Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living, Canada Vs UK

Cost of Living, Canada Vs UK

Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living, Canada Vs UK

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Maybe not Iain but the reply by Posidrive inferred that he probably had
Posidrive was an itercompany transfer. No need to meet the financial requirements of SW that way I believe. More to life than SW, doesnt pay to assume to much.

Dont think it was posidrives comment anyway? Either way, there are lots of ways in with debt, including skilled worker if someone will loan the funds on the QT and CIC dont know about it. Questions about coming here to escape UK debt come up from time to time here, so people must be doing it?

Last edited by iaink; Jan 9th 2006 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:21 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Rich you have some great one liners
Maybe lots of applicants think Canada is La- La Land and that's what's clogging up the processing
OH Bloody hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought Canada was Tinky Winky land!!!!
Does this mean I've got to start looking again??
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

work sponsored visas dont need 'funds' nor do they check from what we have been told
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:33 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe lots of applicants think Canada is La- La Land and that's what's clogging up the processing
Po - busy mixing up the PR applications in the basement of Grosvenor House
Dipsy - off with long term stress
Laa Laa - on maternity leave
Tinky Winky - paper shuffling between three spare unoccupied desks on the top floor

CIC Teletubbies - say eh-oh !

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Cost of Living, Canada Vs UK-1everyone.jpg  
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Posidrive was an itercompany transfer. No need to meet the financial requirements of SW that way I believe. More to life than SW, doesnt pay to assume to much.
It was not a true intercompany transfer since I was a contract employee in the UK and have become a staff employee in the now renamed La La Land. Arrived on a work permit and am now applying for PR through the Alberta PNP.

Quite right though. If you arrive here upon the basis that you have arranged employment such as either a work permit via an HRSDC approved job offer, or as an inter company transfer then you don't need proof of funds. Sensible really, since you will be supporting yourself.

Makes me think. Will I need proof of funds when I eventually get PR and formally land? Or this another loophole such as not needing all the formal goods to follow paperwork when you arrive on a work permit.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:12 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Makes me think. Will I need proof of funds when I eventually get PR and formally land? Or this another loophole such as not needing all the formal goods to follow paperwork when you arrive on a work permit.
IIRC you don't need proof of funds to support yourself, as you are already here and you have a job...

That's good for me as I'm about $9k short of my proof of funds. Too much
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
I did,in the previous millenium, but I read here somewhere that its not required now for work permit "conversion". Dont know for sure though, its a good question!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by love_it_here
Not everyone comes to canada with the equity of their UK home. We came with debt! It took us two years to save up the 5% we needed to buy a home here.

We have a $300K mortgage, which costs us about $1650 a month to finance.

See not everyone is mortgage free but still we came!
That's very interesting. If I ever move to Canada, I would imagine selling the house, paying off the mortgage and any debt, and at the end of that I should be debt free (fingers crossed). There may only be 5 pence left at the end, but 5 pence in credit.

1) How did you manage the debt when in Canada, was it just sending money back to a UK account?

2) 5% deposit on a home? I think I read somewhere (I think the canilink site) that deposits in Canada were 25%?

Cheers

Chris
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by chrisparr

2) 5% deposit on a home? I think I read somewhere (I think the canilink site) that deposits in Canada were 25%?
You can get 5% down morgages here if you want, but below 25% down you have to get morgage insurance.

If you dont have a canadian credit history however and you are looking for a mortgage then 25% down might be required to entice a lender, but if youve been here a while and build your credit rating the only incentive to put a big deposit down is to minimise the mandatory CMHC home mortgage insurance premiums on your mortgage.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 9th 2006 at 9:12 pm. Reason: 5% minimum?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
You can get zero down morgages here if you want. If you dont have a canadian credit history however and you are looking for a mortggage then 25% down might be required to entice a lender, but if youve been here a while and build your credit rating the only incentive to put a big deposit down is to minimise the mandatory CMHC home mortgage insurance premiums on your mortgage.
Ah, it's clear now.

Cheers

Chris
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Hi David,

I would have to disagree with your analysis. I am a Canadian (from Vancouver) living in the SouthEast of England. My salary and my husbands salary is pretty much identical to what we would be earning in Vancouver
30K GBP or 60K CAD.each. I am a teacher and he is in IT. Generally, having spoke to friends in both countries I would say Vancouver salaries are similiar to those of the South East of England (not to London). I do question where David got his salaries from. The salaries across Canada vary greatly depending upon where you are.

