Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coordinating the big move!

Coordinating the big move!

Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:11 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute
Question Coordinating the big move!

Just a bit of a nosey question really! With all these passport requests recently it got me thinking about how the heck you actually sort everything out when its time to go!

I can't get past when the house sells here shall we just go, or rent for a while or stay with mum and dad for a few weeks?

So how did you or how do you plan to sort everything out?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:47 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coordinating the big move!

OH had already left for Canada, we shipped our belongings and the children and I moved in with the outlaws for the last couple of months. Personally I found this a good option as it meant one more thing crossed off the list, only problem was making sure that I did not ship something I would need, so that was another list!

Lots of lists is the way to go, I had lists pointing me in the direction of other lists.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Depart...K_to_Canada%29

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Arrival_To_Do_List-Canada
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:01 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Your list making made me lol, thats just like me
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Falcore
Your list making made me lol, thats just like me
I also made a file to carry on with me which I called my bible - had all my important documents in
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:15 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I also made a file to carry on with me which I called my bible - had all my important documents in
Ours was called the magic purple folder.....
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are at precisely that scary stage at the moment. I will be making lists....when the panic subsides a bit My biggest worries are the timing of everything. We are provisionally aiming to go in July this year.

We need to sell our house, when do we put it on the market? Don't want to do it too soon and find a buyer straight away. Moving out and into rented is not an option for us. My eldest son is due to start his GCSE's a year early and I do not want that upheaval. Also we have a dog....most rented dont like pets, we have a smaller mortgage payment than rent would cost us and if we rented...a lot of furniture would have to go into storage...more cost and inconvenience. So we are looking for a buyer prepared to wait.......until we test the water...we won't know.

Then there is the How to get there, should we book a Transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2 or fly. Gotta take the dog...but the ship kennels are full for the sailings we are looking at...so she would have to go on a waiting list. Flying is not without its problems...a lot of carriers wont fly pets during summer...so cargo.

We are having a house built in Canada....so there is the worry of that while we are not there, although we do have friends in the area who will send us updates...and a good Realtor friend...who will oversee it all.

Then there is the financial side of things.....due to the sliding $ rate and how the recession has bitten all of us in the bum....won't have as much of a comfort zone....before we need jobs.....so that is a major thing for us....finding jobs straight away.

I could go on.....but thank you for listening.....ask me in a year...how it all went....when we have come out the other side.

Yep...lots going on in this tired mind of mine.....usually through the middle of the night......hubby sleeping like a baby.....typical.

Panicking? WHO ME? You'd better believe it. But I do think what I am feeling is NORMAL!
lol
Stef
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I have my 'Bible' now BB so thanks for that tip!! Naturally it is bright pink....no chance of mislaying it because it is like a beacon
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:47 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Its the dog thing thats giving me a headache too. Mum and Dad have offered to look after her for a month or so whilst we find a house and get settled. But i'm not sure if that will stress her out more than just sending her straight away!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:12 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

It is difficult - we sold so packed up house a month before me and kids left. Moved into my parents -with the dogs. Hubby went the next week then me kids, dogs and my parents all went on same flight - by then Hubby had got the rental from hell vageuly liveable. Parents stayed for a month to help us all get sorted!

and yes you need the bible - or the brain as we refferred to it - plus extra copies of certificates etc copied and kept in other places in case you lose anything!

Keep copie of all the dogs stuff with you in case the handlers lose the ones attached to the dogs crates on route = otherwise its quarrantine for the hounds!!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:49 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
It is difficult - we sold so packed up house a month before me and kids left. Moved into my parents -with the dogs. Hubby went the next week then me kids, dogs and my parents all went on same flight - by then Hubby had got the rental from hell vageuly liveable. Parents stayed for a month to help us all get sorted!

and yes you need the bible - or the brain as we refferred to it - plus extra copies of certificates etc copied and kept in other places in case you lose anything!

Keep copie of all the dogs stuff with you in case the handlers lose the ones attached to the dogs crates on route = otherwise its quarrantine for the hounds!!
I'm another advocate for 'The file'. I still have mine and continue to keep really important things in it.

After X amount of time of it never leaving your sight whilst planning to move here, it becomes your way of life
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Falcore
Just a bit of a nosey question really! With all these passport requests recently it got me thinking about how the heck you actually sort everything out when its time to go!

