Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Consultancy/Freelance work

Consultancy/Freelance work

Old Jun 26th 2013, 9:12 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Consultancy/Freelance work

Hi Everyone,

As most of you are aware there is significant flooding in Alberta. I work within Insurance and the company that are supporting me through my LMO and have offered me a role are deploying some of their Vancouver staff into assisting their Calgary office with the Alberta flooding.

My LMO is taking its time coming through and my employer could do with some assistance with this crisis. My question is could I assist my new employer from the UK on the basis of constultancy/free lancing. I have a Canadian unlimted call package and so would be assisting them with stuff that could be dealt with over the phone and internet, without me being in Canada. it would be what we call in the business desk top loss adjusting rather than field adjusting.

Is this a viable option as my employer do not have a UK office and would this affect my eventual move to the company on a TWP?

Thanks

Mike
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consultancy/Freelance work

If you are currently in the UK but working for a Canadian company and being paid by the Canadian company we could legally say that you are not in Canada but still employed by a Canadian company, therefore need to meet all the requirements however in a case like this I doubt CIC would care as you are not in Canada.
Unless they audit the Canadian companies payroll how would CIC even find out?
If you are being paid as a consultant and doing the work outside Canada then NO TWP is required.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jun 26th 2013 at 12:20 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:54 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If you are currently in the UK but working for a Canadian company and being paid by the Canadian company we could legally say that you are not in Canada but still employed by a Canadian company, therefore need to meet all the requirements however in a case like this I doubt CIC would care as you are not in Canada.
Unless they audit the Canadian companies payroll how would CIC even find out?
If you are being paid as a consultant and doing the work outside Canada then NO TWP is required.
Thanks for the feedback FL, the company want me there already although delays with the LMO mean Im not out there yet and they had mentioned recently they could do with my help. I was therefore going to suggest the consultancy/freelance option to keep them happy and get myself some brownie points but wanted to check the implications of working for them pre TWP.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Its only when the work is actually being done in Canada and the person is actually in Canada doing the work is when CIC/CBSA look at the TWP implications.
Help out by doing what you can outside of Canada by all means but actually entering Canada and doing the work is where problems will arise.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 5:21 pm

Its only when the work is actually being done in Canada and the person is actually in Canada doing the work is when CIC/CBSA look at the TWP implications.
Help out by doing what you can outside of Canada by all means but actually entering Canada and doing the work is where problems will arise.
I have no intention of doing any work in Canada until its all legal and above board
Old Jun 26th 2013, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I have no intention of doing any work in Canada until its all legal and above board
Not like Ive ever heard that before
Old Jun 26th 2013, 5:29 pm

Not like Ive ever heard that before
mmm if you had a dollar for everytime you heard that you would be very rich