401 in a well known revenue generation spot near Chatham, It was a clear road, visibility was good and I had 600km to go to get home. C'est la vie, now I know. The other was ironically because I was looking ahead, anticipating as I was driving. I accelerated away from some lights to get in front of the car on my right in order that I could move over to get by the large car stupidly parked blocking my lane 400 yards ahead with its trunk open (with a cop hiding behind the trunk lid).

I was pissed about that ticket as I was only doing 70 in the 50 zone because the cruiser was parked in my lane, but I took my lumps and paid the ticket. With hindsite I could have gone slow and found a gap to overtake in, but it was easier to just get ahead of the queue.

So yes, in my opinion there are worse crimes than slightly exceeding the speed limit, its certainly better to do 100 in an 80 zone with no traffic around on a dry road, than it is to blindly do 80 in an 80 zone in fog or freezing rain, or while texting!. Its how you drive, not how fast you drive that counts. But if you catch me doing 130 in an 80 zone by all means throw the book at me.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 29th 2010 at 2:05 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont dawdle along... But if you catch me doing 130 in an 80 zone by all means throw the book at me.
I usually cruise along the country roads that make up the route of my commute at 125. The limit is 80 on the paved ones, I think there's a lower blanket limit for gravel ones but, if so, I don't know what it is. Every day one or more vehicles pass me. I'm afraid that, by the standards of Wellington and Dufferin Counties, you are, indeed, dawdling.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I think there's a lower blanket limit for gravel ones
No, pretty sure its still 80

I'm afraid that, by the standards of Wellington and Dufferin Counties, you are, indeed, dawdling.
Im happy to dawdle then , faster than that and you have little chance to react if the wildlife decides to make an appearance, or more likely if you find a big pothole in the road.

Besides, if they actually ticket you for 130 in an 80 (on the off chance they dont downplay the ticket in the hope you wont contest it) then they will take your vehicle under the street racing legislation that seldom seems to be applied to street racers. They seem to like to apply that on the transcanada (Hwy 7) around here, seems they get one or two every weekend going by local news reports.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I cant think of anyone out there who would want to get punished? I dont know how effictive they would be anyway... Presumably those with them would likely be those far exceeding the limit and would be unable to slow down fast enough to avoid all trouble.

I am happy to admit I drive a bit over the limit, I dont think I am in a minority. I dont totally abuse it, but I dont dawdle along. I pay attention when I'm driving, I slow down in residential areas and I've had two tickets in 12 years. One was doing a steady 125 or 130 (cruise control) on the 401 in a well known revenue generation spot near Chatham, It was a clear road, visibility was good and I had 600km to go to get home. C'est la vie, now I know. The other was ironically because I was looking ahead, anticipating as I was driving. I accelerated away from some lights to get in front of the car on my right in order that I could move over to get by the large car stupidly parked blocking my lane 400 yards ahead with its trunk open (with a cop hiding behind the trunk lid).

I was pissed about that ticket as I was only doing 70 in the 50 zone because the cruiser was parked in my lane, but I took my lumps and paid the ticket. With hindsite I could have gone slow and found a gap to overtake in, but it was easier to just get ahead of the queue.

So yes, in my opinion there are worse crimes than slightly exceeding the speed limit, its certainly better to do 100 in an 80 zone with no traffic around on a dry road, than it is to blindly do 80 in an 80 zone in fog or freezing rain, or while texting!. Its how you drive, not how fast you drive that counts. But if you catch me doing 130 in an 80 zone by all means throw the book at me.

I have never stated that speeding was a terrible crime and, of course, the circumstances of the speeding should be taken into account when any form of "punishment" is meted out.

However, IMVHO, there is a difference between those that speed and then accept whatever punishment is given when caught, and those that go out with the intention of speeding but use illegal devices in an attempt not to get caught or to allege that they "deserve" a lesser punishment due to the fact that they were slowing down, or not travelling as fast as they were when they were caught. Those people, to me, are similar to those that argue that speeding tickets are just a "cash cow" for the authorities without being willing to accept that they were breaking the law at the time.

As with most things, I guess one`s view on this depends upon one`s moral compass and no two people will ever accept that their moral compass is inferior to another`s. Again, I make no assertion that my position is superior or inferior to others`.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I thought it was established that detectors are not illegal in alberta? They are certainly illegal in Ontario, even if you come from out of province and have it in your trunk I believe.

I do agree with your sentiment though, there is a premeditation involved, and my suspicion (unfounded) is that those using them are likely to be going a lot faster when speeding, which ignores the fact that driving on an open road is not the same as a track... you cant control what happens and you need to set your speed accordingly inorder to have time to react to the unexpected. Also, unlike the track, the consequences of an accident for the driver and any innocents caught up in the passing are likely to be far more severe.

Im not saying my position on speeding is superior, im just stating my position, I have no problem with driving at the speeds I posted earlier. I sleep sound enough at night.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, if they actually ticket you for 130 in an 80 (on the off chance they dont downplay the ticket in the hope you wont contest it) then they will take your vehicle under the street racing legislation that seldom seems to be applied to street racers.
They have the option to do so but it hasn't happened to me yet.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agr
I've taken to glancing in my mirror when shifting from first to second on pulling away from the lights. Too many times the following car is an automatic with the driver's right foot in on-off binary control, almost causing me to be rear-ended.
Am I the only one that sees anything wrong with this statement?

When I was taught to drive (on a manual) it was drilled into me that there should be no perceivable change in acceleration when shifting gears.

If you are slowing down between gears then you are shifting too damned slow and are likely just as much too blame as some of those you are complaining about.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Am I the only one that sees anything wrong with this statement?

When I was taught to drive (on a manual) it was drilled into me that there should be no perceivable change in acceleration when shifting gears.

If you are slowing down between gears then you are shifting too damned slow and are likely just as much too blame as some of those you are complaining about.
I find that autos accelerate faster in low gear than my truck, often coming up almost into my rear end. I am changing gear same as I alway have, the truck transmission is lower geared and I am not flooring the gas pedal, once I get up into 4 - 6 then they eat dust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.