Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Costco - value of money for a single person

Costco - value of money for a single person

Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Costco - value of money for a single person

Been checking out some of the old threads I have posted and also thinking about new items of furniture I will be needing after I land in Canada.

Few questions as I have never used costco before, I did use Macro(think that was the name in the UK many many years ago)

One of the threads I posted, it seems costco great value for meat(as long as you're fine buying in bulk). Same with a lot of other grocery items.
What about fruit and veg?

They do seem to have great offers around furniture etc(and some of the reviews I have seen very positive), even discounts on petrol and the like.

I know the membership is not that much, but wondering if I would get any value from it considering I do not really eat that much meat and furniture is going to be a one off cost for many years, which I may not even buy at Costco.

How would you compare the prices/quality of furniture/electrical compared to other stores.

From what I have read the costco own brand Kirkland is pretty good.

Has anyone tried the car/home insurance policies?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costco - value of money for a single person

I've never got a Costco membership but do occasionally go with a friend and pick up toilet rolls and Welsh cheddar, and stock up with chicken and mince for the freezer, and perhaps some other bits and pieces. I think I would be tempted to get a membership for a year if there was a particularly good deal on some large item I needed so perhaps that's worth you doing if that's the case. It depends on how close you are to a Costco location too - unless it's very convenient, it's probably more economic to shop closer to home.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Can you buy Costco gift cards in Canada? If you have a Costco gift card you can shop at Costco without a Costco membership.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

We used the in-laws card a few times when there were offers on, the meat is definitely good quality and well priced in bulk

we did buy a lot of non-perishable stuff in bulk, but found that a lot of stuff is the same price or even cheaper in some cases in Superstore or Walmart

Just depends on if you think you'll get the use of it

It was nice filling up the truck with fuel at 51.9c/ltr
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would say no, Mrs DJ and I have a card, and went crazy at the local store for a while, but we would end up chucking food out all the time, I intended getting a new Samsung telly from there but got a newer model on a better deal at BestBuy.
For families with kids I would imagine it works really well.
The lines for the gas were always a disaster so never bothered filling up.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure I mentioned on the other Costco thread that it's not worth it for me as a single person, but was great when I was living in the back-of-nowhere & feeding a family.

I think it depends on where you are in Canada. So, YMMV.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 1:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can but Costco gift cards in Canada.

Costco's outstanding refund policy applies to membership too. If you aren't satisfied...they will refund it...so there's nothing to lose by getting it.

I have bought furniture from there. For example...we bought 2 leather 3 seater sofas for $499 each in the sale. Excellent quality leather and very well made. They stood up much better than sofas we have paid a few thousand dollars for. The Costco guys put them in the back of our truck...wouldn't accept a tip...said it wasn't allowed.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I think it depends on where you are in Canada. So, YMMV.
The OP intends to live near Square One in Mississauga and so should take advantage of the opportunity to visit Costco in order to be entertained, to meet people, and to see attractive, if highly functional, architecture. The sausages and dog beds are a bonus.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 2:10 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a single person and it works for me. I get almond milk in bulk as I don't get through it that quickly anyway.

As mentioned above, the meat is good quality and good value.

Their strewberries and raspeberries, when in season are pretty good compared to ones I see in superstore/Safeway/IGA.

It works for me but then I forgo eating out to have good quality food in my place
Old Dec 8th 2016, 2:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Can you buy Costco gift cards in Canada? If you have a Costco gift card you can shop at Costco without a Costco membership.

Best tip of the day - thanks for that

"You must be a Costco member to purchase Costco Cash Cards (online or at the warehouse). Reloads are only available at a Costco location. Members and non-members* may use the Costco Cash Cards to shop at any Costco location in Canada and online on Costco.ca. Costco Cash Cards may be used toward membership or merchandise.

* Non-member use
You do not have to be a Costco member to use a Costco Cash Card, but non-members must register for a one-day shopping pass at the Membership Counter to access the warehouse. Non-members may only be issued a one-day pass twice per calendar year and the one-day pass may not be used as a replacement for a Costco membership. Non-members may not carry a balance on the card. If they do not spend the full amount of the card, the balance will be refunded at the cash register. If the value of a non-member purchase exceeds the value of the cash card, the excess can only be paid by cash, debit or MasterCard.

Costco Cash Card features include:

•No expiry date
•Reloadable at any Costco warehouse location
•Balance can be accessed on Costco.ca or by calling the toll-free number on the back of the card
•Can be purchased in denominations from $50 to $1,000
•Can be used at Costco Gas Stations"
Old Dec 8th 2016, 4:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
Been checking out some of the old threads I have posted and also thinking about new items of furniture I will be needing after I land in Canada.

