Reload this Page >

Consultancy or 'Go It Alone'???

Consultancy or 'Go It Alone'???

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Austen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Consultancy or 'Go It Alone'???

Good evening people...

My partner and I are just about to start the Canadian Immigration process for Permanent Residency status. However, in the research we've done so far, we've come across several consultancy firms offering help and guidance on all things immigration.

My question is this- Would you advice us to go with an immigration consultancy, or go it alone????

In addition to this, are there any brits out there who have successfully used a consultancy, whilst applying for permanent residency? If so, which one(s)??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Austen and Jenny.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 11:20 pm
Haki

Default Re: Consultancy or 'Go It Alone'???

I am using a law firm for my application. You do not need to use a law/consultant
firm if you make sure that all the paperwork done properly. This forum will give
you all the help you need. I used a law firm believing that they will be able to
assist me, but unfortunately not worth the money paid and no assistance received.
I have carried out the search and compiled the entire required document before
hiring the firm.

Our application was submitted to London.

Good Luck

"Austen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Good evening people...
    >
    > My partner and I are just about to start the Canadian Immigration process for
    > Permanent Residency status. However, in the research we've done so far, we've come
    > across several consultancy firms offering help and guidance on all things
    > immigration.
    >
    > My question is this- Would you advice us to go with an immigration consultancy, or
    > go it alone????
    >
    > In addition to this, are there any brits out there who have successfully used a
    > consultancy, whilst applying for permanent residency? If so, which one(s)??
    >
    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    >
    > Thanks Austen and Jenny.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 25th 2002, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Austen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Old Jul 26th 2002, 9:21 am
Frans

Austen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> My question is this- Would you advice us to go with an immigration consultancy, or
    > go it alone????

I've struggled with the same question, and in the end decided to fly solo.

Some questions I had were answered here, a few remaining issues were cleared when I
visited an information evening organised by an immigration consultant, just
"casually" chatting with one of the consultants'employees. It's a lot of work, but
the work of collecting all the required evidence is not going to be any less if you
hire a consultant.

I collected all the stuff, translated it and had it certified. Then I wrote a good
letter explaining why I wanted to move to Canada, why I thought my qualifications
would be in demand, and enclosed a statement of an acquaintance in my line of
business that he would assist me in getting in touch with prospective employers (you
may want to find a discussion group about your line of work, get involved and scout
for Canadians on that list. In my case, there was a discussion group on Energy issues
in Canada, which obviously was full of Canadians). I also took care that I collected
letters from previous employers which reflected the qualifications that I claimed
were in demand. Everything written in these letters was true, mind you, but choosing
the right wording makes all the difference.

In this letter I also listed, in the order that the topics appear on the application
form, the nature of the evidence provided, and summarized it where necessary (e.g.
show a small calculation how you arrived at the settlement funds amount in the
application form, so the officer processing your application doesn't have to go
looking in notary deeds and such).

My application arrived in Berlin on the 11 of September last year (really!) and by
the end of November I had received the interview waiver.

[then started a horrendously slow and cumbersome medical procedure that seems to have
ended now. Any day now the landing papers should arrive...we hope)

Good luck!

Frans