Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

container UK to BC? and PC conversion costs?

container UK to BC? and PC conversion costs?

Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:09 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default container UK to BC? and PC conversion costs?

ok maybe im being stupid here ( its been a long day) how do thery get the boats to BC? or do they go to quebeck and then train the containers cross country?

also i have seen one recommendation for robinsons. does anyone recommend anyone else? any good or bad stories? we are looking at a 20ft container. how long/how much etc? we are not taking anything electrical except our computer and laptop which we will have to have converted. (laptop was new last week and my PC is a behemouth that would cost thousands to replace as i had it custom built) any idea how much to get a computer converted to work on canadian hertz?

thanks in advance. TJ
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:03 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of
Default Re: container UK to BC? and PC conversion costs?

Originally Posted by __TJ__
except our computer and laptop which we will have to have converted. (laptop was new last week and my PC is a behemouth that would cost thousands to replace as i had it custom built) any idea how much to get a computer converted to work on canadian hertz?

thanks in advance. TJ
Your computers probably won't require any conversion. Check for a label that says something like '100-240V, 50/60Hz' -- on the laptop, you'll find this on the power adapter. Canadian domestic power is 110V at 60Hz; so long as that's within the indicated range, you'll be OK. You may need to buy a small adapter that allows you to physically plug the power supply into a Canadian outlet. Those are cheap and only cost a few dollars.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

ok maybe im being stupid here ( its been a long day) how do thery get the boats to BC? or do they go to quebeck and then train the containers cross country?

also i have seen one recommendation for robinsons. does anyone recommend anyone else? any good or bad stories? we are looking at a 20ft container. how long/how much etc? we are not taking anything electrical except our computer and laptop which we will have to have converted. (laptop was new last week and my PC is a behemouth that would cost thousands to replace as i had it custom built) any idea how much to get a computer converted to work on canadian hertz?

thanks in advance. TJ
Computers are generally dual voltage, so you should be fine.

My container was shipped to Quebec, and then put on the train to Edmonton.
Not sure if it's possible to do the same to BC, as obviously there's a little thing called the Rocky Mountains in the way, but other trains pass through there so maybe it's possible afterall?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:19 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Computers are generally dual voltage, so you should be fine.

My container was shipped to Quebec, and then put on the train to Edmonton.
Not sure if it's possible to do the same to BC, as obviously there's a little thing called the Rocky Mountains in the way, but other trains pass through there so maybe it's possible afterall?
If it is in a standard container it can go coast to coast by rail, no problem. Hundreds, if not thousands, of containers go through there, both east and west bound, every day. Check out The Spiral Tunnel. It's worth a visit.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Laptop will be dual voltage, buy an new power cord and avoid the hassle of adapters.

PC - If it is dual voltage no probs, it not, buy a new power supply, they are not expensive and pretty easy to put install. Prices - www.TigerDirect.com

PC are not at all expensive here - High end gaming around $1200 - $1500, small office starting $450 - $600 custom built incl OS.

Where in BC are you going to?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
A key part of Canadian history = the building of the trans-Canadian railroad connecting the east and west together. They didn't think it was possible to build it through the Rockies, but due to some excellent engineering, they managed to. Surprisingly, a large part of Canada exists the way it does (the provinces that make up Canada, the routes of trade, the layout and location of its towns and cities) exist because of that railroad. BC wouldn't have joined Canada if it wasn't for the promise of that railroad!

There's your completely random Canadian history trivia for the day!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

thanks in advance. TJ
My container as just been off loaded into our new home. On the back of the PC tower you should see a tiny swith that says 220 on it. move that over so it say 110. you should find it next to where the power cord goes in. Laptop's just work anywhere.

as for container companies. I used my neighbours company. As they ship to Canada regular. I used the full service. Was well worth the money. As I was already in Canada I did not want my wife to pack all the stuff up so left it all to the removal boys. They packed and took apart all furniture. One and half weeks later was here ready to be cleared at customs. They then brought it up to the house, unpacked everything and rebuilt all the furniture. What more do you want.

