Reload this Page >

Considering emigrating to Canada

Considering emigrating to Canada

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

nigelinbrighton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering emigrating to Canada

Hello,

As an electrician who's been made redundant for the past two years and who's had little success in finding work opportunities in England a little more than a few years ago I've considered emigrating to Canada.

I realise that Canada has an unemployment rate at around 7% but I've heard that they've withstood the recession quite well.

Aside from the economic opportunities, how is the general weather in Canada? Is it typically cold and snowy?

How different is the culture in Canada? A friend of mine who's visited the place said that while there is great scenery he found a dearth of culture in Canada. Are there any uniquely Canadian activities that you enjoy?

And lastly, are their accents grating? Is the general Canadian accent as harsh as the general US accent?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

dippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Considering emigrating to Canada

you will go along way! how to win friends and influence people.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

A good wind-up always makes one's day go just that bit better! Many thanks.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 4:45 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the second time I have been moved to post this on this forum and you can call me naive but,
IS THIS PERSON FOR REAL?

(BTW, the last poster I asked this about WAS)
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

canmoreskier is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nigelinbrighton
Aside from the economic opportunities, how is the general weather in Canada? Is it typically cold and snowy?
It's cold and snowy all the time - apart from when it's hot and sunny.

How different is the culture in Canada? A friend of mine who's visited the place said that while there is great scenery he found a dearth of culture in Canada.
Absolutely no culture, but the scenery's quite scenic.

Are there any uniquely Canadian activities that you enjoy?
Moose-riding can be quite enjoyable. First, you have to catch a moose.

And lastly, are their accents grating? Is the general Canadian accent as harsh as the general US accent?
They're almost incomprehensible.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by canmoreskier
...They're almost incomprehensible.
Kind of like Glaswegians, then?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:17 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Kind of like Glaswegians, then?
Ach, awaw and bile yer heid.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

As an electrician who's been made redundant for the past two years and who's had little success in finding work opportunities in England a little more than a few years ago I've considered emigrating to Canada.

I realise that Canada has an unemployment rate at around 7% but I've heard that they've withstood the recession quite well.

How different is the culture in Canada? A friend of mine who's visited the place said that while there is great scenery he found a dearth of culture in Canada. Are there any uniquely Canadian activities that you enjoy?

Thanks for any advice.
Hi, I have sympathy for you asking these questions as I have recently moved over from near Worthing so not a million miles away - if your name is anything to go by -but I think you're going about it all the wrong way. The purpose of the forum is to make friends in similar situations and to benefit from their experience, not wind them up.

Things are different here but that's what adds to the charm of emigrating. You must have a general idea of climate and activities simply from what you see on TV and in books.
People are nice here usually and we are the ones with an accent, not them! After a while you don't even seem to notice it to be honest.
As for work it's like in England, some find it easy to get a job others not so much so...

Good luck with your research...
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by canmoreskier
It's cold and snowy all the time - apart from when it's hot and sunny.

Absolutely no culture, but the scenery's quite scenic.

Moose-riding can be quite enjoyable. First, you have to catch a moose.

They're almost incomprehensible.
Sorry if it is a real poster but this reply made me PMSL!!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:19 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by familyof4
Sorry if it is a real poster but this reply made me PMSL!!
Why be sorry?
If someone cannot use the internet or books to see what the climate of a country is, they haven't got much in the way of initiative.

If they are asking is an accent "grating", then they clearly have very few social skills.

If they are expecting to be successful immigrants with these attributes they need to get a reality check sooner rather than later IMHO.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

I agree with you helcat, i suppose the sorry thing is just me being 'brittish' we always apologise (or at least i do)

It clearly isnt someone wanting to go to Canada to work and live by the way they posted.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:42 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by familyof4
I agree with you helcat, i suppose the sorry thing is just me being 'brittish' we always apologise (or at least i do)

It clearly isnt someone wanting to go to Canada to work and live by the way they posted.
You are right.

They don't want to go to Canada for its own sake, since they know nothing about it.

They just want to go away from the UK because for them it is rubbish at the moment job-wise and probably Canada seems good because you don't have to speak foreign languages or change that much.

Not a recipe for success.

If this OP is a genuine poster then I would urge them to try to become a bit more open minded, get on the Internet and do some proper research (read Canadian newspapers, look at the job market, look at some of the house listings..... ) then get over to Canada for a trip or two and actually meet some people and experience the country before even mentioning emigrating.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
If they are asking is an accent "grating", then they clearly have very few social skills.
I don't think that holds. I can't imagine that anyone can listen to people from Birmingham without wanting to gag them and yet such people are able to shop and to travel. Most of the public must suppress that compelling urge for the sake of social convention.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:55 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think that holds. I can't imagine that anyone can listen to people from Birmingham without wanting to gag them and yet such people are able to shop and to travel. Most of the public must suppress that compelling urge for the sake of social convention.
If they suppress it, then that's going one step further down the road to tolerance than the OP appears to have shown.

I think it is fair to assume that it might be an issue for the OP if the accent was "grating" or why did they ask?

There are lots of accents and languages that seem harsh on the ear to non-natives. Many people think the Scots or Geordie or Liverpool accent doesn't make musical listening but if you are from that area then it sounds lovely.

An accent may take some getting used to for some people but it wouldn't be something that would be top of the list of questions to base an emigration decision on, surely?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
If they suppress it, then that's going one step further down the road to tolerance than the OP appears to have shown.

I think it is fair to assume that it might be an issue for the OP if the accent was "grating" or why did they ask?

There are lots of accents and languages that seem harsh on the ear to non-natives. Many people think the Scots or Geordie or Liverpool accent doesn't make musical listening but if you are from that area then it sounds lovely.

An accent may take some getting used to for some people but it wouldn't be something that would be top of the list of questions to base an emigration decision on, surely?
I wouldn't emigrate to Liverpool on grounds of intolerable cacophony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.