Reload this Page >

IT contracts in Toronto area

IT contracts in Toronto area

Old May 14th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

polishvisitor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT contracts in Toronto area

Hello
I am planning to move to Ontario ASAP when I secure job, I am interested in finding contracts in SQL development/vb/SQL DBA. Currently I am in Dublin and sick and tired of it. How is the IT job market there? daily rates?
Thanks in advance
Old May 14th 2010, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of
Default Re: IT contracts in Toronto area

Originally Posted by polishvisitor
Hello
I am planning to move to Ontario ASAP when I secure job, I am interested in finding contracts in SQL development/vb/SQL DBA. Currently I am in Dublin and sick and tired of it. How is the IT job market there? daily rates?
Thanks in advance
www.workopolis.com is a good place to start.

Good luck!
Old May 14th 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for a hint, I thought that there are some IT guys who just found job in IT in Canada and can share more about daily contract rates and job market
Old May 14th 2010, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Thanks for a hint, I thought that there are some IT guys who just found job in IT in Canada and can share more about daily contract rates and job market
My hubby is in the IT industry, there are jobs out there right now. But it is a harder market to crack sometimes in Toronto area because of an initiative that was launched here about 10 years ago. The gov't had a "retraining" program in place for people on job seekers allowance and social. It paid people to retrain in hopes less people will be on gov't assistance. So everyone and his brother was paid to do their MCSE or their CCNA and just climbed from there. Not everyone made it but it flooded the industry for a while.

Good Luck tho. :-)
Old May 15th 2010, 1:21 am
ck1
Forum Regular

ck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura about

There are jobs but there are also a lot of IT pro's fighting for those jobs.

As far as big banks and insurance companies - the outsourced to the likes of IBM (so jobs were lost there), who then outsourced to their Indian branches (even more lost there)

I know an Oracle DBA's on contract for around $55 an hour and several mainframe/midrange techies who are on $40 an hour...not quite your skill set but gives you an idea...
Old May 15th 2010, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info, it does not sound very positive. Looks like situation and rates in London are far more better than in Canada. I am not sure what I am going to do in such case, maybe will come to toronto in june and see for myself and if it does not work start looking south of the border, US was always very good in rates and amount of IT jobs
Old May 15th 2010, 1:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing of the IT world directly but poster dbd33 is an IT pimp and IIRC from several threads on the subject, would tell you that rates and opportunities are less than those to be found in the UK. Hopefully he'll drop into this thread in due course.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good contracting jobs where I am (Woking/Guildford area), plenty of work out there for £300-400 a day.
Old May 15th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

RubberDuckofdeath
looks like regardless of plenty of jobs in UK you still moving to Canada, I lived in Canada and US ,moved to Europe for a while but I know it is not for me, little scared about job prospects in Canada, I know in UK there is a lot of IT jobs and well paid, just do not see myself living on tiny overcrowded island with high living expenses and miserable weather,but I am not english, dont get me wrong I still think UK is great place with great people just not my taste for longer run
Old May 15th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

RubberDuckofdeath
looks like regardless of plenty of jobs in UK you still moving to Canada, I lived in Canada and US ,moved to Europe for a while but I know it is not for me, little scared about job prospects in Canada, I know in UK there is a lot of IT jobs and well paid, just do not see myself living on tiny overcrowded island with high living expenses and miserable weather,but I am not english, dont get me wrong I still think UK is great place with great people just not my taste for longer run
the irony of an immigrant complaining about the UK / Ireland being overcrowded

I like you don't want to be here long term, it doesn't suit me either.
Old May 16th 2010, 2:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I know nothing of the IT world directly but poster dbd33 is an IT pimp and IIRC from several threads on the subject, would tell you that rates and opportunities are less than those to be found in the UK. Hopefully he'll drop into this thread in due course.
Well yes, generally rates in Toronto are, in dollars, a bit less than they are in pounds in London. Two years ago 38 bucks an hour looked a lot less than 40 pounds. The gap doesn't seem so large just now. What's gone away in Toronto is the contracts for nothing jobs, say PL/SQL programming, the sorts of things that can be done by a body shop, er, overseas development associate. There are still contracts for niche expertise but you've either got to have something few people have (fluent English and Informatica would be a combination this week) or very good contacts, good enough that you'll get the contract regardless of expertise.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: IT contracts in Toronto area

