Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of shipping containers?????

Cost of shipping containers?????

Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of shipping containers?????

We have finally s**d the house - don't want to say the word in case we jinx the whole thing - and we are in the process of getting quotes for containers.

I thought that by cutting down the amount of stuff we are taking down to about half a container would cut the cost considerably........

It turns out that three of the quotes are only about six or seven hundred cheaper and still about £3100 when a full container is about £3800.

So the question is whether this is about right?

If it is then we will just get a full container and not worry about culling the stuff a family of five seems to accumulate.

thanks for the advice
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of shipping containers?????

I don't know what the cost 'should' be, though I've seen £4500-ish for a full container elsewhere on here.

Where are you going from and to, and does your quote include full door-to-door and insurance?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

GeDe will become famous soon enoughGeDe will become famous soon enough

which companies would people recommend, we are also starting to think about the whole logistics nightmare, so I'll watch this space....
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Going from Norfolk to Alberta destination still being discussed as still need to secure a job as a paramedic.

I have seen on here that a full container load should cost between £3800 to £4500 depending who/what/where.

I kinda figured that half a container would be a little over half the cost but it appears I am so very wrong.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:30 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukcanuck
I kinda figured that half a container would be a little over half the cost but it appears I am so very wrong.
LTL (Less than Container Load) is always comparitively more expensive as the shipper has to handle the cargo much more - receive-consolidate-load-ship-unload-de-consolidate-deliver. So not really a suprise that a full container wont cost you much more. I would be tempted to go full container and block it with absolutely everything I had + any stuff I would buy that I can't get for same price/quality/at all in Canada. Bedding is a popular thing for example.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ukcanuck
We have finally s**d the house - don't want to say the word in case we jinx the whole thing - and we are in the process of getting quotes for containers.

I thought that by cutting down the amount of stuff we are taking down to about half a container would cut the cost considerably........

It turns out that three of the quotes are only about six or seven hundred cheaper and still about £3100 when a full container is about £3800.

So the question is whether this is about right?

If it is then we will just get a full container and not worry about culling the stuff a family of five seems to accumulate.

thanks for the advice

Don't forget to add the marine insurance and the insurance for mould etc. It soon mounts up!
We used Robinsons (Morecambe to Calgary) and have a 20 foot container.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

You could save quite a bit by going the self pack route...
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

We used Robinsons when we came out. They were OK. Not spectacular but by no means awful either. A few of our clients seem to have had a good experience with PSS recently. Their packing seems very professional. We paid about £4000 before marine insurance for a full 20ft container, to Calgary.

Some general commentary on our removals/container experience can be found in among something we wrote here...
http://britishexpats.com/articles/canada/uk-to-alberta/
And there are many, many posts on Expats on the subject too.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet
ukcanuck - you might want to drop us a PM on the Paramedic thing. One of our clients here is a Paramedic and is having a nightmare with the Alberta College of Paramedics (I think that's what they are called).
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

SO PSS & Robinson have been suggested. Anyone got any other suggestions of companies worth trying? We are shipping from London to Vancouver. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.