Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A couple of questions to realtors out there

A couple of questions to realtors out there

Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A couple of questions to realtors out there

On looking at MLS and the like why are basements not included in the floor area calculations, even fully completed basements? and second, I have come across numerous entries on MLS where it says that the realtor and vendor do not warrant the retrofit status of the basement, is that me be because it was converted with out the necessary permits/inspections from city hall or use of licensed contractors? So the conversion is not legal and somewhere to stay clear of.

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:53 am
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all
Default Re: A couple of questions to realtors out there

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
On looking at MLS and the like why are basements not included in the floor area calculations, even fully completed basements? and second, I have come across numerous entries on MLS where it says that the realtor and vendor do not warrant the retrofit status of the basement, is that me be because it was converted with out the necessary permits/inspections from city hall or use of licensed contractors? So the conversion is not legal and somewhere to stay clear of.

Dozzzzy
Hi. I'm afraid I don't really know the answers to your questions, but I see that you want to move to Oakville. I have just returned from there and I know of an excellent realtor in that area. She's a really wonderful lady and she helped me out alot. If you want I can give you her details. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

My understanding of this, having just bought our first house here, is that
- basement is not included in the house square footage even if it is a finished basement
- some areas require permits to do the conversion int he basement, which means the plans are checked and the work inspected. It appears that getting basement permits is very very rare and hence most don't have one even if the work is up to standard. Take advice from yur realtor and make sure you are there when the home inspection is done. Good professionals in both these areas will help you

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:39 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

Hi

Any part of the house sub-terrain is considered basement.

A fully finished basement should be included in TOTAL living space but NOT main living space.

An unfinished basement is not considered either TOTAL or MAIN.

Main is habitable above ground sq footage.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I know partially finished basements are not considered in the sq ft calculation because they are not considered normal living space. Even 95% finished. My neighbours have done this _on purpose_ so that the Tax man CAN'T include their 'extra' space in determining what property taxes they pay.. i.e. hike.

You can go and get the permits but then you are also likely be inviting the tax man around after the reno. All i'm saying is that it doesn't necessarily mean the basement job was botched. But be careful!

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Caution - Some Canadians idea of a finished basement can be many things - laughable - dangerous - flimsy - and so on.

If you have not been in Canada and seen examples - you are in for an experience.

Canadians will "have a go" as wood is so cheap, they will use it for everything possible as quickly as possible some times.

Any person considering the Atlantic Provinces should think in terms of considering homes advertised for at least $120,000 - and in a city go look at homes no lower then $165,000.

Anything lower WILL NEED some work - one way or another.

Handy man specials (if in the UK), would be gutted out.

I am not a Realtor, I have been a consumer - so if you are checking out
www.mls.ca - remember what I told ya here.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Just make sure you get a decent home inspection. We just bought our first house and the basement is probably 95% finished, everything except the furnace/landry room and cold room. They had put in a bathroom and sink and things in the basement when they finished it and it all looked fine to me but definately worth going through it with the inspector to get peace of mind that all the things are installed properly and it's not going to fall apart or leak or anything like that.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Dozzzzy
Basements are not included because it would probably cause too much confusion for consumers, not all house have basements and some basements are above ground, so the sq footage is all the livable area above grade that is the norm. However cheekily some realtors will put over XXXX sq ft of livable area - if a basement is finished (always look for the livable area proviso with sq footage.

The retrofit status means its not been legally done - the necessary permits haven't been obtained by the city - doesn't necessarily mean the basement is unsafe or a hazard. A legals basement not properly maintained can be just as much risk as a non-legal one and a non legal basement made professionally with skilled tradespeople can be as safe as a legal one.

Its true also that there are different interpretations of finished basements - some are done VERY nicely - some are absolutely crap.

Definately get a home inspection if the basement is finished