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
the irony of an immigrant complaining about the UK / Ireland being overcrowded

I like you don't want to be here long term, it doesn't suit me either.
RubberDuckofDeath
I was never immigrant in Ireland just a guest worker taking opportunity to earn decent salary and see europe, I never lived and wanted to live in UK and never lived there, I am not dumb or desperate to trade opportunity live in countries like US or Canada for old Europe and being classified as a second category citizen ,never fell for EU brain wash
Old May 16th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't worry, I didn't mean it badly. I believe that people should be free to live and work where they like (I know other economic factors like job shortages etc play a part here), so long as they pay taxes, integrate with the local society, learn the local language etc. We're all people, after all. As long as we're being fair and playing by the rules, that's all that should really matter.

Good luck to you wherever you end up.
Old May 16th 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

hrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nice

@polishvisitor:
what visa do you have? having a visa or not is pretty much determing whether you'll get into CA at all. in other words - you won't get a job without a valid visa prior job hunting. The chances to find an employer who will sponsor your visa are very slim. Even if you have a visa, you'll find a hard time to get a job from applying from abroad.

The job market is quite competitive especially taking under consideration that there're loads of umemployed IT people in GTA. in addition, technical stuff such as coding is more and more being shifted offshore to asian countries or sometimes nearshore to low cost areas within CA. as long as your position does not require being client facing, you will have a hard time to get a decent hourly rate. Compared to rates in london or western continental europe, the rates are already very low and cost of living is high - in toronto very high. cost of living is much cheaper than in london but the salary is also much lower. CA is not the US and by far not a place to make big bucks. more and more canadian professionals are leaving CA due to the lack of well paid jobs.

Just as a hint: dont expect canadians welcoming immigrants. In fact many don't. Especially these days you hear more and more canadians complaining about the high number of immigrants coming to CA every year when the unemployment rate is so high at the same time. You will face quite a lot discrimination e.g. you get dinged due to lack of (canadian) references or because of lack of 'canadian experience'.

Good luck!
Andy

Last edited by hrt2fnd; May 16th 2010 at 4:26 pm.
Old May 16th 2010, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hrt2fnd
@polishvisitor:
what visa do you have? having a visa or not is pretty much determing whether you'll get into CA at all. in other words - you won't get a job without a valid visa prior job hunting. The chances to find an employer who will sponsor your visa are very slim. Even if you have a visa, you'll find a hard time to get a job from applying from abroad.

The job market is quite competitive especially taking under consideration that there're loads of umemployed IT people in GTA. in addition, technical stuff such as coding is more and more being shifted offshore to asian countries or sometimes nearshore to low cost areas within CA. as long as your position does not require being client facing, you will have a hard time to get a decent hourly rate. Compared to rates in london or western continental europe, the rates are already very low and cost of living is high - in toronto very high. cost of living is much cheaper than in london but the salary is also much lower. CA is not the US and by far not a place to make big bucks. more and more canadian professionals are leaving CA due to the lack of well paid jobs.

Just as a hint: dont expect canadians welcoming immigrants. In fact many don't. Especially these days you hear more and more canadians complaining about the high number of immigrants coming to CA every year when the unemployment rate is so high at the same time. You will face quite a lot discrimination e.g. you get dinged due to lack of (canadian) references or because of lack of 'canadian experience'.

Good luck!
Andy
Andy
Thanks for your info, I received canadian citizenship 20 years ago,also i was educated in canada,and worked before in IT in canada as well. What you just said about condition in canada vs usa do not suprise me, I myself went to the states years ago ,and looks like I will do it again, thanks anyway