Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canada?

Cost of living in Canada?

Old May 27th 2012, 7:03 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Cost of living in Canada?

Hi Everyone, did a forum search for this and couldn't find any other threads so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere

I just wondered the average cost of general items such as milk, bread, etc and electric, gas, cable etc.

I had asked my sister who lives in Vancouver but she just said stuffs about x amount and didn't really provide much scope.

I would like to get an overview between any salary difference and cost of living to give me an idea of what money I would need to budget for when moving to Canada.

Thanks in advance for your time

Mike
Old May 27th 2012, 7:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canada?

There are loads and loads of thread on the cost of living in Canada, as well as a Wiki article, so maybe have another hunt?

But as a general rule, the cost of living in Canada is about the same as in the UK - some things cheaper, some more expensive, so it tends to even out for most people.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:07 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are loads and loads of thread on the cost of living in Canada, as well as a Wiki article, so maybe have another hunt?

But as a general rule, the cost of living in Canada is about the same as in the UK - some things cheaper, some more expensive, so it tends to even out for most people.
Thanks for the info, I did a search but it seemed to bring everything and anything up
Old May 27th 2012, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Thanks for the info, I did a search but it seemed to bring everything and anything up
Make sure you're using quotes i.e. "cost of living" rather than just cost of living, which will bring up every thread with those three words in!

And make sure you search the main Canada forum only (I've only just realised this is in the wrong part of the forum, the immigration section is only for visa/legal type stuff).

If in doubt, read the link in my signature and the FAQ, which have guides on how to search.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Make sure you're using quotes i.e. "cost of living" rather than just cost of living, which will bring up every thread with those three words in!

And make sure you search the main Canada forum only (I've only just realised this is in the wrong part of the forum, the immigration section is only for visa/legal type stuff).

If in doubt, read the link in my signature and the FAQ, which have guides on how to search.
Opps sorry about that
Old May 27th 2012, 7:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Opps sorry about that
No probs at all, but just wanted to explain why you'll be getting lots of pointless results in the search, if you keep it to the main Canada forum that's where all the general/life in Canada type stuff is so you should find more relevant info.

Old May 27th 2012, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

A difficult one to put a finger on, but I think the cost of living is generally higher here.
Old May 27th 2012, 8:23 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

A lot will depend on where you want to live, in a city,the middle of nowhere,west,east I'm guessing west if you have sister in Vancouver
Old May 27th 2012, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
A lot will depend on where you want to live, in a city,the middle of nowhere,west,east I'm guessing west if you have sister in Vancouver
I was thinking Vancouver or outskirts such as Richmond or Surrey
Old May 27th 2012, 8:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking Vancouver or outskirts such as Richmond or Surrey
www.realtor.ca : have a gander and weep.
Old May 27th 2012, 8:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
A difficult one to put a finger on, but I think the cost of living is generally higher here.
If using a 1.58 factor it could well be now, back in the day of $2.25 it was not. Still lots of stuff cheaper than the UK though. My daughter just bought some UK CDs on Amazon.ca, cheaper than .co.uk and .com.

However if one makes an immigration decision based on the cost of living, maybe immigration is not the right move. Can't say I ever gave it a thought when I moved. I decided I wanted to move, so I did.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
If using a 1.58 factor it could well be now, back in the day of $2.25 it was not. Still lots of stuff cheaper than the UK though. My daughter just bought some UK CDs on Amazon.ca, cheaper than .co.uk and .com.

However if one makes an immigration decision based on the cost of living, maybe immigration is not the right move. Can't say I ever gave it a thought when I moved. I decided I wanted to move, so I did.
Me too. I just know that if I was earning my UK salary here we'd have gone back a LONG time ago.
Which reminds me, I saw an advertisement on TV yesterday from the UK, trying to get people in to teaching. The hook was that could be earning £22k. £22k! And that's supposed to be the hook. That's approx $35k. In which Canadian cities could you live on that?
Old May 27th 2012, 9:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Me too. I just know that if I was earning my UK salary here we'd have gone back a LONG time ago.
Which reminds me, I saw an advertisement on TV yesterday from the UK, trying to get people in to teaching. The hook was that could be earning £22k. £22k! And that's supposed to be the hook. That's approx $35k. In which Canadian cities could you live on that?
Moncton.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator

Im not basing my decision on the cost of living, but I felt it best to work out the lie of land so to speak
Old May 27th 2012, 10:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Moncton.
$35k eh? That'd be like a lottery win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.