Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

:confused: How much of a pay cut is "acceptable"

:confused: How much of a pay cut is "acceptable"

Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:57 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all
Default :confused: How much of a pay cut is "acceptable"

Let us assume for a moment we are talking about Harry.
Harry is fairly happy and Harry earns around 85000 Pounds in the United Kingdom.

But for private reasons Harry really wants to be in Canada to be closer to his partner Sally. Now sally says, Harry, do not move unless you are happy with your life and your choice I cana lso come to you.

Harry has this job offered in the GTA at around 120K (Canadian) with around 11% company proift share (so all in all around 132K) and he is not sure whether that is a good paycut to take.

What would you tell Harry and please do not be sarcastic about the amount of money or anything. Even though packaged a little funny, this is a very serious question.

Thank you
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:00 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: :confused: How much of a pay cut is "acceptable"

The pay cut's irrelevant, isn't the lifestyle that can be afforded a better way to look at it?

Or isn't more time with Sally worth it's weight in gold?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:01 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It aint about the money....

You go where you will be happy. The amount of money (once past subsistence level, which this clearly is) is totally immaterial.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:03 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
It aint about the money....

You go where you will be happy. The amount of money (once past subsistence level, which this clearly is) is totally immaterial.
That is a very romantic point of view but Harry does have a lifestyle he wants to half-ways keep. I guess Harry's question is whether this is simply a fact of life and it is an acceptable valuation from an canadian employer.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:04 pm
Sempai

Originally Posted by R I C H
The pay cut's irrelevant, isn't the lifestyle that can be afforded a better way to look at it?
Very true, I guess that is one of the things Harry would love to know as well.
Is loosing around 50K (In Canadian dollars) going to impact massively on savings...

Harry does not have a mortage and Harry does not own a car (but would love to in Canada). Harry likes very expensive chocolate, expensive wine and loves to go to the opera and theater.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
If Harry follows his heart he will go not matter about the money!
If he follows his greed he will stay
If he is truthful to himself he will move for a new lifestyle, happiness etc if that is what he wants.
If Harry lacks courage he will never decide and will always regret it!
Finally think of Meatloaf
Whats it gonna be boy Yes or No
Let me sleep on it babe babe
I'll give you answer in the morning
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me that Harry would be happier staying in the Uk and enjoying his amazing life there?

Originally Posted by retsujou
Is loosing around 50K (In Canadian dollars) going to impact massively on savings...

Harry does not have a mortage and Harry does not own a car (but would love to in Canada). Harry likes very expensive chocolate, expensive wine and loves to go to the opera and theater.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:14 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Is Harry a rugger bugger type ?

why does Harry spell theater not theatre ?

does Sally do that thing in the cafe in public

i used to live in Morden, well closer to Wimbledon actually , intersection of tram line and Kington Rd - near the pub - White Hart ?

stick to London mate - reading between the lines
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a very romantic point of view but Harry does have a lifestyle he wants to half-ways keep. I guess Harry's question is whether this is simply a fact of life and it is an acceptable valuation from an canadian employer.
Personally I go where my dick leads me.

However, from a career perspective, moving to Canada is never going to work, there will always be a pay cut and, if things don't work out with the employer in Canada there's much less choice of jobs here. From a career perspective, the only place that might be up from Europe for a computer professional is the US. Still, career isn't everything and being VP of a Canadian software company can keep one in expensive hobbies. That depends on the hobbies though, yachts, horses, former spouses yes, opera and theatre, not so much.

That money could buy a nice life on Canadian terms, perhaps even with a box at the Ice Dogs, but it can't buy the same things as 85,000 quid does in Europe. You need to be a big more of a Philistine.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Harry likes very expensive chocolate, expensive wine and loves to go to the opera and theater.
Harry sounds like a bit of a prat. Probably better off in Vienna.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
Hi
If Harry follows his heart he will go not matter about the money!
If he follows his greed he will stay
If he is truthful to himself he will move for a new lifestyle, happiness etc if that is what he wants.
If Harry lacks courage he will never decide and will always regret it!
Finally think of Meatloaf
Whats it gonna be boy Yes or No
I'll give you answer in the morning
He says he likes opera and you quote meatloaf. That so well defines the "lifestyle cut" implied in the move.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Then the money will matter to him and he may resent losing some of his potential earnings by moving.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
Then the money will matter to him and he may resent losing some of his potential earnings by moving.
What do you mean by "potential earnings" in this context?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

What would the implications for Sally's career be, were she to move? Is that something she would be likely to resent in the long term?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:21 pm
Sempai

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Sounds to me that Harry would be happier staying in the Uk and enjoying his amazing life there?
Very good point, however Harry does love his Sally and that will means a Canadian needs to immigrate to the UK (well EU whatever).

I would guess you are all raising a very good point, it seems 120K (well 132K) is enough money live easily in the GTA (taking into account that Sally would bring home around 70K as well).

Harry just needs to hear some more encouraging words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.