Few questions as I have never used costco before, I did use Macro(think that was the name in the UK many many years ago)

One of the threads I posted, it seems costco great value for meat(as long as you're fine buying in bulk). Same with a lot of other grocery items.
What about fruit and veg?

Only buying in bulk is a myth, you can buy small packs of meat and you can buy a bunch of bananas. Not to mention a single pack of cereal, jar of peanut butter, jug of milk etc.

They do seem to have great offers around furniture etc(and some of the reviews I have seen very positive), even discounts on petrol and the like.

The furniture they sell is decent quality, they have a much better selection online though

I know the membership is not that much, but wondering if I would get any value from it considering I do not really eat that much meat and furniture is going to be a one off cost for many years, which I may not even buy at Costco.

For $50 you cannot go wrong, you will generally save that on gas prices over the year if you always fill up there.
I never thought the day would come when I admit this, but 90% of the clothes I own were purchased at Costco. Pants, socks, jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, winter jacket, summer jacket, shorts, gloves, boots, you name it they sell it.

How would you compare the prices/quality of furniture/electrical compared to other stores.
Compared to IKEA the furniture quality is far superior

From what I have read the costco own brand Kirkland is pretty good.

Kirkland grain free dog food is $35 for a huge bag, local pet shops cannot come close to matching that price

Has anyone tried the car/home insurance policies?
Unfortunately here in BC a Crown Corporation has the car insurance monopoly
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Usually good value, especially if you get it on sale. Just saved 20% on dog food, so bought a lot. Buying in bulk, so long as it does not go off is a further saving. Saves going shopping as often and saves on fuel.

Just got another cell phone plan. got a free phone and $300 in cash cards.

Gas is often cheaper than local stations, often along line up though. We get 2% back on purchases, plus a rebate on the MasterCards we use in store.

Returns are easy and without question, unlike many other stores who will argue blind to try and avoid taking something back.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

We like it, and we find it good value. We have the $110 membership that gets 2% cash back, plus we get 2% cash back on the credit card we use.

Milk comes in the same sized bag as the grocery store (the 4L package with 3 bags) and is definitely cheaper. Regular milk is about $3.49 (compared to $4.79 at the grocery store) and the PurFilter milk is $4.29 (compared to $5.99-7.99).

Cheese absolutely is cheaper and they have some nice cheddars.

Meat you do end up buying in bulk, or just larger portions at least. Like salmon, you have to buy a whole fillet... but if you are fine with cutting it into portions and freezing it then it's absolutely good value. Chicken breasts come in trays of 8-10, thighs in trays of 25, and so on.

Paper products (paper towel, toilet paper, etc) definitely cheaper, though sometimes if places like Walmart or Superstore have sales on you can find competitive pricing. I just find it easier to just know that I'm getting a good price at Costco instead of going to different places for different sales.

Clothes are awesome - I'm with Danny that a large portion of my and my husband's wardrobes come from Costco. The clothing is actually really good and comfy and not expensive. A lot of it is brand name as well, and even the Costco own brands (Company, Tuff, Santana, etc) are fantastic.

I also have a kid and the Kirkland diapers and wipes are by far my favourites. I've used Pampers and Huggies (even Huggies purchased at Costco when the sale price was cheaper than the Kirkland regular price) and my husband and I agree conclusively that the Kirkland ones are better. I once used a package of Huggies wipes and didn't tell him, just put them in the travel kit in the diaper bag, and when he got home he was just like "Schnooks, wtf is with the wipes, why are they broken." Haha.

Any of the Kirkland brand stuff as well is great. There's really not much from Costco that I haven't liked or found decent value.

So for us, it's great value. The only exception is the fruit and vegetables, we don't go through it fast enough for it to be worth buying. I do buy the berries there, because those we do go through, but the bananas come in bunches of 12-14 and we don't eat them fast enough... but, like, I can't go through a bag of 30 onions or 30 potatoes or 5 butternut squashes, haha. If you do go through it enough, though, then awesome.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

We used to have membership until I started buying meat from a local farmer. Yes you can save money but you really need to know your prices and not buy stuff on a whim. It was hard to get out of there without spending $300, $400. I think the quantities, the minimum amount you can purchase of fruit and veg are too great for one person.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Buying meat in bulk isn't a problem...wrap it individually and freeze. I buy clothes...jeans/leggings/tops/coats...even underwear. Mix it up with more expensive stuff. Always buy electronics, cameras etc from Costco. I've even bought annual memberships as gifts.

Can't beat their returns policy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.