Reload this Page >

Cost of Living, Canada Vs UK

Cost of Living, Canada Vs UK

Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cost of Living, Canada Vs UK

Originally Posted by chrisparr
That's very interesting. If I ever move to Canada, I would imagine selling the house, paying off the mortgage and any debt, and at the end of that I should be debt free (fingers crossed). There may only be 5 pence left at the end, but 5 pence in credit.

1) How did you manage the debt when in Canada, was it just sending money back to a UK account?

2) 5% deposit on a home? I think I read somewhere (I think the canilink site) that deposits in Canada were 25%?

Cheers

Chris
A newcomer with a job needs only a 10% deposit. One without a job will need to put down a 25%-35% deposit. Established immigrants can now borrow the whole 100%, since CMHC changed the ruling (the year before last?) on the 5% deposit required (it had to be yours, not borrowed).
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcexit
Established immigrants can now borrow the whole 100%, since CMHC changed the ruling (the year before last?) on the 5% deposit required (it had to be yours, not borrowed).
I though I had heard that too, but on the CMHC site it still said 5% so I edited that post to reflect the CMHC site.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew

Rent (1 bedroom not in the centre (600 Pounds (subsidized as I am a key worker-including council tax and bill) $650 all bills(not subsidized as key workers are paid decently)
Good god, what were you living in in Vancouver, a shoe box? $650 all in would be reasonable in Belleville let alone Vancouver!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

I lived on Thurlow and Haro. It was a one bedroom and den including heat (650 square feet), hotwater and cable. I paid $630.00 (I am not kidding you - It was an older building). Just to note, many of my friends have recently found decent but older one bedrooms on Commercial Drive, and the suburbs for $650.00. You do need to search for it in Vancouver, however their a dime a dozen in the suburbs. I know the city quite well so I know where to shop.

In England I live at least a 20 minute walk to town (a town that is 50 minutes by train to London). I pay 600.00 pounds per month (That is including the subsidies) if I include council tax, heat, water and electrics. Also my apartment is approximately 490 square feet and by Canadian Standards a shoe box.

Originally Posted by iaink
Good god, what were you living in in Vancouver, a shoe box? $650 all in would be reasonable in Belleville let alone Vancouver!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

DavidWright will become famous soon enoughDavidWright will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, however I feel some of your figures are wildly off the mark.
$650 inclusive rent in Vancouver???????
I don't think so!
$650 is probably more like the average in Regina. I would expect to pay at
least $900 for a bachelor in Vancouver without utilities.
I also dispute average salaries being comparable, they're not. Not in my experience.
When I was looking for work in Canada most jobs were lucky to offer 40k in my line of work. Here I earn that in pounds.
I also remember how hard it was to land jobs in Canada, it's far easier here.

Hi David,

I would have to disagree with your analysis. I am a Canadian (from Vancouver) living in the SouthEast of England. My salary and my husbands salary is pretty much identical to what we would be earning in Vancouver
30K GBP or 60K CAD.each. I am a teacher and he is in IT. Generally, having spoke to friends in both countries I would say Vancouver salaries are similiar to those of the South East of England (not to London). I do question where David got his salaries from. The salaries across Canada vary greatly depending upon where you are.

My husband and I are earning the same salary as we would in Vancouver, however our costs are much higher in England than in Vancouver. Needless to say we will be returning to Vancouver shortly. To me it really depends upon the types of goods that you consume and also the type of job you do. I don't drink, but I definately enjoy eating out and doing outdoor activities. Consequently Britian is much more expensive for me. However, it has become significantly cheaper now that the Pound has fallen approximately 20 percent against the Canadian Dollar. Here is a slighly different perspective on the cost of living in the two countries.

Gas (89p UK, 89cents Vancouver)
Car Insurance (569 Pounds (including TAX), 1400 (including TAX))
Eating Out (15 pounds per head, $15 per head)
Groceries and clothing (almost identical)
Latte (2.20 pounds, $3.25)
Movies (7 pounds per head, $10.95 Silvercity Metrotown)
Rent (1 bedroom not in the centre (600 Pounds (subsidized as I am a key worker-including council tax and bill) $650 all bills(not subsidized as key workers are paid decently)
Gym (26 pounds per month (1 year contract), $33.00 (month to month))
Airfare (550 pounds to Vancouver (Summer with Zoom), $870.00 (Summer with Zoom))
Housing - Vancouver is definately cheaper than the South East of England.

Daycare (700 pounds, $750)

Things that are cheaper in the UK (USED cars, local flights to Europe as compared to the USA and vitamins and beer)

Things that are very expensive in the UK (housing, transport, eating out and outdoor or sporting activities)

Just my thoughts
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

DavidWright will become famous soon enoughDavidWright will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

I lived on Thurlow and Haro. It was a one bedroom and den including heat (650 square feet), hotwater and cable. I paid $630.00 (I am not kidding you - It was an older building). Just to note, many of my friends have recently found decent but older one bedrooms on Commercial Drive, and the suburbs for $650.00. You do need to search for it in Vancouver, however their a dime a dozen in the suburbs. I know the city quite well so I know where to shop.

