Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living Vancouver (2018)

Cost of Living Vancouver (2018)

Old Nov 22nd 2018, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living Vancouver (2018)

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I was factoring in the minimum tip that should be left - not what is usual to leave. Where I live too, 18-22% is the norm.

There are the 'all you can eat' Japanese restaurants - where everything is cooked/prepared fresh to order - where you can pay a flat rate of $29-$32 per person for dinner - or for lunch $19-$22. However, you pay per piece if you don't eat everything you order on top and there's a maximum time permitted to order and eat; plus taxes, plus tip... plus any drinks you might have. Pretty much you are looking at a minimum of $40pp for dinner and $28.50 for lunch, even if you just drink water.

For A La Carte I think the cheapest I have seen maki is $4; $4.50 for California Roll and $8 for 'special' - at a run of the mill place, eating in, so yes Vancouver appears to be more reasonable, for that at least - based on what you had, it would cost $19 plus your drink, plus tip, here. We don't do 'tourists or touristy' in the Hammer, lol.

Vancouver (and possibly BC) is the cheapest place in Canada to eat Japanese food, and most places are good, even the little hole-in-the-wall. I just keep away from the fancy touristy written up places!

Green Tea and water are almost always free. with your meal.

I've never eaten "all you can eat"Japanese, always go for a la carte. I don't think I've even seen an "all you can eat" place here.

I'm horrified at how much Japanese food costs in Halifax ............. an ordinary roll such as cucumber, tuna, salmon (atlantic not wild sockeye), etc etc were up to 3 times as expensive there as here. We don't eat Atlantic salmon, and most of the Japanese places anyway sell only wild sockeye, for $2.50-2.75 for 6 pieces. Cucumber is usually about $1.75 for 6. I think the last time we had Japanese in Halifax (about 6 years ago now), cucumber was close to $3.00

My daughter eats as many meals in our local place as she can when she comes back for a short visit! She even arranges to meet friends there for lunch!

The other cheap place to eat, especially for lunch, is at one of the many Korean Noodle Houses.

I go for either Japanese or Chinese stir fry if I have to eat at a Food Fair in a mall ............... both usually good, and around $5-10
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

yakstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scilly
OK ................ first you have to be aware that some of the takeaways that are now so common in the UK, such as kebabs, curries, Indian* foods, etc are not generally found in many areas of BC.

Takeaways are Chinese, Japanese, pizza, Korean, etc

I live in a part of Vancouver where the most places to eat are Japanese sushi .............. I think we have about 10 in one 5 block area, with one more opening soon ............. Japanese Bubble Tea (at least 3), Chinese/Japanese combo, Filipino/Canadian combo. We once had a kebab place and a Donair but I think only the Donair has survived.

We happen to like Japanese, and the one we go to has a full range of sushi and various hot meals. We went to the Filipino/Canadian one last weekend, OH had fish and chips and was not impressed. I had baby pork back ribs and fries, which were good. But the prices were quite high for twice a week dining out.

If you want south-east Asian foods, better look at Surrey which has a very large population of South-East Asians. But it is going to cost you much more than what you seem to be expecting

Battered sausages and fries are basically unheard of here ........ there was a thread on the Maple Leaf a few weeks ago by someone who was desperate. I must say they sound awful!

You may not even like fish and chips ............ good ones are VERY hard to find!

Indians* ............. get used to NOT using this term here.

Here it has always referred to the First Nations, but is now considered to be a derogatory term and not to be used.

People for the subcontinent of India are usually referred to as South-East Asians
noted, unfortunately OH doesn’t like sushi, but does eat katsu curry and other Japanese hot foods, as well Korean. In fairness I’m looking forward to some healthier dishes for a change, so I’m excited about sushi and how cheap it is. I’m getting mixed messages on pricing so I’m going leave the budget where it is and amend it when I get there.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you basing your prices on UK prices converted, or actual cost in Vancouver?

I live in a mid sized City in Ontario - which is generally known to be far cheaper to live in than Vancouver - and while (where I live) there are multitudes of take out places that will deliver (try 'skipthedishes' for prices), it's not cheap! Don't forget to add on the delivery charge as well, unless ordering over the minimum.

Lunch for $15? what's that for, coffee and a sub or a burger? If you're talking going to a restaurant I think you could pretty much double that - and don't forget to add on 15% for taxes and another minimum of 15% for the tip (gratuity) at any establishment where you have been served (not McD's etc., lol).

My son had sushi last night - very basic amount, sashimi 6 pieces in total, 8 maki slices, seaweed salad - with taxes and delivery $58! For enough food for 1.
I went out to dinner on Saturday with 2 female friends. They shared 2 small dishes, I had my own (arctic char fillet and a side salad - $27 plus 15% tax), I had 1 drink, they had 2 and we all had coffee, they had dessert - the bill? $189 without a tip (thank goodness I wasn't paying)!

We can get a decent Indian, Thai, Mexican, Lebanese (kebabs), Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Pizza, Wings and even fish n chips takeout here though
thanks, I’m basing prices on my time in Vancouver last year (tips included), also on other people who’ve shared their budgets. my wife and I normally share a main course and opt in for a side dish or 2 starters instead (no desserts), so our costs are generally 1.5x single person costs. The budget is there as an estimate and we may end up going to one pricy restaurant one week and two moderately priced ones another or not at all the week after that. Point taken though, and we will be prepared to be hit with slightly higher costs depending on where we live.

anyway, I’ve received some good news yesterday! I’ve now a date to fly out to Vancouver in a couple of weeks time to “audition” for the role and trial it out. So I’ll try and head out as much as I can in the evenings to gauge how accurate my budget is and try out as many different zones/neighbourhoods as possible. It’ll be good to ask a few of the colleagues in some suggestions to live and eat. Maybe even bump into other expats
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Note that a lot of places in Vancouver might not be prepared to have 2 people share 1 main ..... make it fairly obvious that they don't like it!

I haven't heard of it being a regular thing here.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 10:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I've also gathered that Indan food in the UK is different form Indian food in India, and different from Indian food here!
Ditto Chinese.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ditto Chinese.

Chinese food here is different vs the US as well. Not a fan of it here.

Vancouver need is good Mexican. Even what the locals call good is subpar and pricey.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 1:30 am
Just Joined

yakstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Evening all, I’ve landed in Vancouver earlier today, brought the crappy weather with me it seems. I’m staying near Gilmore station for the next 7 days in case anyone is in the area or could recommend some cool places to go. Thanks!