Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Considering moving to Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

Considering moving to Nova Scotia

Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering moving to Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Public transport in NS is pretty non-existent but their version of rush hour is having 3 cars in front of you at a junction, so even though your only real option is to drive it's a pretty smooth journey. Parking in the downtown area is pretty easy too & not at extortionate rates either, there's definitely plus points to living in under populated areas
Oh, no doubt. I went to NS a few times when one of my children was at school there. I liked it with the caveats that:

- work is problematic
- it's a relatively homogenous society and so it's more difficult to get a variery of food products there than in Toronto
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, no doubt. I went to NS a few times when one of my children was at school there. I liked it with the caveats that:

- work is problematic
- it's a relatively homogenous society and so it's more difficult to get a variery of food products there than in Toronto
I haven't done much cooking there, what food products does it lack?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't done much cooking there, what food products does it lack?
Camembert, garam masala, dim sum, gefiltre fish, durains, plantains, bacon ends, okra, Cailler chocolate, the perfect chicken korma.

Not a comprehensive list and I accept there may now be a Turkish restaurant in Meat Cove but, in general, the population lacks diversity compared to Toronto and so the food lacks diversity compared to Toronto.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Camembert, garam masala, dim sum, gefiltre fish, durains, plantains, bacon ends, okra, Cailler chocolate, the perfect chicken korma.

Not a comprehensive list and I accept there may now be a Turkish restaurant in Meat Cove but, in general, the population lacks diversity compared to Toronto and so the food lacks diversity compared to Toronto.
No Camembert???? What kind of backwater cesspit is this place, I shall have to break the news to my husband very gently.

The fruit & veg always looks very appetising compared to the junk the UK supermarkets spew out
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I commuted to the boystown area of Toronto from Melancthon for a year and a half. Melancthon is the least populated part of southern Ontario and is rural by southern Irish standards. The commute was too much for me but the worst of it was from the bottom of the 427 to Jarvis and then up. If one had a job that wasn't right downtown it would be workable. Most of the people I knew out there drove to town every day.

A poster on this board who has recently moved from NS to Alliston ON reports that the neighbour commutes to Toronto, Alliston is in an area of rolling hills with many horse farms, manicured rural one might call it, Berkshire rather than Shropshire.

If one could find a job in Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph/Barrie, somewhere like that, then one could fill one's boots with rurality. There's no ocean which is a shame but there's no shortage of rural pursuits:

Sweatpea's Mudbog - Home

Gosh, there are even two local tractor pulls and a ploughing match this coming weekend!
Would that be me?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Would that be me?
Well, yes. You post, I pay attention.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No Camembert???? What kind of backwater cesspit is this place, I shall have to break the news to my husband very gently.
Similar to the UK in this respect. The only Camembert you can find in either backwater is pasteurized (although I did once find a Camembert d'Isigny Lait Cru in the St. Lawrence Market and another time in Bruno's, both in or around Toronto).

Unfortunately on each occasion I paid over $17 for the stuff. It costs 3.25 euro here from whence I type, about one kilometre from the Isigny St. Mere factory gates.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Similar to the UK in this respect. The only Camembert you can find in either backwater is pasteurized (although I did once find a Camembert d'Isigny Lait Cru in the St. Lawrence Market and another time in Bruno's, both in or around Toronto).

Unfortunately on each occasion I paid over $17 for the stuff. It costs 3.25 euro here from whence I type, about one kilometre from the Isigny St. Mere factory gates.
I see unpasturised camembert and other unpasturised cheeses at the market fortnightly. I don't look at the prices, I just pile the cheese up at the till and point the staff to my overdraft.

Can one obtain raclet cheese in NS or do the people living in the east fetch it individually?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I see unpasturised camembert and other unpasturised cheeses at the market fortnightly. I don't look at the prices, I just pile the cheese up at the till and point the staff to my overdraft.

Can one obtain raclet cheese in NS or do the people living in the east fetch it individually?
Yes you can... In boutique stores though, not regular stores... is it easy to find in ON, haven't tried yet...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

Yes you can... In boutique stores though, not regular stores... is it easy to find in ON, haven't tried yet...
Easy, yes. Convenient, well, only if you're going to the Yard anyway.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can... In boutique stores though, not regular stores...
You're kidding? They don't stock it in Sobeys and Superstore like they do here?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Easy, yes. Convenient, well, only if you're going to the Yard anyway.
OK, deal. I will come to the Yard only so you can reveal the whereabouts of raclette cheese...

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You're kidding? They don't stock it in Sobeys and Superstore like they do here?
Bristol, I grew up in France. Raclette was a weekly meal in eastern France so I hunted high and low in NS and only ever found it in Pete's frootique...

Going off to dust off my raclette machine now...yum yum... need some good charcuterie to go with it too! Yay
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

OK, deal. I will come to the Yard only so you can reveal the whereabouts of raclette cheese...

Bristol, I grew up in France. Raclette was a weekly meal in eastern France so I hunted high and low in NS and only ever found it in Pete's frootique...

Going off to dust off my raclette machine now...yum yum... need some good charcuterie to go with it too! Yay
At the St. Lawrence Market, on the east side of the upper floor, there's a stand called Olympic Cheese (they also have a shop near the 404). They keep both French and Swiss raclet cheeses. There are other, parvenu, cheese stands but I don't go to them. A pound and a half of French raclet is currently about $27.

There are several stands where you can get bundefleisch (or however you spell that) and similar though we have discarded tradition and have sausages and mushrooms.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

At the St. Lawrence Market, on the east side of the upper floor, there's a stand called Olympic Cheese (they also have a shop near the 404). They keep both French and Swiss raclet cheeses. There are other, parvenu, cheese stands but I don't go to them. A pound and a half of French raclet is currently about $27.

There are several stands where you can get bundefleisch (or however you spell that) and similar though we have discarded tradition and have sausages and mushrooms.
$27 for 1 1/2 pounds seems cheap... must check it especially for in a couple of months time when it's cooler!!! Bundnerfleish I think you mean? Looks interesting. I always liked Black Forest ham or jambon de Luxeuil which is what it was called locally where I grew up...
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

$27 for 1 1/2 pounds seems cheap... must check it especially for in a couple of months time when it's cooler!!! Bundnerfleish I think you mean? Looks interesting. I always liked Black Forest ham or jambon de Luxeuil which is what it was called locally where I grew up...
Yes, that's the stuff, beef in the manner of pastrami.

$27 may seem reasonable but, while you're there you'll likely want a camembert, $9, and may as well take two as the second one will keep. And there's always a need for a pound of seven year white cheddar. And, well, we won't be back for a couple of weeks so let's not choose between the stilton with double Gloucester and the apricot one, and oooh, have we ever tried this goat one....

And, well, $27 would indeed be cheap if it were the whole cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.