This is there details and they cover the UK. Cheapest I could find and the best service.

When you ring John, tell him that “Dave your Neighbour recommended them” you should get a better price

John Matkin
Simpsons Removals & Storage Ltd
Email: [email protected]
Direct Line 1: +44 (0) 1246 852266
Direst Line 2; + 44 (0) 1246 855822
Switchboard: +44 (0) 1322 386 969
Fax: +44 (0) 1246 855822

Head Office, Blue Hawk House, A1 Manor Way Business Park,
Manor Way, Swanscombe, Dartford, Kent, DA10 0PP
Web: http://www.simpsons-uk.com
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

We used Simpsons too (for our move to NYC) and I thought they were excellent. Very helpful, nice guys for the packing (incredibly fast too) and nothing broken along the way. They sub-contracted for the NYC unpack, not sure if they have a branch in Canada though.

Originally Posted by cargomatic
My container as just been off loaded into our new home. On the back of the PC tower you should see a tiny swith that says 220 on it. move that over so it say 110. you should find it next to where the power cord goes in. Laptop's just work anywhere.

as for container companies. I used my neighbours company. As they ship to Canada regular. I used the full service. Was well worth the money. As I was already in Canada I did not want my wife to pack all the stuff up so left it all to the removal boys. They packed and took apart all furniture. One and half weeks later was here ready to be cleared at customs. They then brought it up to the house, unpacked everything and rebuilt all the furniture. What more do you want.

This is there details and they cover the UK. Cheapest I could find and the best service.

When you ring John, tell him that “Dave your Neighbour recommended them” you should get a better price

John Matkin
Simpsons Removals & Storage Ltd
Email: [email protected]
Direct Line 1: +44 (0) 1246 852266
Direst Line 2; + 44 (0) 1246 855822
Switchboard: +44 (0) 1322 386 969
Fax: +44 (0) 1246 855822

Head Office, Blue Hawk House, A1 Manor Way Business Park,
Manor Way, Swanscombe, Dartford, Kent, DA10 0PP
Web: http://www.simpsons-uk.com
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:32 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

we used britannia robins. they were ok everything arrived in one piece but 6 weks later than quoted! it was just under 5000 pounds for a 20 ftcontainer from south wales to vqncouver.
Our pc had dual voltage so no problems
Good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:26 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We used Excess International -all arrived in one piece - boat then train - they gave you the ship number etc so you can track it on line!! watching is float across the sea!

Laptops are fine here - we didnt bring our ancient Tiny pc but brought a fabby new apple wide screen here - well it looks fab - got no idea what most of it does but hey ho!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:30 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, trying to get the laptop out of my aspergers suffering sons hand would require some form of anasthesia! and im glad i dont have to move my pc all over again fom old to a new one. i have a couple of thousand hi res photos stored on it and it took for ever!

wow quotes for shipping. makes it seem more real somehow
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:40 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

My lap top works fine here and its 3 years old - so you shouldnt have a prob

For moving I would get a quote from these guys - I know them personally and can vouch for them.

http://www.bishopsmove.net/

Good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, trying to get the laptop out of my aspergers suffering sons hand would require some form of anasthesia! and im glad i dont have to move my pc all over again fom old to a new one. i have a couple of thousand hi res photos stored on it and it took for ever!

wow quotes for shipping. makes it seem more real somehow
If the hard drive in your old PC is OK, take that out and put it in a new one. Presumably you also run backups of your drive, if so you could do a restore backup on a new drive. At the very least you might want to burn the pictures onto DVD media, if your hard drive cooks, which they do, you've lost the lot.
I run two hard drives on my comps. one external for data/images and one internal for the OS, that way if the OS gets infected the data is still OK. Also back up the HD to removable media.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:59 pm
finally together...

oh trust me i back up religeously! i have two external drives, one i back up the whole PC on monthly (stored at MILs house), the other i back up as and when i download new photos from my memory cards. i always have everything stored in at least two places.