Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living

Cost of Living

Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Kash100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living

Hi All, my brother just got his Canadian PR card and is planning to go there from the US soon. I'm curious to know what the approximate cost of living is say in Toronto and Vancouver. He has almost US $60,000 in savings and I wanted to know how long can he live comfortably (decent apartment, neighbourhood, vehicle and food etc.) with his savings till he gets his dream job. Let's say he won't take any odd job till he finds what he's looking for.

Thank you for your input.

Kash100
Old Mar 25th 2004, 6:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living

Originally posted by Kash100
Hi All, my brother just got his Canadian PR card and is planning to go there from the US soon. I'm curious to know what the approximate cost of living is say in Toronto and Vancouver. He has almost US $60,000 in savings and I wanted to know how long can he live comfortably (decent apartment, neighbourhood, vehicle and food etc.) with his savings till he gets his dream job. Let's say he won't take any odd job till he finds what he's looking for.

Thank you for your input.

Kash100
There are a number of previous posts here regarding this, as well as addressing relative quality of life etc. There are also lots of websites comparing cost of living around the world as part of relocation information . I suggest you do a search here and through Google. Could also try stats canada, they have info from 2001 census listing average houshold incomes, property costs, rents etc. by region.

Everyones standards are different, as a ball park guess, about $50-60k CDN upwards, but you really have to cut your cloth to your circumstances. My advice would be dont live in a good apartment or drive a lexus if you havent landed that dream job yet, it may take a while, and when the $60k US is gone, its gone and the dream becomes a nightmare. You should be able to get by on $30kCDN, I am sure some newcomers are on less than that.

I would also suggest that he doesnt hold out for his dream job, but take anything he is offered at first, at least until he finds what he is looking for. Its a good way to meet people, and you never know here what may come out of that, plus it beats being stuck in your nice apartment wondering when your savings will run out.

Iain

Here are a couple of links for starters

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/cal...l?cid=homefair

http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/steccpi.html#compint
Old Mar 25th 2004, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kash100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks much. I was curious to know how long US $60K can really last if we go by the CIC requirement of CDN $12K/annum for financial proof.

Thanks again.

Kash100

Originally posted by iaink
There are a number of previous posts here regarding this, as well as addressing relative quality of life etc. There are also lots of websites comparing cost of living around the world as part of relocation information . I suggest you do a search here and through Google. Could also try stats canada, they have info from 2001 census listing average houshold incomes, property costs, rents etc. by region.

Everyones standards are different, as a ball park guess, about $50-60k CDN upwards, but you really have to cut your cloth to your circumstances. My advice would be dont live in a good apartment or drive a lexus if you havent landed that dream job yet, it may take a while, and when the $60k US is gone, its gone and the dream becomes a nightmare. You should be able to get by on $30kCDN, I am sure some newcomers are on less than that.

I would also suggest that he doesnt hold out for his dream job, but take anything he is offered at first, at least until he finds what he is looking for. Its a good way to meet people, and you never know here what may come out of that, plus it beats being stuck in your nice apartment wondering when your savings will run out.

Iain

Here are a couple of links for starters

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/cal...l?cid=homefair

http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/steccpi.html#compint
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks much. I was curious to know how long US $60K can really last if we go by the CIC requirement of CDN $12K/annum for financial proof.

Thanks again.

Kash100
My Canadian sister lives in Guelph, Ontario a little ways from Toronto. She has just struck out on her own with 2 young boys. She seems to think she can manage on CAD1800-1900 a month including rental of her apartment approx $800 a month. She also runs a car.

Personally, I don't know how she can do it but then I've lived in England this last 24 years.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

It might be just me, but isn't that a waste of money?
If he has that much money in savings, wouldn't it be better to take a lower paid job (any job?) and invest the lump sum in shares or something?

It seems silly to me living off your hard earned savings. What a waste.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.

Kash100
A couple of other things which might help. My sister rents a 2-bedroom apartment in Guelph. As she only moved in 7 weeks ago I've not yet seen it. It's her food bill that she says she's having problems with.

My Dad rents a basic 1-bedroom apartment in North York (one of the better areas of Toronto). His block is pretty old but well-kept and therefore not full of mod cons (at least by my standard). His rent is approx $1000. per month.

Hope this helps.