Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

considering moving to Windsor, Ont.

Wikiposts

considering moving to Windsor, Ont.

Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

toni1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default considering moving to Windsor, Ont.

hi all,
i heard its a nice city, close to all borders, and other major cities, also homes are dirt cheap there...can anyone please shed some light if your living there currently or have in the past and the advantages or disadvantages?

thanks,
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:09 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: considering moving to Windsor, Ont.

Do you have a job lined up? What industry are you in? Finding a job as an immigrant would be neigh on impossible around there at the moment (hence the cheap house prices).

We're heading for Windsor in September hopefully, but I have a job lined up with the company I work for here in the UK....
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here, but the economic situation doesn't affect us. What do you do for work toni1?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

i work as IT admin, here in calgary...so ive heard alot of people drive across to detroit for work, i know ontario is a manufacturing place, but is there really no other jobs out there? how are people living then?

how is the weather there? now ontario for the most part has brutal winters with lots of snow, how is windsor?

thanks,
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:25 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

There is indeed plenty of IT work in Detroit, there's a big EDS office and also Compuware's worldwide HQ, probably lots of smaller places too. To make it feasible however, you'd need to find a company willing to support you in getting a TN visa - which I think, but could be wrong, you need to be a Canadian citizen to get. To make crossing the border on a daily basis possible/bearable, you'd also need to be eligible for a Nexus tag, which lets you drive across the border without all the customs/immigration nonsense - this again needs you to have been I think a PR for 3 years.

So it depends on your circumstances.... it's possible, but personally I'd like to have something lined up (or a large cash buffer!)
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toni1
now ontario for the most part has brutal winters with lots of snow,
Does it? Ive been here ten years and wouldnt say that. Its warmer than Alberta, winter is shorter, and we dont get half the snow the East Coast does.

Windsor (and Detroit) is a one trick town. If Automotive is hurting, then you can bet that things are hard there.

TN is a Nafta visa class. Non canadians can forget about it. H1-B is an option, but not all that easy to find.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 24th 2008 at 5:29 am.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:31 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Windsor (and Detroit) is a one trick town. If Automotive is hurting, then you can bet that things are hard there.
Not necessarily - just searched on monster for "Microsoft Windows" in detroit and it came back with 93 jobs, which whilst not an immense amount, certainly gives some scope.....
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
There is indeed plenty of IT work in Detroit, there's a big EDS office and also Compuware's worldwide HQ, probably lots of smaller places too. To make it feasible however, you'd need to find a company willing to support you in getting a TN visa - which I think, but could be wrong, you need to be a Canadian citizen to get. To make crossing the border on a daily basis possible/bearable, you'd also need to be eligible for a Nexus tag, which lets you drive across the border without all the customs/immigration nonsense - this again needs you to have been I think a PR for 3 years.

So it depends on your circumstances.... it's possible, but personally I'd like to have something lined up (or a large cash buffer!)
An additional snag with working for a US service bureau or consulting firm is that if they have a lot of government work they prefer people who are carded (have a US government security clearance) and/or are citizens. My email address on one client's system includes both a security classification and "non-US" so no one makes a mistake and sends me something I shouldn't see. A UK national resident in Canada likely wouldn't be the first choice of employee.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

im a canadian citizen, and lets say i dont want to go to detriot to work, is there IT jobs in windsor? any other things that is good and bad about the city?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

im a canadian citizen, and lets say i dont want to go to detriot to work, is there IT jobs in windsor?
No.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

db, i you dont have any relevant comments, please dont respond at all.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

db, i you dont have any relevant comments, please dont respond at all.
How much more relevant do you want than "No"?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:44 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
No.
Bit harsh - there's IT jobs everywhere.... just depends what you're looking for.....

They're not likely to be plentiful though I have to admit!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by G77
Bit harsh - there's IT jobs everywhere.... just depends what you're looking for.....

They're not likely to be plentiful though I have to admit!
OK I'll try again. Windsor is not renowned as a centre for computing jobs, it's economically depressed and depends on an industry which tends to have its computing facilities located remotely; in Detroit or Oakville. It is as bad a choice of location as any of a similar population. Or, in short, no.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:49 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
OK I'll try again. Windsor is not renowned as a centre for computing jobs, it's economically depressed and depends on an industry which tends to have its computing facilities located remotely; in Detroit or Oakville. It is as bad a choice of location as any of a similar population. Or, in short, no.
That's more like it - he didn't say he wasn't up for a challenge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.