Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living - Halifax

Cost Of Living - Halifax

Old May 17th 2009, 9:53 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost Of Living - Halifax

Not sure if it's the age, but more about the rebuild costs and matching the original materials and specs.

Every time I've gone for a quote on this place, I always get the usual question "how much original plaster work?" and I always say "right, there is a lot but if there's a total loss I want gyproc instead". They say "but if we don't replace to the original specification then you might sue us" to which I reply "well, so and so gave me a quote to replace to my specification..can you not do better?"...this has worked for me so far and reduced the quotes by quite a bit each time.

Originally Posted by Tangram
Interesting. I guess it must be the age of property and perhaps the Province. Ours is 2500sqft plus basement so probably about 3300sqft but only 10 years old. Vehicle is a 2009 Santa Fe and combined insurance with Johnsons is $1800 per year.
Old May 17th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kancell
that's bonkers, it costs us £700 a year for insurance for building & contents and 2 cars, which is about $1300. do you anticipate this figure significantly reducing after a few years in Canada?

we've been in NS 4 years now, so the prices we pay are less than we initially did when we first arrived. Have made no claims on house or car insurance in that time.
Old May 17th 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Interesting. I guess it must be the age of property and perhaps the Province. Ours is 2500sqft plus basement so probably about 3300sqft but only 10 years old. Vehicle is a 2009 Santa Fe and combined insurance with Johnsons is $1800 per year.
Our house is approx 3000sqft not including basement and we have been told that it all goes on the age of the house and the cost of rebuild hence so expensive.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Our house is approx 3000sqft not including basement and we have been told that it all goes on the age of the house and the cost of rebuild hence so expensive.
That's what I thought.
Old May 18th 2009, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

PGarner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by val50
We are in Bedford, have a 4 bedroomed house, small garden.
council tax - $350 a month.
Oil (for heating and hot water) $400 a month
Electricity - approx $150 a month
Water - approx $100 a month
car insurance $160 a month (Kia Rio)
House insurance $120 a month
food bills average about $150 a week
rentals closer to Halifax more expensive, average in our area seems to be around $1500-$2000 a month
Fall River is a popular area, as is Porter's Lake. Depends what you want really - larger plots the further away you get from town.
Would avoid some areas of Dartmouth and central Halifax.
Ouch. We are back in Halifax for a couple of days now for a quick reccie before going home. If these numbers bear out, there is no way we can afford to move. We would be worse off than in the UK.

It looks (roughly) like we would need to get $4k + after taxes to live to a reasonable standard. Does that sound about right ?

Thanks for all the replies so far. Any other comments welcome.

P&C
Old May 18th 2009, 11:58 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PGarner
Ouch. We are back in Halifax for a couple of days now for a quick reccie before going home. If these numbers bear out, there is no way we can afford to move. We would be worse off than in the UK.

It looks (roughly) like we would need to get $4k + after taxes to live to a reasonable standard. Does that sound about right ?

Thanks for all the replies so far. Any other comments welcome.

P&C
For what it's worth I think Val's figures are fairly accurate. However heating cost depends on your house - people I know who have heat pumps or wood burners and well insulated houses spend close to $1500 per year for heating.

Property tax (council tax) is based on the house value so for a less expensive house you would pay less obviously.

I can't comment on your wage without knowing more about the job. But the cost of living isnt cheap in Halifax so it's possible you need to try asking for more money.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:24 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by val50
Oil (for heating and hot water) $400 a month
Electricity - approx $150 a month
Water - approx $100 a month
I seriously cannot believe you're paying $650 a month on utilities. I've been going mental at my gas bill over the winter ($500+ p/month), and all my colleagues were flabbergasted. The most they pay for gas is $150 p/month. Turns out I was looked in to a ridiculously high gas price ($11.19 per Gj)

Why is it so much more expensive in NS compared to AB??
With a change of gas supplier I'll be paying
Gas $150 p/month (tops)
Water $70 ish p/month
Electricity $90 p/month
Old May 19th 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kancell
hhmm very interesting indeed, certainly food for thought! would you expect this to be canada wide, as our summer reccie is based primarily around ottawa and also taking in GTA, quebec city and montreal. we have everything we could ever need here, apart from the weather, and really are only considering moving for a bit of adventure and to try something different. i certainly didnt envisage being any worse off than the UK, as i had been led to believe thats bills/costs etc averaged out fairly similarly to the UK!
Since coming to Canada in 2005 I have lived in Wolfville NS and now Ottawa. My numbers are:

