Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Connection from T5 to T1 at Heathrow..?

Connection from T5 to T1 at Heathrow..?

Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Zercher is on a distinguished road
Default Connection from T5 to T1 at Heathrow..?

Hey guys,

I have a flight home at Christmas - arriving in Heathrow terminal 5 at 1.40pm from Vancouver. Thing is I have to then connect to a flight to Dublin which leaves terminal 1 at 3.20pm.

Surely this is cutting it fine to get from one flight to the next, even with baggage checked through? Plus if there's any delay along the way I'd be sure to miss the connection.

Thoughts? All quick replies most appreciated...
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Connection from T5 to T1 at Heathrow..?

Nearly two hours should be fine. Ive had far smaller connection windows than that with no issue. Just hope the Vancouver flight is on time

Originally Posted by Zercher
Hey guys,

I have a flight home at Christmas - arriving in Heathrow terminal 5 at 1.40pm from Vancouver. Thing is I have to then connect to a flight to Dublin which leaves terminal 1 at 3.20pm.

Surely this is cutting it fine to get from one flight to the next, even with baggage checked through? Plus if there's any delay along the way I'd be sure to miss the connection.

Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Nearly two hours should be fine. Ive had far smaller connection windows than that with no issue. Just hope the Vancouver flight is on time
Cheers. What would the deal be if it was delayed...guess they put you on the next flight...but surely they'd be booked out...?I'm flying on the 23rd Dec so would be arriving into London on Christmas Eve. Can imagine flights being fully booked out on a day like Christmas Eve!
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers. What would the deal be if it was delayed...guess they put you on the next flight...but surely they'd be booked out...?I'm flying on the 23rd Dec so would be arriving into London on Christmas Eve. Can imagine flights being fully booked out on a day like Christmas Eve!
If you miss your connection it is the next available flight not next flight. No connection is guaranteed and assumes your connection is not with another carrier. BA084 usually runs a good schedule though and east bound flights are going with a tail wind. Hopefully no snow delays at YVR.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 17th 2010 at 10:10 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Guess you were the right man to ask Aviator!

What I don't get is that it says on the Heathrow site that it takes 90 mins to go from T5 to T1, allowing for passport control and security though? Hmm I dunno.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/
Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:27 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Is there another Dublin flight later than 3:20pm with available seats, of course?
Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Is there another Dublin flight later than 3:20pm with available seats, of course?
Yep, just got a quote for a flight an hour later - 4.20pm leaving for Dublin. Costs a fair few quid but it's on the 23rd Dec so it'd mean I'd get home a day earlier and wouldn't miss Christmas Eve at home..
Old Oct 18th 2010, 3:56 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Is your onward flight with BA and are you travelling on a single interlined ticket? If not then you would likely have no protection on the onward flight and also may have to collect your bags in LHR. I'm not an expert on this as I dont check bags often, but I would confirm.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:56 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

I'd take your tooth brush and a couple of pairs of knickers in your hand luggage, just in case.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
I'd take your tooth brush and a couple of pairs of knickers in your hand luggage, just in case.
Ya suggesting I cross-dress is it?

Got meself booked on a flight a day earlier with a slightly longer layover so get to actually enjoy Christmas Eve now Yup, both flights are with BA.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:26 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ya suggesting I cross-dress is it?

Got meself booked on a flight a day earlier with a slightly longer layover so get to actually enjoy Christmas Eve now Yup, both flights are with BA.
Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but that fact that both flights are with the same airline is nether here nor there.

They need to be booked through as a single journey for the airline to have a responsibility to you if you miss your onward flight.

If they are booked as two seperate journeys and the first one is late , then the late airline has no obligation to you.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but that fact that both flights are with the same airline is nether here nor there.

They need to be booked through as a single journey for the airline to have a responsibility to you if you miss your onward flight.

If they are booked as two seperate journeys and the first one is late , then the late airline has no obligation to you.
You are quite correct. However when the onward part of the journey is with the same carrier or affiliate, they often try to help out. Travel insurance is worth having, just in case.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:08 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

That was my question about interlining

If two separate tickets I would call and ask them to link the PNRs. No guarantee of anything but helpful.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lmartin999
That was my question about interlining

If two separate tickets I would call and ask them to link the PNRs. No guarantee of anything but helpful.
Sorry lmartin - I only read the first part of your question - the 'Is your onward flight with BA' bit

Yes, I've booked on a single interlined ticket. I didn't book each flight separately.