Reload this Page >

To consider Canada or not

To consider Canada or not

Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:21 am
Just Joined

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To consider Canada or not

Hi all,
I am probably posting a thread posted many times but hopefully someone who is similar to us and out reasons, who can offer advice, will read it
Myself 37, my wife 31 and our 8 month old baby have been talking about either a permanent move or a temporary move (possibly leading to permanent). To the mountains. We currently live in Cornwall UK.
We are considering Canada, PNW USA, or French Alps.
Canada has always been top of my list, for a number of reasons.
There seem to be fairly even pros and cons to each option though.
My wife is a teacher (we understand this will be difficult for her to continue in Canada)
I am a College lecturer in sustainable Architecture but I am also a carpenter.
We are outdoors people, hence the options of where to move. We climb, mountaineer, trail run, ski and surf (we just want to do more of it).
We are also open minded about what we end up doing for work, lifestyle is more important.
I won't post more now, or it will become an essay.
Hope to hear some advice, on any aspect
Many thanks
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To consider Canada or not

Myself 37, my wife 31 and our 8 month old baby have been talking about either a permanent move or a temporary move
Child prodigy?
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobble
Hi all,
I am probably posting a thread posted many times but hopefully someone who is similar to us and out reasons, who can offer advice, will read it
Myself 37, my wife 31 and our 8 month old baby have been talking about either a permanent move or a temporary move (possibly leading to permanent). To the mountains. We currently live in Cornwall UK.
My wife is a teacher (we understand this will be difficult for her to continue in Canada)
We are outdoors people, hence the options of where to move. We climb, mountaineer, trail run, ski and surf (we just want to do more of it).
We are also open minded about what we end up doing for work, lifestyle is more important.
Many thanks
Well, unless you have a great degree or are in a management position in a company with a US presence, then forget the USA, you will just not get a visa. Canada, you need to look at the Canada Wiki and see what sort of score you would be able to get for EE, also look at the visa requirements carefully.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:33 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

French Alps. If BC, pursue the carpentry route (although you will find the cost of living horrendous).
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:34 am
Just Joined

bristol, haha yep, it was his idea too!
I have been through the points scheme and comfortably have enough but that is as far as we have gone, so far
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Many thanks

Hi there,

I'm no expert on the subject, so I wont go into the whole can you emigrate as opposed to the why you want to debate..
I'm sure there will be erm, well intentioned people on here to point that out to you if they can.

But I'm just curious (bit of self analysis on myself here I suppose also)
If its 'mountains' and outdoor activities you are looking for have you ever considered moving to sunny Scotland? North / West coast has everything on your list..
280 odd Munro's to climb and ski on, lochs + rivers to play on, mountain biking, treks, even surfing so I hear lol etc.
Weather may be a bit damper than the French alps I'll give you that one!

Last edited by Roberto1980; Sep 12th 2015 at 11:51 am.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Hi there,

I'm no expert on the subject, so I wont go into the whole can you emigrate as opposed to the why you want to debate..
I'm sure there will be erm, well intentioned people on here to point that out to you if they can.

If its 'mountains' and outdoor activities you are looking for have you ever considered moving to sunny Scotland? North West coast has everything on your list.. 280ish Munro's to climb and ski on, lochs + rivers to play on, mountain biking, treks, even surfing so I hear lol etc.
Weather may be a bit damper than the French alps I'll give you that one!
Indeed. There's even an argument that Scottish and Welsh mountain terrain is far more accessible than Canada's, simply because the country is more compact and the road network better.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:58 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Many thanks
why dont you read the following thread before posting further

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...used-s-864729/
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Indeed. There's even an argument that Scottish and Welsh mountain terrain is far more accessible than Canada's, simply because the country is more compact and the road network better.

I agree. Where I live (just west of Glasgow) In regards to outdoor activities and accessibility to it all, can't be faulted.
15/20 mins from Loch Lomond surrounding mountains and everything else that entails.

As we (my wife and kids) are planning on emigrating in the near future, that element of it all is something I will be comparing. As that is something I have grown to appreciate
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:07 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
I agree. Where I live (just west of Glasgow) In regards to outdoor activities and accessibility to it all, can't be faulted.
15/20 mins from Loch Lomond surrounding mountains and everything else that entails.

As we (my wife and kids) are planning on emigrating in the near future, that element of it all is something I will be comparing. As that is something I have grown to appreciate
Expand your circle to say 3 hours (a day trip) and compare to what can be reached in Canada. There will be less variety, although, in the Rockies, a bit more intensity!
Old Sep 12th 2015, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

All valid points and things we have been backwards and forwards over.
I used to live in the lakes and briefly in North Wales. I love UK mountains but.....We want more alpine terrain for climbing and more great wilderness for exploring. I spend a fair bit of time in the Alps and love it but its the compactness that I don't think I want. With regard to the UK, the seasons are just too meh, particularly winter.
I want to be able to cross country ski/snowshoe to the shops/work etc. head into the mountains for multi day uninterrupted wilderness and climbing and all those other unrealistic dreams, when you have to earn a living and raise family
Essentially it is all about lifestyle and letting the kids grow up where they are free to become ski or mountaineering bums, if they choose. We will take cons in our stride to achieve that, life pretty good now but we reckon it could be better.

Last edited by bobble; Sep 12th 2015 at 1:54 pm. Reason: forgot to add something
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

All valid points and things we have been backwards and forwards over.
I used to live in the lakes and briefly in North Wales. I love UK mountains but.....We want more alpine terrain for climbing and more great wilderness for exploring. I spend a fair bit of time in the Alps and love it but its the compactness that I don't think I want. With regard to the UK, the seasons are just too meh, particularly winter.
I want to be able to cross country ski/snowshoe to the shops/work etc. head into the mountains for multi day uninterrupted wilderness and climbing and all those other unrealistic dreams, when you have to earn a living and raise family
Essentially it is all about lifestyle and letting the kids grow up where they are free to become ski or mountaineering bums, if they choose. We will take cons in our stride to achieve that, life pretty good now but we reckon it could be better.
Have you ever experienced a Canadian winter, and I don't just mean for a holday..
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
French Alps. If BC, pursue the carpentry route (although you will find the cost of living horrendous).
Vancouver real estate prices may be considered expensive, but that doesn't make the whole of the province 'horrendous' in terms of living costs - that's just misinformation.

BC's interior ski resorts offer much more modestly priced property and are generally within a stones throw of cities that offer work opportunities if living at the ski hill itself doesn't appeal or isn't practical.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:51 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Have you ever experienced a Canadian winter, and I don't just mean for a holday..
A BC winter is hardly difficult to adapt to or live with.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

then come for a recce first, see the place maybe search the job market, schools & housing

Whisler BC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistl...itish_Columbia

climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistl...lumbia#Climate

properties
Whistler Listing System - Your source for all listings in Whistler.

schools
The Best 10 Elementary Schools in Whistler, BC V0N, Canada

jobs
Restaurant and Food Service Managers Whistler British Columbia - Job Bank

Jobs in Whistler, BC | Indeed.com

whistler / squamish jobs - craigslist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.