Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The cons of Canada??!!

The cons of Canada??!!

Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cons of Canada??!!

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Possibly an unanswerable question: With the hire/fire mentality in North America, how is it when you are faced with huge delays clearing 6ft of snow before a commute and the subsequent lateness? Are most employers understanding about this kind of thing? Or is this not an issue?
I don't let it be an issue. If I don't think I'm going to be able to get back to the office in time the next day I don't go home. It's not uncommon for people to stay in or near offices on bad weather days, especially those who depend on transit. Road conditions aren't completely predictable, of course, but last winter I missed only three billable hours due to snow.

Employer's attitudes vary but, I think I would be tempting fate to be late because of a generally avoidable cause like weather. My neighbours think they got their house at the low price they did because the previous occupant, who worked as a cop thirty miles away, was told that if he didn't move immediately he'd lose his job.

In the winter I pass lots of houses/farms that have vehicles parked at the roadside even though the house is far up a lane, people use a tractor or snowmobile to get to the road and drive from there. I suppose that, like me, they clear the snow in the evening. What they do about the windrows (the barrier built by ploughs, I don't know).

I'm actually well placed as the driveway slopes to the road, I blast down the drive, through the snow barrier and out on to the road, I can't see if something's coming but it never has been. At night I stop on the road and clear the drive before driving or towing (depending on the amount of ice) the car up for the next day. The chore with all this is changing in the car into snow pants and boots so as to be able to trudge to the tractor. There's a nasty urgency to that as, in winter, the road is only one car wide and if something comes along it's likely to hit my parked car.

Commuting however is nothing like the horror that getting water to the barn is when the line is frozen.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

diesel t dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlie1
be sure your job offer includes medical benefits, as insulin etc here is very expensive, approx $1000 per month without medical cover

Hi Charlie1, Thanks for the info, is $1000 a month an actual price? We have tried to find out through diabetes ca website what a realistic price for insulin is in canada but can't seem to get any answers.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:38 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't let it be an issue. If I don't think I'm going to be able to get back to the office in time the next day I don't go home. It's not uncommon for people to stay in or near offices on bad weather days, especially those who depend on transit. Road conditions aren't completely predictable, of course, but last winter I missed only three billable hours due to snow.

Employer's attitudes vary but, I think I would be tempting fate to be late because of a generally avoidable cause like weather. My neighbours think they got their house at the low price they did because the previous occupant, who worked as a cop thirty miles away, was told that if he didn't move immediately he'd lose his job.

In the winter I pass lots of houses/farms that have vehicles parked at the roadside even though the house is far up a lane, people use a tractor or snowmobile to get to the road and drive from there. I suppose that, like me, they clear the snow in the evening. What they do about the windrows (the barrier built by ploughs, I don't know).

I'm actually well placed as the driveway slopes to the road, I blast down the drive, through the snow barrier and out on to the road, I can't see if something's coming but it never has been. At night I stop on the road and clear the drive before driving or towing (depending on the amount of ice) the car up for the next day. The chore with all this is changing in the car into snow pants and boots so as to be able to trudge to the tractor. There's a nasty urgency to that as, in winter, the road is only one car wide and if something comes along it's likely to hit my parked car.

Commuting however is nothing like the horror that getting water to the barn is when the line is frozen.
Yeah, rain isn't so bad.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kastan
We had no problem sorting out a doctor,actually we went to see 3 doctors at various location's and then made our choose.The only thing was all the doctors we did see were all South African,they seem to like the Island i guess.Workwise i am self employed,so cannot comment on finding a job.
Our next door neighbour is a GP so luckily for us we are registered with her surgery.

I felt bad at first as my friends at work still haven't got a GP and they've been here years longer than me
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
may i ask what the snow is like around kentville area in NS sounds like it could be fun
I used to think the same about snow until I got here. My wife couldn't understand it but she always had this knowing look when I used to talk excitedly about it. The extreme falls that we had here last winter killed off any last, lingering doubt of fun...?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:41 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
I used to think the same about snow until I got here. My wife couldn't understand it but she always had this knowing look when I used to talk excitedly about it. The extreme falls that we had here last winter killed off any last, lingering doubt of fun...?
I have 4 pairs of Ski's, a set of snow blades, CCM Ice skates, a snowboard (still in the wrapping)
some of the best winter gear money can buy
and a snow blower

and after the last winters snow dumps.... I f***ing hate the stuff.......
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:40 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bazzz
Yeah, rain isn't so bad.
Rain is grey drab and depressing like the UK, at least with snow you can do something with it and enjoy it, enjoying a puddle just isnt the same!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Rain is grey drab and depressing like the UK, at least with snow you can do something with it and enjoy it, enjoying a puddle just isnt the same!
My best ever moments involved puddles.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:58 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
My best ever moments involved puddles.
You aay puddles to me I think of shallow idiots with the brain the size of a pea though.

Although the brava is going down nicely now so maybe that has something to do with it!! No Grolsch for me
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:06 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

There's still snow, it just confines itself to the local mountains.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:59 am
No time for muppets!

Originally Posted by bazzz
There's still snow, it just confines itself to the local mountains.
I live in Ontario - what are mountains again?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:12 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Ontario - what are mountains again?
As a visitor from the UK once described them.

"Big piles of rocks" in western Alberta and B.C.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie1
be sure your job offer includes medical benefits, as insulin etc here is very expensive, approx $1000 per month without medical cover
Where the hell are you buying it from at that price.

I just picked up 3 months supply last night. Total cost $900 (including test strips). I use 30 units of Lantus and approx 50 (depending on how many donouts from Timmies I want to eat) of Novorapid a day. This should give you some form of comparison. Novarapid is relatively cheap, it's the Lantus that is expensive.

I am lucky in that my benefits pay my prescriptions in full. I cannot imagine how anyone could burn through $3000 worth of insulin in the same period
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:04 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! Sinead you sure kicked off a thread and a half here.

Glad to hear OH has landed some work and I think give him 3-6 months of local work and he will get something more in line with his skills.

Someone told me to try the Oromocto casualty if Fredericton Hospital was slow. It is only about 20 min drive and often zero queue. As for a doc have you registered on der list? Our GP was found by accident when I was trying to get a prescription in a walk in clinic. i.e I talked with her and told her the problem we had getting a GP and she told me to call her receptionist. I know she is moving into part time working so I doubt she will have any spare slots.

Tip Get to the walk in and use your accent Stress how healthy you all are and you are looking for peace of mind.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
WOW! Sinead you sure kicked off a thread and a half here.

Glad to hear OH has landed some work and I think give him 3-6 months of local work and he will get something more in line with his skills.

Someone told me to try the Oromocto casualty if Fredericton Hospital was slow. It is only about 20 min drive and often zero queue. As for a doc have you registered on der list? Our GP was found by accident when I was trying to get a prescription in a walk in clinic. i.e I talked with her and told her the problem we had getting a GP and she told me to call her receptionist. I know she is moving into part time working so I doubt she will have any spare slots.

Tip Get to the walk in and use your accent Stress how healthy you all are and you are looking for peace of mind.
LOL yip I sure did get a big thread going Yeah after speaking to a few collegues about our experience at the Fredericton Hospital everyone was saying we should have tried Oromocto - we'll know for next time!!!
We have registered on the doc list but apparently there is around 2000 on that list!!! Fingers crossed we may have a lead on a doctor in Stanley so about a 20/30 min drive away but still better than nothing.

On a different note at least we have the BBQ on Saturday to look forward too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.