Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Considering moving to Nova Scotia

Considering moving to Nova Scotia

Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering moving to Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, that's the stuff, beef in the manner of pastrami.

$27 may seem reasonable but, while you're there you'll likely want a camembert, $9, and may as well take two as the second one will keep. And there's always a need for a pound of seven year white cheddar. And, well, we won't be back for a couple of weeks so let's not choose between the stilton with double Gloucester and the apricot one, and oooh, have we ever tried this goat one....

And, well, $27 would indeed be cheap if it were the whole cost.
I tell you what I would look out for... Cancoillotte...now that is extremely yummy!!!
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I tell you what I would look out for... Cancoillotte...now that is extremely yummy!!!
I'll look out for it.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

OP, sorry for going slightly off track with cheese talk.

NS is a beautiful province and I was fortunate to live there for 3 years. We have relocated because my husband needed a job and couldn't find one in NS but this isn't to say you wouldn't find one...

It is a lovely place to live and there are some very lovely people there. They say that Maritimers are the friendliest Canadians and it is true that 99% of those I met were warm and welcoming.

Good luck with your research. My suggestion before making any decisions is to take a trip to NS and see whether it appeals
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Rokes35 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's OK; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. My fiancé has been to NS and we plan to go out as a family soon to check out various towns etc.. My biggest concern from reading various posts is for either one of us to find work. We don't both need to work, but one of us needs to work full time or both part time if that makes sense.

It would appear that for myself gaining a teaching post is going to be very difficult. It's certainly helped reading everyone's comments and it has provided us with more scope for research.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rokes35
That's OK; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. My fiancé has been to NS and we plan to go out as a family soon to check out various towns etc.. My biggest concern from reading various posts is for either one of us to find work. We don't both need to work, but one of us needs to work full time or both part time if that makes sense.

It would appear that for myself gaining a teaching post is going to be very difficult. It's certainly helped reading everyone's comments and it has provided us with more scope for research.
Do you know what visa route you'll be taking?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

That's something we are looking into, whether to gain a tourist visa then look for work or find work then gain a working permit. The latter is the more sensible option I would think.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

That's something we are looking into, whether to gain a tourist visa then look for work or find work then gain a working permit. The latter is the more sensible option I would think.
Don't move out on a tourist visa if you can't find work it'll be a waste of time & money plus you might even get turned away at the border if they think you intend to stay without the proper visa/permits.

Ask around & network when you are over there on holiday you might get lucky with a job offer but the perspective employer will have to do a load of paperwork & pay a fee to sponsor your application so don't be too surprised if most are not very responsive.

Other options depend on whether or not your occupations are on certain lists. There's the FSW route Canadian Immigration - Qualifying Occupations for Federal Skilled Worker Applications, this is changing in January I believe so if your occupation is on there & the cap for it hasn't been filled you would need to get an application in ASAP.

The Nova Scotia RMLD stream will reopen in January the previous job list was thishttp://www.emigraacanada.com/pdfs/20...ccupations.pdf, but that list might change when it reopens so keep your eyes open at what's happening with that, there'll probably be more information towards the end of the year.

There's others on here more knowledgeable than me that might have a better idea of what routes you can take. Also read the wiki (link in blue bar at top of page) for more information
Old Aug 19th 2014, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding teaching, it sounds like you are looking for university rather than school teaching? In that case the situation is a little different (from my experience). We moved to NS in 2013, and prior to moving we made a few recce trips, and on one I had a chat with a lecturer at SMU in Halifax. I wasn't particularly looking for lecturing work, but less than a year after I arrived I taught an 8 day course at 2yr degree course level, and am doing some teaching on a diploma course in the autumn. I have no formal teaching qualifications, only experience in the field (forensics) and I had taught the occasional university lecture in the UK.
Universities are much more willing to take on someone new to Canada, they are more used to it and they recognise the experience. I've seen quite a lot of lecturing posts advertised at the universities here. I would highly recommend browsing the employment pages of the different NS universities and seeing if there is anything in your field. I'd also suggest emailing the Heads of Department in your field and explaining you are planning on emigrating. Then do a recce trip and arrange to meet them in person.

We love it here, we are in the Annapolis Valley not too far from Acadia University and the lifestyle has been eveything we'd wanted. Sure we're not making the money we'd like yet, but then we're both endeavouring to be self-employed so that's a bit of a different setup! We also have no kids, so can be economical when we need to be (says she having just booked a Caribbean cruise - oops!)

Feel free to send me a message or email if you need more info
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

If you don't need full time, you could go on the substitute teacher register. But not until you have obtained registration which you can't do until you have PR.... obtaining school teaching is a bit of a nightmare.

You could look at NSCC, the community college which has campuses all over NS and doesn't need teacher registration. But more promising if you can do part time or contract.

What subject you teach? More demand for some than others. My OH is not in demand at all - art teacher ("resting").

I have comparable work to what I did in the UK, but I'm just a legal clerk. Same type of firm, comparable salary to Scotland. Downtown Halifax. We live in a wooded subdivision - an express bus goes downtown or it's a short drive, but away from the city and minutes from lakes and beaches. It's not all doom and gloom here.

No comment on the cheese situation.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They're essentially the same option as you'll have to do both anyway. You'll probably need to job hunt in person, then get job offer/LMIA and apply for work permit.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 20th 2014 at 6:43 am.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your post. My subject area is Travel and Tourism Level 1, 2 and 3 so all the way up to A Level. I have been looking at NSCC as they run T&T programmes. I am going to contact them to see if they have any vacancies and go from there. I understand that I need my qualifications certified and that this process can take around 6 months?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, I have no constructive suggestions for your job situation, but I just found this blog , which has a beautiful entry about Nova Scotia in it ( more from a travelling point of view)

45 Random Observations About Nova Scotia
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this; very interesting!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your post. My subject area is Travel and Tourism Level 1, 2 and 3 so all the way up to A Level. I have been looking at NSCC as they run T&T programmes. I am going to contact them to see if they have any vacancies and go from there. I understand that I need my qualifications certified and that this process can take around 6 months?
NSCC vacancies are now advertised on Career Beacon. Neither my husband nor I have been asked for certified qualifications, although it is easy to do. I presume you mean having them assessed for Canadian equivalence rather than school teaching registration (which is different and not needed for college work).

As an aside, NSCC is post secondary - usually 18 plus rather than the college we are used to, 16 to 18 year olds. That is the level my OH taught at - in his subject over the past year there has been one vacancy. He didn't get called for interview. Also bear in mind which campus your subject is taught at and that this can change from year to year. You would need to be flexible but I would guess the Dartmouth location is fairly stable for your subject.

CareerBeacon.com - Nova Scotia Community College >> Why Work at NSCC

You will have to have some sort of visa route worked out. We spoke to heads of department at NSCC over several years which was great but they can do nothing for you unless you have permission to work.