Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Converting a UK Shotgun Licence?

Converting a UK Shotgun Licence?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

StCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant future
Question Converting a UK Shotgun Licence?

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help with this but my OH holds a shotgun licence in the UK and would like to transfer it to Canada.

Is this possible and if so who would we need to apply to?

If not would he need to pass a test in Canada to take out a new licence and can new PR's hold a shotgun licence or would he need to be a citizen?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

St Charles Girl.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:37 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting a UK Shotgun Licence?

I wouldn't have thought so, no reason to presume that they would allow such a thing.

This page gives some info on it http://www.firearmstraining.ca/licences.htm and it looks like you do need to pass an exam.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

StCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant futureStCharlesGirl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
I wouldn't have thought so, no reason to presume that they would allow such a thing.

This page gives some info on it http://www.firearmstraining.ca/licences.htm and it looks like you do need to pass an exam.
Thanks Ben W Bell, that site is really helpful. It looks like there may be a way of passing an exam as a 'foreigner' at this stage. I will look into it further.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

St Charles Girl.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:28 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StCharlesGirl
Thanks Ben W Bell, that site is really helpful. It looks like there may be a way of passing an exam as a 'foreigner' at this stage. I will look into it further.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

St Charles Girl.
You need to sit a test as well as pass a firearms safety course (we are in Alberta so not sure if this is provincial or federal) pactical and multipal choice, and you have to have a WIN # (wildlife ID number puchased in lots of stores).

You cannot transfer your UK licence although I think you will be able to bypass the firearms safety bit.

You MUST be a PR or citizen to hold a firearms licence - we were here on a work permit and were not allowed to sit the test.

Have a look at www.aheia.com
www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca

Last edited by louise033; Jun 19th 2007 at 5:31 am.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:36 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louise033
You need to sit a test as well as pass a firearms safety course (we are in Alberta so not sure if this is provincial or federal) practical and multiple choice.

Federal.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louise033
You need to sit a test as well as pass a firearms safety course (we are in Alberta so not sure if this is provincial or federal) pactical and multipal choice, and you have to have a WIN # (wildlife ID number puchased in lots of stores).

You cannot transfer your UK licence although I think you will be able to bypass the firearms safety bit.

You MUST be a PR or citizen to hold a firearms licence - we were here on a work permit and were not allowed to sit the test.

Have a look at www.aheia.com
www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca
Thank you the second link is more relevant to us (sorry I forgot to say we are heading for Ontario).

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

St Charles Girl.