Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Counselling, Carpentry & Cost of Living out West!

Counselling, Carpentry & Cost of Living out West!

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future
Default Counselling, Carpentry & Cost of Living out West!

Hi everyone,

Hello to all using the forum. I have very quickly discovered in terms of emigration this site is where it is at!

We applied for PR in the skilled worker category and received our AOR in September last year. We intended on residing in Brantford, Ont. to be near my cousin originally, but quickly realised the wait would be too long.
My husband (a carpenter by trade) is presently discussing a finishing carpenter job offer in Vancouver through Tricontinental Global Services, (the P.N.P route). We chose an agent for our skilled worker application and do not want to pay again for services rendered! Like everyone else trying to play chess in the emigration game, (have previously moved to Australia and so have first-hand experience)! would like to ask others about their experiences choosing a similar route.

We have been 'put off' the west due to cost of living etc. and price/rental of property, but are attracted to the climate and work opportunities. Due to current housing situation in U.K we are considering coming over and renting our house until market picks up. Anyone have any ideas?

Other disheartening news, is that through this forum (and other places) I have gleaned my counselling diploma might be worth diddley-squat in Canada. Particularly so as I won't qualify until July next year and looks like I might have to re-train. Too far forward in my training to back out, (not that I want to), but not good when I was hoping it would galvanize our position on arrival. Again, any feedback much appreciated.

One last note and it is a message to all. We emigrated to Oz when I was seven months pregnant and experienced the range of emotion others are experiencing on this site. For a whole host of reasons, we came back but what we did learn through the process, is it really does all work out as it is meant to be. Knowing that, and willing to consider it all again, we are far less stressed this time. When we went to Oz, reflecting on that experience and with the benefit of hind-sight, we know whenever we feel it is not working as we plan, there will be an alternative which will take us down a slightly different path! She says!!!

Good luck to all by the way.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:54 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of
Default Re: Counselling, Carpentry & Cost of Living out West!

Originally Posted by Caimas
Hi everyone,

Hello to all using the forum. I have very quickly discovered in terms of emigration this site is where it is at!

We applied for PR in the skilled worker category and received our AOR in September last year. We intended on residing in Brantford, Ont. to be near my cousin originally, but quickly realised the wait would be too long.
My husband (a carpenter by trade) is presently discussing a finishing carpenter job offer in Vancouver through Tricontinental Global Services, (the P.N.P route). We chose an agent for our skilled worker application and do not want to pay again for services rendered! Like everyone else trying to play chess in the emigration game, (have previously moved to Australia and so have first-hand experience)! would like to ask others about their experiences choosing a similar route.

We have been 'put off' the west due to cost of living etc. and price/rental of property, but are attracted to the climate and work opportunities. Due to current housing situation in U.K we are considering coming over and renting our house until market picks up. Anyone have any ideas?

Other disheartening news, is that through this forum (and other places) I have gleaned my counselling diploma might be worth diddley-squat in Canada. Particularly so as I won't qualify until July next year and looks like I might have to re-train. Too far forward in my training to back out, (not that I want to), but not good when I was hoping it would galvanize our position on arrival. Again, any feedback much appreciated.

One last note and it is a message to all. We emigrated to Oz when I was seven months pregnant and experienced the range of emotion others are experiencing on this site. For a whole host of reasons, we came back but what we did learn through the process, is it really does all work out as it is meant to be. Knowing that, and willing to consider it all again, we are far less stressed this time. When we went to Oz, reflecting on that experience and with the benefit of hind-sight, we know whenever we feel it is not working as we plan, there will be an alternative which will take us down a slightly different path! She says!!!

Good luck to all by the way.
Hi to you and welcome,

I felt I should write as we too emigrated to Oz and are now in Canada

Flexibility is the key to success, along with a fair bit of research. (My personal view, having seen so many people coming out here, is that research is critical).

Yes, by comparison to the provinces further east, BC is expensive. But our economy is still relatively strong and that helps. Your husband's skills are still very much in demand.

I don't know so much about counselling, but being on the west coast I would suggest that you turn yourself into a life coach.

My site too might be of use now you are looking at BC.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Counselling, Carpentry & Cost of Living out West!

Hi Frank

Thank you so much for your reply and link to website. It looks great and I will be checking it out over the next couple of days. I agree, flexibility is the key and I will bear those words in mind!

Kind regards and look forward to 'speaking' with you,

Jo-Anne