My husband and I are earning the same salary as we would in Vancouver, however our costs are much higher in England than in Vancouver. Needless to say we will be returning to Vancouver shortly. To me it really depends upon the types of goods that you consume and also the type of job you do. I don't drink, but I definately enjoy eating out and doing outdoor activities. Consequently Britian is much more expensive for me. However, it has become significantly cheaper now that the Pound has fallen approximately 20 percent against the Canadian Dollar. Here is a slighly different perspective on the cost of living in the two countries.

Gas (89p UK, 89cents Vancouver)
Car Insurance (569 Pounds (including TAX), 1400 (including TAX))
Eating Out (15 pounds per head, $15 per head)
Groceries and clothing (almost identical)
Latte (2.20 pounds, $3.25)
Movies (7 pounds per head, $10.95 Silvercity Metrotown)
Rent (1 bedroom not in the centre (600 Pounds (subsidized as I am a key worker-including council tax and bill) $650 all bills(not subsidized as key workers are paid decently)
Gym (26 pounds per month (1 year contract), $33.00 (month to month))
Airfare (550 pounds to Vancouver (Summer with Zoom), $870.00 (Summer with Zoom))
Housing - Vancouver is definately cheaper than the South East of England.

Daycare (700 pounds, $750)

Things that are cheaper in the UK (USED cars, local flights to Europe as compared to the USA and vitamins and beer)

Things that are very expensive in the UK (housing, transport, eating out and outdoor or sporting activities)

Just my thoughts
Originally Posted by DavidWright
As a Canadian living in the UK since 2000, I find the cost of living
to be a lot cheaper here than in Canada with one
exception.... property.

Most things seem to cost double in Canadian dollars what you'd pay in British pounds....
Night out with meal, wine and drinks afterwards...
100 pound versus 200 dollars.
Theatre Tickets 25 pound versus 50 dollars
Cinema tickets 6 pound versus 12 dollars
Weekly food shop for 2 people 60 pound versus 120 dollars
Pint of beer 3 pound versus 6 dollars

Wages however do not reflect this....

UK minimum wage approx 4.80 versus Canadian minimum wage of 7.25
UK police officer start salary 21k versus Canadian 33k
UK Civil Engineer av. 43k versus Canadian 60k

Certainly, if it wasn't for the high cost of my mortgage I think I'd be much better off financially in Britain.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

This maybe a daft question but how did you get past the proof of funds stage if you had debt, that is if you went on a Skilled Worker App.
We came on a work permit and applied for PR once we were here. In the meantime we saved up some cash. It was ages ago but as I recall you only need to prove you have funds to live on and as my husband was coming to a good job it wasn't such an issue.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Ian Wallis is an unknown quantity at this point

The cost of living is cheaper in Canada than UK - despite the recent rises in the Canadian Dollar.

There is an annual survey done by a Company called Mercer that shows the London COL as over 100 and Canadian cities down in low 70's.

New cars are considerably cheaper in Can - as are eating out (where are you paying $200 in Canada???), petrol ("gas" - UK pays £0.9 gallon), Starbucks UK £2.19 large coffee, property (though your property taxes are higher), electrical goods (strangely you do not seem to have the latest versions.....), CDs......
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:18 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian Wallis
The cost of living is cheaper in Canada than UK - despite the recent rises in the Canadian Dollar.

There is an annual survey done by a Company called Mercer that shows the London COL as over 100 and Canadian cities down in low 70's.

New cars are considerably cheaper in Can - as are eating out (where are you paying $200 in Canada???), petrol ("gas" - UK pays £0.9 gallon), Starbucks UK £2.19 large coffee, property (though your property taxes are higher), electrical goods (strangely you do not seem to have the latest versions.....), CDs......
Ian,

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I have to disagree on some of the areas quoted. When being paid in canadian dollars Electrical goods will NOT appear any cheaper, CDs (as far as I've seen) are more expensive, and as for new cars ONLY if you shop around and 'screw' the dealer.

Just my observations.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian Wallis
New cars are considerably cheaper in Can - as are eating out (where are you paying $200 in Canada???)
$100 a person doesn't seem a lot for dinner out in Toronto. If it's $200 each, well, yes, that's quite a lot but we usually spend 100+ each at the Cafe Brussel, La Maquette, Starfish, any place of that standard. We reckon $60 a head even at the, fabulous bargain, Tulip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.