Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Construction qualifications relevence?

Construction qualifications relevence?

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 10:51 am
Just Joined

tingdingaling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Construction qualifications relevence?

Hello, I am new to this forum so please bare with me,
I am looking to Immigrate to Canada with my wife to be and i am having great difficulty trying to work out if my CPCS card (360 plant operator) has any relevance over there?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:35 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction qualifications relevence?

Originally Posted by tingdingaling
Hello, I am new to this forum so please bare with me,
I am looking to Immigrate to Canada with my wife to be and i am having great difficulty trying to work out if my CPCS card (360 plant operator) has any relevance over there?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Certainly would be of some relevance.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

cheeky_monkey

would you need to retrain if you hold a cpcs card? for a local one?
hamazz
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed you would need to sit a test over there to work as a plant operator,was looking into this myself last year,before pursuing another career option.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scootb
Indeed you would need to sit a test over there to work as a plant operator,was looking into this myself last year,before pursuing another career option.
scootb

can i ask what other career option you went for? if you dont mind me asking that is?
i got vast experience in the whole construction industry and trying to decide which way to go before applying

hamazz
Old Apr 7th 2013, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

In Alberta there are a lot of trades where you will need Alberta recognised certification in order to be allowed to work there.

I used to work in a precast concrete factory when I was younger,it was local and required no experience,imagine my shock when I find out it is a bloody decent paying trade in most provinces in Canada!(I do have 8 years experience in the trade though.)
Concrete finishing in Alberta is an optional certified trade,I am looking into applying for my Alberta Red Seal certification atm,just need my old employers to sign the forms for me before.
I think that Sask is a much easier province to get into,and the wages seem only slightly less,but then they have a higher tax.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:16 am
Just Joined

tingdingaling is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that's great.. i did look at concrete finishing but wasn't sure of what qualifications i would need to do over there.
I am looking to move to Ontario dose that make any difference?

thanks
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Your choice of province can make a huge difference, both to your chances of employment, and also to whether or not you'll be able to apply for PR.

I don't know what your NOC code is? But I just did a quick search of the HRSDC website and the first one that popped up was this - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...Plant+operator

It appears that that is Skill Level C, meaning that if that is your NOC code, you wouldn't be eligible to apply for PR in Ontario.

So if that is your NOC and you do want to stay long term, you'd need to go to a different province, one with a semi-skilled stream under their PNP.

But it may be that another NOC code is more applicable, and perhaps that is skilled?

Of course, the above doesn't apply if you have another route to a visa i.e. your fiancée is Canadian? But I'm not sure which Visa route you were planning on?

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 10th 2013 at 11:30 am.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, that's great.. i did look at concrete finishing but wasn't sure of what qualifications i would need to do over there.

thanks
I don't have any info on Ontario mate sorry,I only looked into Sask(my original choice,and Alberta).
Someone with experience/knowledge of Ontario will no doubt post some helpful info for you mate!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Derpmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Is '360 plant operator' the same as operating an excavator? If so you don't need any credentials there's a ton of jobs where the guy will just evaluate you on the spot if it's for a paving company or landscapers.

If it's driving the truck and operating the excavator which is most jobs, you need an 'A-Z' drivers license which is Air Brakes. I think that costs money to take the course
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/LMI...Option=outlook

Have a look at the Working in Canada website - it has links to jobs, outlooks, wages, training requirements etc.

Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

ok.. just came across this thread....
H&S are becoming a real pain now in parts of Canada ,experience from abroad is kindly looked at BUT a paper trail is now required ie a certification course is now required for all mobile plant.including a CORE certification.if you are subbing for a major co.
a 360 course is now costing a small fortune ,FLT licence is now required (previously an internal training course was good enough )but due to fines and WCB claims (workers compensation board) companies have to cover there butts. everything from having tagged boots ---checking the yr of your safety helmet.I work in redi mix ,& aggregate hauling and in the last 6months i have had to complete at least one H&S course a wk,due to company liabilities to contractors etc.to be ready for the season.
this is in MB.