Reload this Page >

Coping with the weather

Coping with the weather

Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

sparkyand21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coping with the weather

Hi,

We are planning our move to Winnipeg for April this year, this is for a number of reasons including shipping a dog and flight restrictions!

One of the things that is on our mind is coping with the extremities of weather. Whilst we are both English and have experienced British winters we are aware that this will very much equate to dipping in our toe when it comes to the -22 and less temperatures in Winnipeg during winter.

At least going in April will mean missing the worst of the winter this year.

I was wondering if anyone can give any tips on coping and preparing for winter?

We have two young girls (aged 4 years and 18 months) and a German Shepherd to settle in.

What clothes are a must? Any particular stores (I was taken with MEC when I was over in August)? Anything to consider when buying a car? Generally navigating on a daily basis around the city? etc.

Thanks for any help.

John
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Coping with the weather

Apologies I now wonder if I should have posted this into the Maple Leaf forum?

If I should, could some kind moderator please move it as I don't seem to be able to!

Thanks,

John
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkyand21
Apologies I now wonder if I should have posted this into the Maple Leaf forum?

If I should, could some kind moderator please move it as I don't seem to be able to!

Thanks,

John
Had already done it! But TML isn't the right place either, that's for off topic chat. Any 'life in Canada' type questions should be posted here in the main Camada forum.

If in doubt, read the 'Newcomers' sticky thread (link in my signature) which includes info on what part of the forum is for what.

HTH.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Oh dear, I am having a bad day in the office! Thanks for correcting me, I hadn't considered the main forum !

Will re-read the sticky thread.

John
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

just don't stress yourselve out and listen to Winnipegers? . You can buy the right clothes in pretty much any clothing store..it doesn't have to be MEC (although I admit, nice stuff there) ..as there are cheaper options.
Arriving in April means winterclothing is probably on sale..good timing to stock up. And btw.. -22 C won't feel as cold as it would in the UK, it's a way dryer cold and when the sun is shining it's just gorgeous (with wind..it can get ugly) .

a car? a fuel efficient one? Nope, especially in the city, you don't need a big 4x4 ....even though it seems to be the dream of lot of ppl..
A good pair of winter tires is suggested though...once snow starts to fall.

Watch the locals ..talk to them and learn...

Originally Posted by sparkyand21
Hi,

We are planning our move to Winnipeg for April this year, this is for a number of reasons including shipping a dog
and flight restrictions!

One of the things that is on our mind is coping with the extremities of weather. Whilst we are both English and have experienced British winters we are aware that this will very much equate to dipping in our toe when it comes to the -22 and less temperatures in Winnipeg during winter.

At least going in April will mean missing the worst of the winter this year.

I was wondering if anyone can give any tips on coping and preparing for winter?

We have two young girls (aged 4 years and 18 months) and a German Shepherd to settle in.

What clothes are a must? Any particular stores (I was taken with MEC when I was over in August)? Anything to consider when buying a car? Generally navigating on a daily basis around the city? etc.

Thanks for any help.

John
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

we are in Ottawa and had -30 with the wind chill - 40 for the best part of last week. I got my jacket at Canadian tire a couple years ago and it kept me warm. The girls have good snowsuits (columbia / etirel / etc.) you can get them reduced in April in Sport check or any other sport shop, that's when we "stock" up for the next winter lol. You defo need proper winter boots. Best a Canadian made brand like Sorel, Kamik or Cougar. I got them all fleece hats that have a velcro strap under the chin and cover most of their little faces ( I got them at Old Navy or the children's place). Winter tires and a block heater for the car. We drive a Dodge Grand Caravan and it never let us down even with the extreme temps. Winnipeg will have more of the extreme cold days as Ottawa does get some "warmer" (= -8/-12) days in between the very cold to recover lol. The locals will know where to get what don't worry. The cold is not that bad as long as you are dressed warm.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:59 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Layering is the key. For the really cold days you want long underwear - think sexy thermals lol. For anything upto -20 no windchill, layers wont be necessary unless your hanging around outside. Fleece layers also help retain heat without getting wet.

For outerwear down is the warmest per weight ratio than any other filling. Look for 800 fill power for really light weight stuff, I would also say check weather ratings and dont buy anything less than -17 rating. Fibrefill isn't temperature rated, dunno why.

Get sjow suitsnfornthe kids sears or walmart stuff should be fine, kids in school in my bit of canada anyway are expected to be able to stay outside until it hits-21.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Here the kids stay outside until we get around - 15 without wind chill. Warmth wise I agree Canadian Tire, Walmart or Loblaws is just fine. Especially for adult jackets, unless you want to go skiing etc. What I find is the brand snowsuits like Columbia have features that come in handy. Like the inside fleece up to the neck. The higher and tighter closure around the neck. The Columbia snowpants have the fleece on the top half of the pants so the kidneys are kept warm and the shirts can't wriggle out.
Our 15 month old has a Loblaws snowsuit and is snug and warm the other 2 (4 and 3) have Etirel ones as they are more active, toboganning, skating and rolling in the snow. And I agree fleece is great!
I check the temp ratings. The kids' snow boots have a - 40 rating! I love Kamik as they come with the fleece inside shoe. So when it does get wet you can take it out and dry it. If you want to hand it down to the next child just buy a new inside fleece, that's much cheaper than new boots. They are made in Canada but so are Cougar and Sorel.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 12:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Here the kids stay outside until we get around - 15 without wind chill. Warmth wise I agree Canadian Tire, Walmart or Loblaws is just fine. Especially for adult jackets, unless you want to go skiing etc. What I find is the brand snowsuits like Columbia have features that come in handy. Like the inside fleece up to the neck. The higher and tighter closure around the neck. The Columbia snowpants have the fleece on the top half of the pants so the kidneys are kept warm and the shirts can't wriggle out.
Our 15 month old has a Loblaws snowsuit and is snug and warm the other 2 (4 and 3) have Etirel ones as they are more active, toboganning, skating and rolling in the snow. And I agree fleece is great!
I check the temp ratings. The kids' snow boots have a - 40 rating! I love Kamik as they come with the fleece inside shoe. So when it does get wet you can take it out and dry it. If you want to hand it down to the next child just buy a new inside fleece, that's much cheaper than new boots. They are made in Canada but so are Cougar and Sorel.
Sorel are made in China. I expect the competing brands are too.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 12:56 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

As your moving in April i would be more worried about mosquito season than winter!!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sorel are made in China. I expect the competing brands are too.
No Kamik is definitely made in Canada and I am pretty sure Cougar is, too. That's why I assumed Sorel would be, too.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:22 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Four snuggles and stay home till June.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Just focus on the car. Plenty of time to buy winter clothes once you have had a chance to speak and see fellow Winnipegers. It's a hotbed of fashion you know!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
No Kamik is definitely made in Canada and I am pretty sure Cougar is, too. That's why I assumed Sorel would be, too.
Kamik's website doesn't explicitly say so but, yes, it seems likely. Cougar's website is gobsmackingly awful, I suppose they might be a BC company as it has that desperately hip David Suzukish look to it, I couldn't stave off a headache long enough to read the text.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Kamik's website doesn't explicitly say so but, yes, it seems likely. Cougar's website is gobsmackingly awful, I suppose they might be a BC company as it has that desperately hip David Suzukish look to it, I couldn't stave off a headache long enough to read the text.
I have the cardboard box where the boots came in at home (store them in it during the summer) and it says it on the Kamik box/label and I am pretty sure it said it on the Cougar one, too.
I've no clue how the website looks like but I think I'll give it a miss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.