Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Container being pulled by customs

Container being pulled by customs

Old Jun 9th 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of
Default Container being pulled by customs

Is there really a greater chance of a container being inspected by Canadian customs if it was self packed (in the UK) rather than "professionally" packed by a removals firm?

Just wondering if this is a scare tactic used within the industry or if there's some truth in it?
Old Jun 9th 2012, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Container being pulled by customs

What do you believe?
A container can be examined for a variety of reasons be it being randomly selected by a computer or officer or a multitude of certain indicators.
Personally I have never selected a container for examination based solely on it being self packed.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Didn't know what to believe. It's good to know that a container shouldn't be targeted solely based on it being self packed. I'm aware that there are extra costs and delay involved when this happens so I'm trying to weigh up the risk.

Thanks.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

I packed my own and had no problems at all 6 yrs ago into halifax
Old Jun 9th 2012, 11:21 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

A Customs officer may look at a self pack inventory and think this is a person trying to save money. He may look at it and think what's in these boxes that the owner doesn't want a third party to see. He may also wonder if the pack has been done without "professional" advise, does it contain forbidden items.

It's all about percentages.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What do you believe?
I would tend to believe that one that was packed by a remover I had heard of was on the whole less likely to contain something it shouldn't since they'd be more aware of the rules than a private individual was. The consequence being that the probability of it being searched was likely lower, but not zero.

How does that compare with reality?
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Reality would be there is no way of knowing if your container is going to be selected for exam or not regardless of who packed it.
Containers containing vehicles and tractors, combines or other farm machinery items more than likely to be selected by CBSA/CFIA to see if properly cleaned etc
As for the rest is anyones guess.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Reality would be there is no way of knowing if your container is going to be selected for exam or not regardless of who packed it.
Containers containing vehicles and tractors, combines or other farm machinery items more than likely to be selected by CBSA/CFIA to see if properly cleaned etc
As for the rest is anyones guess.
I get the picture.

good to know.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

One more thing. Is a gas BBQ (without the canister of course) regarded as a dodgy item? It's a expensive one, which would be sore to replace.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a petrol generator and a petrol lawn-mower.

Presumably they are ok as long as I have cleaned and emptied them, but they may also be a target for inspection.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
One more thing. Is a gas BBQ (without the canister of course) regarded as a dodgy item? It's a expensive one, which would be sore to replace.
Not unless you have been bbqing in muddy fields or has been placed on a soil footing
Old Jun 9th 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Not unless you have been bbqing in muddy fields or has been placed on a soil footing
Spent it's life on decking. Guessing BBQ is borderline, lawnmower must be prime target for inspection. I'm not daring to ship gardening tools.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:50 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Spent it's life on decking. Guessing BBQ is borderline, lawnmower must be prime target for inspection. I'm not daring to ship gardening tools.
I left my lawnmowers behind; wish I hadn't! Can't get a flymo here and my petrol mower is such a beast compared with my old UK one.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:55 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought our petrol mower and strimmer, our gas canister BBQ without the canister, all tools and gardening equipment. Just make sure they are clean and empty of petrol.

As I said earlier it's all about percentages. I worked as an import move coordinator at our company, for 18 months and saw very few containers from the UK actually opened, a lot go on documentation hold, especially in the summer months. Containers coming fromcertain countries will get pulled for inspection without doubt, the clients are pre warned of this and are prepared. I had a diplomat who's container was pulled, he tried to claim immunity, he was not happy that is immunity did extend to his shipment, he was also very angry that he had to do a personal clearance like us lesser mortals, but in the words of the guys n gals at Toronto customs, " we don't care who he is, he clears his stuff just like everyone else"

I had a can coming from the UK that got opened, customs found a stock cube, by the time the client had paid for the inspection and demurrage because the container had gone over the free time, they were $1500 out of pocket.

My final word on self packing is insurance. You need to check your cover, to my knowledge you can only get total loss on self packed shipments, I could be wrong, but it's something to check out with the insurance company.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

For gardening stuff inc bikes etc get some Jeyes fluid - it stinks but it disinfects. We were advised by every removal firm we had out to quote that we needed to use it. We brought all sorts of gardening stuff.

We also brought a newish bosch lawnmower. It's now in the basement - it's useless over here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.