Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

considering moving to Windsor, Ont.

Wikiposts

considering moving to Windsor, Ont.

Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: considering moving to Windsor, Ont.

Originally Posted by iaink
Its out great cultural center

In some jurisdictions they give tickets only if you really are going too fast...Chatham unfortunately isnt one of those
My ticket by the Quinte Mall was given by a jocular copper. I had a van load of furniture,

"where you going with that?"

"Toronto, Jane and Finch"

"Jane and Finch? Keep going at that speed up and just push it out the back"

Expensive ticket though I've forgotten how much.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:22 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not knocking Belleville nor Cornwall nor Parry Sound nor Alliston nor Guelph just wondering why, if you were in one, there would be any need to see another.
Its called experience and seeing different things and places in life. Just cus Ive been to Paris, Lyon and Marseille does that mean I shouldnt have gone to Quebec city and MTL as its French culture or just because I can Canoe and Kayak on Lake Ontario does that mean I should not go to Lake Vernon, Killarney Lake or Lake Joe? Repetition of the same thing especially in the same place gets pretty boring after a while.

Not everyone likes to live in their little village/town/city and stay there. Just cus a load of Torontoites never go north of Finch doesnt mean its the way to go, lifes about exploring to me (and I think most immigrants). There are hundreds of beautiful villages, towns, cities, places, spots, hikes, lakes, trails that all can be similar but are different in their own right and worth experiencing.

But if you have to ask that question your not the sort of person to understand it in the 1st place.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:26 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What is your problem? You post but dont read the replies.

Maybe if hes busy jet setting aroung the world he doesnt have the time or inclination to stop and compare two marginally different places. Why stop and compare Belleville and Cornwall when you could be comparing Toyko and Singapore?

Like you say, we are all different, so live and let live eh.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 25th 2008 at 2:44 am.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Its called experience and seeing different things and places in life.
My point is that paddling near Alliston is not much different from paddling near Belleville or, back on topic, driving a snowmobile in southwest Ontario, southern Michigan or central Ontario isn't much of different experience. If you were in Windsor, there'd be no particular need to go to the rest of Ontario, if you wanted paddling and snowmobiling you'd likely go to the UP. Similarly, if you're in Alliston you'd likely go to Killarney or Algonquin rather than Michigan.

Michigan, Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Quebec offer similar outdoor recreational opportunities and it's hair splitting to favour one over another.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:56 am
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by G77
With a bit of luck and wind behind us, we should be over this September....

I'll get the beer on ice
I'm planning on landing in August if my PPR comes through in time:curse: Hopefully the area will be as I remember it.

You will have to keep us updated on your move when you get out there...
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
What I meant was that your reasons why you like Windsor is its proximity to other places in terms of hours away. It didn't seem like many reasons why Windsor itself was so good. With the delays on the bridge and tunnel between Windsor and Detroit it would seem like a separate place to me. I stand by my previous opinions that Detroit is a sh*th*ole based on my visits there and having seen the destruction of residential neighbourhoods, the blight, the crime and the flight to the suburbs which are spreading out like tentacles into the Michigan countryside. Windsor is pretty much immune to that but if I had to choose a US city to live in, Detroit would be pretty low on the list.

If you enjoy it then that is great.
The city itself is liveable, I particularly like our little bit of LaSalle, but as dbd said, what's the difference between here and any other smalltown, ON if you haven't got Detroit - that's the real pull for me (and its location within such easy driving of the cities and places I listed).
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toni1
aside from the jobs, what does everything else think about low housing prices which means less mortgages and the lifestyle there..in windsor?
Someone posted this link yesterday - Windsor gets a B overall - http://ca.pfinance.yahoo.com/ca_fina...re-to-buy-now/ . We had pick of the bunch, and there's no doubt the value is incredible here, but buying in this region's not a short term commitment.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:35 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Someone posted this link yesterday - Windsor gets a B overall - http://ca.pfinance.yahoo.com/ca_fina...re-to-buy-now/ . We had pick of the bunch, and there's no doubt the value is incredible here, but buying in this region's not a short term commitment.
Will you stop linking to rubbish like this

Please take no notice Saskatchewan is not a good place to buy property or live STAY AWAY or else
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

HelNAl is an unknown quantity at this point

Saskatchewan sounds great I'll tell everyone I know to go there
and those I don't.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 4:27 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelNAl
Saskatchewan sounds great I'll tell everyone I know to go there
and those I don't.
Shhh!

Now back to the topic of Windsor ON
Old Jun 25th 2008, 5:38 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

My point is that paddling near Alliston is not much different from paddling near Belleville or, back on topic, driving a snowmobile in southwest Ontario, southern Michigan or central Ontario isn't much of different experience. If you were in Windsor, there'd be no particular need to go to the rest of Ontario, if you wanted paddling and snowmobiling you'd likely go to the UP. Similarly, if you're in Alliston you'd likely go to Killarney or Algonquin rather than Michigan.

Michigan, Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Quebec offer similar outdoor recreational opportunities and it's hair splitting to favour one over another.
Any my point was if thats what you think your not the sort of person to explore and appreciate whats different, just cus Killarney, Algonquin et all is nearer to me wont stop me from seeing lots of other places no matter how similar they are. Each to their own.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Any my point was if thats what you think your not the sort of person to explore and appreciate whats different
I think you're excessively judgmental and that, by comparison with me, you are likely the less willing to experiment with and appreciate things that are different. For example, how many men have you had sex with? Can you knit? Are you pierced? If you had a pair of donkey testicles to hand what sort of dish would you prepare with them? Would you ride in a VW Beetle convertible? What drugs have you done lifetime and this week? How many children do you have? Have you ever been in jail? What's your favourite opera? Have you jumped from or driven an aeroplane? What types of religious services have you attended? How many languages can you speak?

I tell you sir, it's possible to have lived a boldly experimental life even if one has never snowmobiled outside Dufferin County.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:36 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Wow!!! all this after someone enquired abt what its like in Windsor
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by manningl
Wow!!! all this after someone enquired abt what its like in Windsor
Are you surprised? Mention Windsor and talk of bohemianism inevitably follows, Windsor is, after all, on the Rive Gauche of the Detroit.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:28 am
No time for muppets!

Are you surprised? Mention Windsor and talk of bohemianism inevitably follows, Windsor is, after all, on the Rive Gauche of the Detroit.
Dont think its talk of Windsor that started that, this always happens to threads when certain individuals are involved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.