Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Couple moving to Vancouver

Couple moving to Vancouver

Old May 18th 2007, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

sparky2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Couple moving to Vancouver

Hi, I am an electrician and my girlfriend is a nurse, both trained in the UK, and we're hoping to move to Vancouver. Are there any sparkys or nurses out there who we could chat to who've recently moved to Canada? Would love to know how you're finding life and to learn a bit more about the processes of actually working in Canada. Can anyone help?
Old May 18th 2007, 8:00 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Couple moving to Vancouver

Hi Sparky2,

Welcome to the forum. Most of us are quite sane but the waiting for PR seems to make others a bit crazy!!
Have you tried searching through the Immigration section of the forum as there are some recent posts on here about electricians, nurses and Vancouver.
Have you applied yet for your visas?
Old May 18th 2007, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Alison,

Good to hear from you. Have only discovered the Forum today, so still navigating our way around. Thanks, will have a look at the pages you recommend.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi again,

Sorry, forgot to answer your query. Have not applied for visas yet, but we have been told that apparently it may take a shorter time as we are classed as skilled workers. Lots to learn.
Old May 19th 2007, 9:49 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear Sparky2,
someone has been telling you porky pies - the waiting time for skilled visas is upwards of 40 months although cases do vary. The quickest way to go is to start applying now for jobs and if an employer offers you one that suits you as an electrician, then they apply to the HRSDC for an LMO ( Labour Market Opinion) and if it is approved then you apply for a Temporary Workers Visa. This way you could be in V in 6-9 months, if not before. Depends how quick the employer is sorting his end out.
www.jobsbank.ca is a good site or workopolis.com or www.monster.ca.
We also registered on a site www.jobsetc.com and they allow you to make up your Resume(CV) and then post out lots of suitable jobs each day. Your girlfriend (hope shes not your wife if so then I'm sorry) can do the same.
Hope this helps.
Old May 19th 2007, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Location: walnut grove, vancouver canada for the last 5 years.
medical mum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparky2
Hi, I am an electrician and my girlfriend is a nurse, both trained in the UK, and we're hoping to move to Vancouver. Are there any sparkys or nurses out there who we could chat to who've recently moved to Canada? Would love to know how you're finding life and to learn a bit more about the processes of actually working in Canada. Can anyone help?
Hi there sparky2;

Welcome to this site Vancouver are looking for nurses and electricians, You both can get jobs at the moment. I am a nurse at VCH, what do your what to know???? What type of nursing does she do???

alison
Old May 20th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Hi Alison and Medical Mum,

Thanks for your replies. My girlfriend is due to have some interviews in Vancouver in June, so they have said she may be able to go down the quicker route Alison mentions regarding visas, and then I believe I'll be able to get a visa as her spouse.
What area of nursing do you work in Medical Mum? My girlfriend is an occupational health nurse. We would like to know, how does working in Canada compare to the UK? Is short staffing a problem? Did it take long to get used to the healthcare system. How was it, doing the exams all over again? Would you say your quality of life has improved in Canada? Has it all been worth it?
Old May 28th 2007, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Couple moving to Vancouver

Hi Alison and Medical Mum,

Thanks for your replies. My girlfriend is due to have some interviews in Vancouver in June, so they have said she may be able to go down the quicker route Alison mentions regarding visas, and then I believe I'll be able to get a visa as her spouse.
What area of nursing do you work in Medical Mum? My girlfriend is an occupational health nurse. We would like to know, how does working in Canada compare to the UK? Is short staffing a problem? Did it take long to get used to the healthcare system. How was it, doing the exams all over again? Would you say your quality of life has improved in Canada? Has it all been worth it?
Hi Sparky,
Sorry I couldn't get back to you soon: work gets in the way. I work on Trauma ortho unit at VGH, otherwise a surgery ward base nurse. I do not know about your girlfriends type of work. i do not have much contact with that side.
You girlfriend can get a work permit within three to four months. Start now doing the paperwork for the CRNABC equal to RCN in England. There is a short of nurses at present, because people are retiring. It took me about six months to learn the system. Your girlfriend needs to take the Canadian Nursing exam, she can take this once she get over here. I will tell the truth we have had our up's and down's since being here. The longer you stay the easier it gets, I did scream all the way home from Vancouver to Langley, which is about 4o minutes for the couple of weeks but I dig my heels in. It is worth it in the long run. I could not afford my house over here in England. It is a better life for my children.
Hear from you soon,

Alison.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by medical mum
Hi Sparky,
Sorry I couldn't get back to you soon: work gets in the way. I work on Trauma ortho unit at VGH, otherwise a surgery ward base nurse. I do not know about your girlfriends type of work. i do not have much contact with that side.
You girlfriend can get a work permit within three to four months. Start now doing the paperwork for the CRNABC equal to RCN in England. There is a short of nurses at present, because people are retiring. It took me about six months to learn the system. Your girlfriend needs to take the Canadian Nursing exam, she can take this once she get over here. I will tell the truth we have had our up's and down's since being here. The longer you stay the easier it gets, I did scream all the way home from Vancouver to Langley, which is about 4o minutes for the couple of weeks but I dig my heels in. It is worth it in the long run. I could not afford my house over here in England. It is a better life for my children.
Hear from you soon,

Alison.

Forget to add that you Sparky can get work over here. It would have to be a non-union job until you go back to school to do the canadian electrican course try www.bcit.ca www.kwantlen.ca do these courses. Start doing the paperwork.
Old May 29th 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi again,

Sorry, forgot to answer your query. Have not applied for visas yet, but we have been told that apparently it may take a shorter time as we are classed as skilled workers. Lots to learn.
Read in our local paper recently (vancouver island - cowichan valley) that there is a real nurse shortage and they are recruiting nurses from UK to work here. Think you will def be able to come here via PNP for both of your jobs if you can get a job offer. We got PNP and we got PR in 5 months. good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Hi. Thanks for the info and comments. We have arranged some interviews and flying out to Vancouver soon. Glad to hear that you think we might be able to get over fairly quickly. Fingers crossed.

Katie