I can't get past when the house sells here shall we just go, or rent for a while or stay with mum and dad for a few weeks?

So how did you or how do you plan to sort everything out?
I'm glad you asked this - have been wondering the same.

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi

We are at precisely that scary stage at the moment. I will be making lists....when the panic subsides a bit My biggest worries are the timing of everything. We are provisionally aiming to go in July this year.

We need to sell our house, when do we put it on the market? Don't want to do it too soon and find a buyer straight away. Moving out and into rented is not an option for us. My eldest son is due to start his GCSE's a year early and I do not want that upheaval. Also we have a dog....most rented dont like pets, we have a smaller mortgage payment than rent would cost us and if we rented...a lot of furniture would have to go into storage...more cost and inconvenience. So we are looking for a buyer prepared to wait.......until we test the water...we won't know.

Then there is the How to get there, should we book a Transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2 or fly. Gotta take the dog...but the ship kennels are full for the sailings we are looking at...so she would have to go on a waiting list. Flying is not without its problems...a lot of carriers wont fly pets during summer...so cargo.

We are having a house built in Canada....so there is the worry of that while we are not there, although we do have friends in the area who will send us updates...and a good Realtor friend...who will oversee it all.

Then there is the financial side of things.....due to the sliding $ rate and how the recession has bitten all of us in the bum....won't have as much of a comfort zone....before we need jobs.....so that is a major thing for us....finding jobs straight away.

I could go on.....but thank you for listening.....ask me in a year...how it all went....when we have come out the other side.

Yep...lots going on in this tired mind of mine.....usually through the middle of the night......hubby sleeping like a baby.....typical.

Panicking? WHO ME? You'd better believe it. But I do think what I am feeling is NORMAL!
lol
Stef
I am planning to move around the same time as you and think I'm going to put my house on the market in late February. It seems early but if you have a buyer who has their own property to sell - it could really drag things out.

Think we are just going to sell most big items and pack the rest of the things in a few boxes. If I sell a lot of stuff it will declutter the house and make it easier to sell - I hope.

If we did wind up selling way too early, I did think about buying a cheap caravan to live in, then reselling it before we move. I don't know if anyone else has done this and how it would work out.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

jenny28 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the early stages of preparing for the move. We have container coming for our stuff on Feb 18th and currently have boxes all over the house. Yes we too have a bible, quickly getting bigger and bigger. We move out of our currently rented house on Feb 19th (sold our house back in July last year) and in with my mum until we fly out march 7th.
We were planning to take our dog, however as it has taken so long for PR and sale of house she is that much older now, she will be staying with MIL. We plan to stay at a guest house when we arrive for 4 weeks or so until we can get ourselves sorted out.
Have a car lined up. I finished work last week. OH only finnishes two days prior to moving. Excitedly worried about everything now.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We will put it on the market now, but will not move out until Mid July.....so I just hope that we get a buyer fairly quickly who is prepared to wait till then, if they are not prepared to wait ...then they will just have to find another house to buy.
We are also not telling the estate agent that we are emigrating as he may pass that info to a prospective buyer and make out that we will take a pathetic offer as we are desperate. We have concocted a story that we are moving south to be nearer to family...and that we have a family home to move into....which is rented out until Mid July....so no upward chain.
Keeping fingers crossed it pans out.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal
I'm glad you asked this - have been wondering the same.

I am planning to move around the same time as you and think I'm going to put my house on the market in late February. It seems early but if you have a buyer who has their own property to sell - it could really drag things out.

Think we are just going to sell most big items and pack the rest of the things in a few boxes. If I sell a lot of stuff it will declutter the house and make it easier to sell - I hope.

If we did wind up selling way too early, I did think about buying a cheap caravan to live in, then reselling it before we move. I don't know if anyone else has done this and how it would work out.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread this

Lots of helpful advice, thank you
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
We are also not telling the estate agent that we are emigrating as he may pass that info to a prospective buyer and make out that we will take a pathetic offer as we are desperate.
Very good advice this - about 8 years ago when we looking to move we viewed a house where the owners were emigrating to the US - the estate agent told us how they had flights booked etc. & were panicking the house wouldn't be sold in time so they were getting really low offers. From this, we'll definitely not be mentioning that we're emigrating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.