Wolfville
3 bedroom, 1500 sq ft
Heat - primarily wood but also some oil and electric
Hot water - electric
Oil - $45/month
Wood - $50/month
Electric - $170/month
Water - $35/month

Ottawa
4 bedroom, 2500 sq ft
Heat - primarily gas but also some electric
Hot water - gas
Gas - $120/month
Electric - $90/month
Water - $55/month

We were stung for car insurance in the first year (approx. $225/month for VW Golf) but this came down to $85/month once we found an insurer that recognised our UK no claims history.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the cost in Ottawa given the size of the house and the severity of the winters. It helps that unlike some of our friends here we don't heat it to t-shirt temperature in the winter and we prefer fans to air con. Ottawa is very hot and humid in the summer and some people pay a fortune to cool their house.

Last edited by Deva; May 19th 2009 at 12:42 am. Reason: Spelling
Old May 19th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I seriously cannot believe you're paying $650 a month on utilities. I've been going mental at my gas bill over the winter ($500+ p/month), and all my colleagues were flabbergasted. The most they pay for gas is $150 p/month. Turns out I was looked in to a ridiculously high gas price ($11.19 per Gj)

Gas $150 p/month (tops)
Water $70 ish p/month
Electricity $90 p/month

well if you don't believe me, I'm happy to scan and send you copies of our recent bills. In fact Scotia Fuel, who we get our oil from, wanted to put the monthly bill up even more. It's only when we phoned them and asked why that they backed down and we settled on the amount we now pay - it's spread out over the year so we don't get hit with bigger bills in winter.
One of the reasons our electricity bill is so high is because where we live in Bedford, we are not allowed to hang washing outside to dry, so we have to use a dryer all the time. I hate this but there is nothing we can do about it.
It's like a number of us have been saying for a long time, if you are living close to Halifax, then NS is not a cheap option.
My husband's salary almost doubled what it was when we moved there, but I can honestly say we are not that much better off financially, especially once you take into account the high rate of tax here.

Last edited by val50; May 19th 2009 at 8:01 am.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

The benefit of lying is what??

Vals figures are pretty much identical to ours.

Gas $150 p/month (tops)
Water $70 ish p/month
Electricity $90 p/month
Old May 19th 2009, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SAW 04
The benefit of lying is what??

Vals figures are pretty much identical to ours.
I'm not saying she was lying- merely expressing my suprise.

Although I still cannot understand the price difference. Even Deva, who lives in NS also, pays nothing in comparison to you.

We'd like to move to NS at some point in the future, hence my interest.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:25 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

It just depends on where you live (ie closer to Halifax the more you pay, further out is cheaper) and what price you bought your house for, how big your house is (heating wise), whether your on a well and septic, or on mains water etc etc.

Val's list of prices are very typical for living in Halifax - which is why I had to move out otherwise I would be living in my tent in Val's back garden now (sneakily eating her raspberries :0) )
Old May 19th 2009, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
It just depends on where you live (ie closer to Halifax the more you pay, further out is cheaper)
Why would that be? Would have expected the opposite, to be honest.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Although I still cannot understand the price difference. Even Deva, who lives in NS also, pays nothing in comparison to you.
Lived in NS. I'm not there now.

Living costs are so dependent on house size/design and lifestyle. I just wanted to show that you can live in NS (and Ottawa) for less than the costs that were mentioned, as they seemed to be shocking some potential ex-pats.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

markw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant futuremarkw97 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deva
Lived in NS. I'm not there now.

Living costs are so dependent on house size/design and lifestyle. I just wanted to show that you can live in NS (and Ottawa) for less than the costs that were mentioned, as they seemed to be shocking some potential ex-pats.
My numbers for living in rural nova scotia are:

3 bedroom, 1400 sq ft
Heat - primarily wood but also some oil
Hot water - electric
Oil - $30/month
Wood - Free. Cut it myself
Electric - $130/month
Water - $0 Well and Septic
Council tax: $900 per year
House Insurance: $1000 per year
Car Insurance: $1300 (1 car and 1 truck)

Its a lot cheaper outside of HRM.
Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.