Reload this Page >

Converting a UK class 1 HGV licence in Alberta

Converting a UK class 1 HGV licence in Alberta

Old May 2nd 2019, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

JHow16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting a UK class 1 HGV licence in Alberta

Hi,

​​​​​​I'm looking into the possibility of studying in Calgary, therefore my partner should be able to apply for an open work permit for the length of my study. In the UK he works as a lorry driver and holds his class 1 licence. I understand for class 1 in Canada he has to do an Air brakes test, is it as simple as just doing the air brakes test or does he have to retest completely and if its a case of retesting will he need to do a drivers training course before hand? Also, what sort of costs will be involved in getting his class 1 licence in Calgary?

Many thanks.
Old May 2nd 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting a UK class 1 HGV licence in Alberta

total retest ,your uk experience means next to nothing ,sad to say. its the Canadian way. cant comment about AB but many provinces have just changed the rules on getting a Class 1 with air licence and its not helpful for experienced hands coming into Canada.
Old May 2nd 2019, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you know, there was a terrible accident in Saskatchewan just over a year ago between a truck and bus carrying young minor hockey players (age 16 to ~20/21), 16 died and 13 were injured, some with life changing injuries.

The truck driver pleaded guilty, and has been sentenced to 8 years in prison, and will then be deported back to his home country (he was a PR).

As a result of that crash, there have been several studies, and the Federal Government and Provincial Governments are tightening up on training and regulation of truck drivers.

Also, do you and you partner realise that it is largely long-distance truck driving in Canada, and may involve into the US ............. even "local" or in province will be much longer distances than in the UK.
Old May 2nd 2019, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

found out from a friend its 113hrs training ,classroom,yrd,road ….plus you need to have passed the air brake exam/practicle, class1 written as well and not forgetting the post trip exam as well. this is in AB or so im told. BUT so saying I did a 6week course in MB 12yrs ago (after 25yrs wagon driving back in uk) ,so I learned the way /rules log book etc.

Last edited by jamesmc; May 2nd 2019 at 10:43 pm. Reason: never read his email correctly
Old May 3rd 2019, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
found out from a friend its 113hrs training ,classroom,yrd,road ….plus you need to have passed the air brake exam/practicle, class1 written as well and not forgetting the post trip exam as well. this is in AB or so im told. BUT so saying I did a 6week course in MB 12yrs ago (after 25yrs wagon driving back in uk) ,so I learned the way /rules log book etc.
James ............ the new regulations are all a result of that bus crash because the truck driver had had less than 3 weeks of training.

If you read about it ............ he was distracted because a tarp was flapping on his load. He'd stopped to fix it but it was still flapping, and he missed 4 stop signs while being distracted by it.

Old May 3rd 2019, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
Just so you know, there was a terrible accident in Saskatchewan just over a year ago between a truck and bus carrying young minor hockey players (age 16 to ~20/21), 16 died and 13 were injured, some with life changing injuries.

The truck driver pleaded guilty, and has been sentenced to 8 years in prison, and will then be deported back to his home country (he was a PR).

As a result of that crash, there have been several studies, and the Federal Government and Provincial Governments are tightening up on training and regulation of truck drivers.

Also, do you and you partner realise that it is largely long-distance truck driving in Canada, and may involve into the US ............. even "local" or in province will be much longer distances than in the UK.
I'm aware of that accident and aware that truck driving is largely long distance in Canada.

I'm just trying to find out if he would need to do more training over there and how much money the training is likely to cost. I've tried an internet search but don't seem to be able to find a definite answer.
Old May 3rd 2019, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamesmc
total retest ,your uk experience means next to nothing ,sad to say. its the Canadian way. cant comment about AB but many provinces have just changed the rules on getting a Class 1 with air licence and its not helpful for experienced hands coming into Canada.
Thank you, that's helpful. Do you happen to know much about the cost of training over there?
Old May 3rd 2019, 3:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JHow16
I'm aware of that accident and aware that truck driving is largely long distance in Canada.

I'm just trying to find out if he would need to do more training over there and how much money the training is likely to cost. I've tried an internet search but don't seem to be able to find a definite answer.
Google tells me between $5 & $10k: https://commercialdriverhq.com/class...-alberta-cost/
Old May 5th 2019, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

asked a friend so tae speak an he says 8k but you will get most of it back on your tax return ..I seem to think I did as well 60% seems to ring a bell. anyway my mate says should be able to get a deal on the training as the backside has fell out o the training market at the mo.

Last edited by jamesmc; May 5th 2019 at 12:49 am. Reason: cider fingers