In England I live at least a 20 minute walk to town (a town that is 50 minutes by train to London). I pay 600.00 pounds per month (That is including the subsidies) if I include council tax, heat, water and electrics. Also my apartment is approximately 490 square feet and by Canadian Standards a shoe box.
I'm sorry but I really don't believe you.
Firstly $630 is VERY cheap for an apartment in Vancouver.
Secondly you can get apartments way cheaper than 600GBP a month, especially that far from London. You can get them for 400 a month places like Luton and Slough.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidWright
Secondly you can get apartments way cheaper than 600GBP a month, especially that far from London. You can get them for 400 a month places like Luton and Slough.
Come friendly bombs......

it's a sad defence of England that rests upon places like Luton and Slough.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

You can get them for 400 a month places like Luton and Slough.
And with good reason! Wouldnt that be like comparing rents in ...I forget the name of the place "near" vancouver that stinks of pigs...Abbotsford?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:29 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry David, if only life was as simple as that!
Just because you personally dont believe something doesnt make it untrue.

I wont comment on those towns because its been done for me!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Come friendly bombs......

it's a sad defence of England that rests upon places like Luton and Slough.
All I'm saying is, you CAN get apartments cheaper than 600 if you wish, you'll just have to go to Luton or Slough to get them.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:54 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

You're not calling Julie a Liar are you
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Hi David,

I must confess that I am surprised that I am even replying to your messages. I guess this illustrates the lack of activities available in the UK. (At least the BritishExpat site is free).

Anyways, I am being completely truthful about the rent. I would agree that in downtown Vancouver it would be difficult to find an apartment for $630.00, but it can be done. The apartment that I rented was at 1104 Haro street. Now it looked awful from the outside but if you were willing to give it a bit of paint and some nice curtain/blinds it looked good in. It was a block from Robson Street and about 8 blocks from the beach. Now if you are saying the you cannot find a bachelor apartment under $900.00 that must mean that you are only looking a very new buildings. Just last spring I saw two older, but nice buildings advertising 1 bedrooms for $800. These apartments were less than one block from Stanley Park. I will note however that the cheap apartments almost never advertise in the Vancouver Sun or use an agent. When I want to rent in Downtown, Commercial Drive, or the West Side I always just walk about and look out for advertisements. When we left our apartment on Haro the manager put out a sign and it was rented within a couple of hours. I also have a friend that just rented out an apartment on Commercial Drive for $650 inclusive. Now she thought that she was getting a deal as most were advertised for $700.

With regards to salary it really depends upon what you do. Many jobs such as police, teachers, nurses, engineers (I would disagree with your salary numbers) earn similar salaries as Vancouver (aside from London). Some people, like teachers earn more in their later years in Canada should they have the right amount of education. Now I don't know what you do, but definately some jobs pay a lot higher in the UK (especially jobs in the city - accountants etc) but not all. Furthermore, maybe it is because you haven't lived in Vancouver recently (Please don't bite my head of if you have). The minimum wage is $8.00 per hour and the unemployment rate is about 5%. If you are a tradesperson you can do very very well there at the moment.

Eve

Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi David,

I live about a twenty minute walk from Tunbridge Wells, an expensive part of the SouthEast of England. I am very lucky as I have managed to get a subsidized apartment - Only teachers (mainly foreign) are allowed to live in my building.

Although it is pretty it is in no comparison to Downtown Vancouver.

Eve

Hi David,

I must confess that I am surprised that I am even replying to your messages. I guess this illustrates the lack of activities available in the UK. (At least the BritishExpat site is free).

Anyways, I am being completely truthful about the rent. I would agree that in downtown Vancouver it would be difficult to find an apartment for $630.00, but it can be done. The apartment that I rented was at 1104 Haro street. Now it looked awful from the outside but if you were willing to give it a bit of paint and some nice curtain/blinds it looked good in. It was a block from Robson Street and about 8 blocks from the beach. Now if you are saying the you cannot find a bachelor apartment under $900.00 that must mean that you are only looking a very new buildings. Just last spring I saw two older, but nice buildings advertising 1 bedrooms for $800. These apartments were less than one block from Stanley Park. I will note however that the cheap apartments almost never advertise in the Vancouver Sun or use an agent. When I want to rent in Downtown, Commercial Drive, or the West Side I always just walk about and look out for advertisements. When we left our apartment on Haro the manager put out a sign and it was rented within a couple of hours. I also have a friend that just rented out an apartment on Commercial Drive for $650 inclusive. Now she thought that she was getting a deal as most were advertised for $700.

With regards to salary it really depends upon what you do. Many jobs such as police, teachers, nurses, engineers (I would disagree with your salary numbers) earn similar salaries as Vancouver (aside from London). Some people, like teachers earn more in their later years in Canada should they have the right amount of education. Now I don't know what you do, but definately some jobs pay a lot higher in the UK (especially jobs in the city - accountants etc) but not all. Furthermore, maybe it is because you haven't lived in Vancouver recently (Please don't bite my head of if you have). The minimum wage is $8.00 per hour and the unemployment rate is about 5%. If you are a tradesperson you can do very very well there at the moment.

Eve