Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Condenser tumble dryers - can you buy them here?

Condenser tumble dryers - can you buy them here?

Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:30 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice
Default Condenser tumble dryers - can you buy them here?

Hi,

We are looking to convert our basement which ideally means moving the dryer and washing machine. We had a great condenser tumble dryer in England that didn't require a vent to the outside - you just emptied water from it everytime it was full. I've had a quick look on Futureshop and Sears web sites but don't see any. Are they not available in Canada or are they called something else?

Thanks,
CB
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:59 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of
Default Re: Condenser tumble dryers - can you buy them here?

Ive never seen one. Why not just put a vent in the basement wall, if there isnt one already? Its good enough for everyone else.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:14 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Ive never seen one. Why not just put a vent in the basement wall, if there isnt one already? Its good enough for everyone else.
Where I want to move the dryer too, I can't easily vent to an outside wall without then having to box in the hose.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
Hi,

We are looking to convert our basement which ideally means moving the dryer and washing machine. We had a great condenser tumble dryer in England that didn't require a vent to the outside - you just emptied water from it everytime it was full. I've had a quick look on Futureshop and Sears web sites but don't see any. Are they not available in Canada or are they called something else?

Thanks,
CB
Never seen or heard of them in the 43 years I've been here.

I have seen cheap devices to just vent the hot air into the basement, some homes are dry enough you don't need to condense the output it helps humidify the home.

Alternatively can't you just run the vent tubing between the joists to a vent on an outside wall.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:20 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Alternatively can't you just run the vent tubing between the joists to a vent on an outside wall.

Cheers
Steve
Thats what weve done. Plus in the winter we vent directly inside from time to time to humidify the house a bit. You can buy two way diverter boxes to make that easy to do. The downside to running hose through the joists is if you finish the basement the hose will be in the ceiling, and from time to time as the lint builds up you might want to clean or replace the tube..which is more of a pin under those circumstances.

Im not finishing the basement anyway for fear of what that will do to my tax assesment, and cos I cant afford to loose 4" headroom down there.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 27th 2007 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Never seen or heard of them in the 43 years I've been here.

Steve
Not quite 43 years, but I've never heard of them either. In fact, I'm having trouble figuring out how they work?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:56 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not quite 43 years, but I've never heard of them either. In fact, I'm having trouble figuring out how they work?
Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumble_...nsation_dryers

They are very widespread back home.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumble_...nsation_dryers

They are very widespread back home.
Cool. Thanks.