Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

construction in the winter

construction in the winter

Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about
Default construction in the winter

Hi all. My family have more or less decided that Nova Scotia ticks most of our boxes however one thing still bothers my oh.
As he is a carpenter he spends a large proportion of his time working outside, on roofs etc. He would love to hear from some other construction workers how they cope in winter. Does work stop, do they work longer hours in summer to make up the short fall. Is it a hard physical life for those in construction type trades? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: construction in the winter

Nobody???
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:52 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

If it's any help...they built a Holiday Inn here last winter. -20c out but it never seemed to stop them.

I suppose they just have additional tasks like covering stuff in tarps over night, clearing snow and keeping heat on things that need curing (i.e. concrete).

Originally Posted by 6 limes
how they cope in winter. Does work stop. Is it a hard physical life for those in construction type trades?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:12 pm
we aint goin' back,no way

loose moose will become famous soon enoughloose moose will become famous soon enough

...so long as there's work and no snow (on the roof, for safety reasons!) then construction workers are out there all weathers! just spent the last week watching a multi family development being framed even though it was -30 with wind chill

Last edited by loose moose; Jan 11th 2009 at 10:16 pm. Reason: added the safety bit
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:14 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all. My family have more or less decided that Nova Scotia ticks most of our boxes however one thing still bothers my oh.
As he is a carpenter he spends a large proportion of his time working outside, on roofs etc. He would love to hear from some other construction workers how they cope in winter. Does work stop, do they work longer hours in summer to make up the short fall. Is it a hard physical life for those in construction type trades? Thanks in advance.
My OH is a drywaller and is currently waiting to go back to a job at Bayers Lake which is an outside job.

When he was last on it, it was raining and snowing and really windy...and they were still expected to stay and get on with it!

So don't worry - just because its chilly here and rather snowey (specially today ) he will still have lots of work to do !
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

We having a house built now, the winter does not stop the construction, just slows it a little. Framed and roof on in November and taking possession in March, so they will be working straight through the lovely Ottawa Winter
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
My OH is a drywaller and is currently waiting to go back to a job at Bayers Lake which is an outside job.

When he was last on it, it was raining and snowing and really windy...and they were still expected to stay and get on with it!

So don't worry - just because its chilly here and rather snowey (specially today ) he will still have lots of work to do !
So is my OH
They heat alot up alot of places he works in... Seal the buildings up with tarp and get huge heaters in.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Do trades men find life harder in Canada than the UK due to the weather?
My OH is 46 and is concerned that working in extreme elements will be counterproductive to a "better " life in Canada.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:01 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstya
So is my OH
They heat alot up alot of places he works in... Seal the buildings up with tarp and get huge heaters in.
Yeah working inside is okay - its just put on as many layers as you can should you have the misfortune of having to work on an outside job! I think in Kelowna most of the jobs are housing aren't they? They are more commercial over here.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:02 pm

Do trades men find life harder in Canada than the UK due to the weather?
My OH is 46 and is concerned that working in extreme elements will be counterproductive to a "better " life in Canada.
It doesn't seem to bother my OH. Like another poster says - if your inside then they heat the places and most of the time you end up being too warm!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
It doesn't seem to bother my OH. Like another poster says - if your inside then they heat the places and most of the time you end up being too warm!

Hi there Amy David. Hope you dont mind me asking, is your husband in construction? What is the work situation like at the moment? And is construction work easy to come by in NS. Thanks.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:09 pm

Hi there Amy David. Hope you dont mind me asking, is your husband in construction? What is the work situation like at the moment? And is construction work easy to come by in NS. Thanks.
Hi he sure is. He is a drywaller.

The work situation here seems to be good to be honest. I read a report the other day that said we were holding steady here whilst other Provinces were faltering and laying off construction workers.

I suppose it is because there was no boom here, it's just "normal" so it just continues like that.

My OH just phoned one drywall company, explained the whole LMO situation, went in and met the directors and was hired on the spot. Just get on the phone and if your coming on a reccie go into the offices and meet people.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:47 am
Just Joined

jonjws is an unknown quantity at this point

currently working with guys from nova scotia and apparantly there is no work there full stop unless u want to work in a mall, looks like they are wrong albeit they are masons so it may be true

john
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jonjws
currently working with guys from nova scotia and apparantly there is no work there full stop unless u want to work in a mall, looks like they are wrong albeit they are masons so it may be true

john
What is a mason? As in stone mason or as in the secret society? Confused It may also depend where in NS they are from?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We have just had a sparky in to put some lights in for us and he said it was nice to be working in doors as it wasn't very pleasant in the -44 windchill weather we have been having.

(nice and warm at the mo though - we're in + temps).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.